COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:33:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 148548 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: April 02, 2020, 02:10:56 PM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1426 on: April 02, 2020, 02:11:56 PM »

If you're talking about Rush Limbaugh, etc., you're right.  Their concern is to protect their goals at the expense of many lives lost.

Last I heard, he was more of the other extreme (i.e., denial). I don't know what he's done since then.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1427 on: April 02, 2020, 02:14:58 PM »

If you're talking about Rush Limbaugh, etc., you're right.  Their concern is to protect their goals at the expense of many lives lost.

Last I heard, he was more of the other extreme (i.e., denial). I don't know what he's done since then.

He is in denial, which was my point.  He doesn't care about the truth.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #1428 on: April 02, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2020, 02:21:33 PM by roxas11 »

Dr. Fauci on threats to his safety and the need for personal security in light of these threats: "I've chosen this life".

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/fauci-threats-his-safety-i-ve-chosen-life-n1174816

WASHINGTON — Dr. Anthony Fauci said Thursday that he remains focused on his work fighting the coronavirus pandemic despite reports of threats to his personal safety.

In an interview on NBC's "TODAY" show, host Savannah Guthrie asked the nation's top infectious disease expert whether he feels personally threatened or whether he and his family feel safe, a reference to reports that he has received a protection from the federal government.

"I've chosen this life. I mean I know what it is," Fauci said. "There are things about it that are sometimes disturbing. But you just focus on the job you have to do, and just put all that stuff aside and try as best as possible not to pay attention to it."

What in the world?! Why are people threatening him? Are they seriously trying to shoot the messenger here?

The right-wing echo chamber online has decided that this is some kind of conspiracy, that Fauci is worsening as part of some 'left-wing, deep-state cabal'.

It's the same mindset that leads these people to believe that the entire scientific community is lying about global warming for personal gain, but taken to a new extreme.

If Fauci is attacked, blame the Hannity's and Bill Mitchell's who started the narrative of this as a Democratic hoax to drag Trump's poll numbers down.

Source:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/technology/coronavirus-fauci-trump-conspiracy-target.html
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/dr-fauci-security-reportedly-expanded-as-infectious-disease-expert-faces-threats
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/hero-or-villain-dr-fauci-symbolizes-everything-about-the-trump-era-media-climate/2020/03/31/54ccc15e-734b-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html

Also, posted by Mitchell within the last hour:

As much as I want to ignore the guy, he's part of a wider network of bomb-throwers that we need to call out. This is exactly the kind of message that is going to get good people hurt.

This is a very dangerous road they are starting to go down and if they are not careful somebody is going to get hurt.

Fanci is not some politician or left wing liberal

He is in many ways the face of the US response to this virus and by turning people against him
that could make some on the right start to ignore his warnings about the virus and that will get people killed.  This is not the usual political games that Bill Mitchell like to play and it has far more deadly consequences than attacking someone like Bernie or Biden
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1429 on: April 02, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »

Over 10%? That's worse than 2008.

The last time the US saw unemployment over 10% was the winter of 1982.

(It bears noting that this graph comes from a White House Jobs Report, bragging about how low the rate was this time last year, in case you needed a reminder about what an impact this could have electorally)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1430 on: April 02, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »

Fanci is not some politician or left wing liberal

Maybe the problem is that he isn't a left-wing liberal.

We also need to hear from experts outside the medical field who deal with the nonmedical or social aspects of this crisis.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1431 on: April 02, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2020, 02:37:27 PM by parochial boy »

Has there been any speculation on why the fatalities in New York City seem to be so much younger than elsewhere? Like apparently 6% of victims are mid-40s or younger, compared to like 1% in Italy or Spain; and the average age of a fatality is like 10 years younger than what has been reported from elsewhere. I figured it might be NYC having a generally younger population - but that wouldn't really explain the extent of the difference?
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1432 on: April 02, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2020, 03:30:39 PM by Aunty Entity »

Well, that's a wrap folks.

2. Do drugs
3. Seize the means of production
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1433 on: April 02, 2020, 02:36:44 PM »

Thanks, Obama!  Red and angry
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1434 on: April 02, 2020, 02:44:21 PM »

Has there been any speculation on why the fatalities in New York City seem to be so much younger than elsewhere? Like apparently 6% of victims are mid-40s or younger, compared to like 1% in Italy or Spain; and the average age of a fatality is like 10 years younger than what has been reported from elsewhere. I figured it might be NYC having a generally younger population - but that wouldn't really explain the extent of the difference?

NYC does have a significantly younger population than most metro areas. I suspect an additional part of it may be that youngs are more likely to use the subway more, and I would bet that the subway and other public transportation is one of the main vectors through which it has been transmitted in NYC.

There are also significantly lower obesity rates. This is also one reason why the fatality rate in other metro areas and rural areas may end up being larger. The US also has a lot more of an issue with obesity than the previous main countries that have been focused on, China and Italy.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1435 on: April 02, 2020, 03:06:34 PM »

It doesn't really matter what Nate has patience for. The U.S. had plenty of warning and the number of cases has exploded. New York City has almost as many cases as all of Italy. Should we adjust that for population? The United States is doing the worst on this, period. A life in the United States is worth as much as a life in any other country, regardless how big our denominator in per capita is.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1436 on: April 02, 2020, 03:27:59 PM »

Worldwide cases have now passed one million, per the Johns Hopkins map.

Cases 1,002,159
Deaths 51,485
Recovered 208,949
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1437 on: April 02, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »

1,355 new deaths in France according to Worldometer. That's quite a jump, hope it's an error or hack because that would be a huge increase.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1438 on: April 02, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »

Worldwide cases have now passed one million, per the Johns Hopkins map.

Cases 1,002,159
Deaths 51,485
Recovered 208,949
Horrible, horrible, horrible.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1439 on: April 02, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »

1,355 new deaths in France according to Worldometer. That's quite a jump, hope it's an error or hack because that would be a huge increase.

It's deaths in old people's homes that weren't being reported up until now. Nearly 900 in all. So it's a catch up from previous underreporting, but might look similarly bad over the next few days as there are still more cases to uncover.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1440 on: April 02, 2020, 03:40:27 PM »

It's deaths in old people's homes that weren't being reported up until now. Over 800 in all. So it's a catch up from previous underreporting.

Yeah I was also thinking maybe they backdated the people dying at home or in nursing homes. That's really sad. I think we'll find the total deaths will be much higher when experts look at the deaths compared to previous years. Record keepers in Italy are already saying that the total is underreported and many more people than expected are dying and not being counted because they're older.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1441 on: April 02, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »

A nursing home in my town (population about 17k) reported over a dozen new cases yesterday or the day before. I'm expecting it won't end there.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #1442 on: April 02, 2020, 03:42:34 PM »

How many other folks on this forum have chronicled that they are experiencing COVID-like symptoms? Have we heard from them recently as to how they are doing?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1443 on: April 02, 2020, 03:52:43 PM »

How many other folks on this forum have chronicled that they are experiencing COVID-like symptoms? Have we heard from them recently as to how they are doing?

Extreme fatigue on March 8. If it was coronavirus, I'm recovered now.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1444 on: April 02, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »

We've had a handful of confirmed cases for TE-users.  I'm not certain about just symptoms. 
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1445 on: April 02, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »

It doesn't really matter what Nate has patience for. The U.S. had plenty of warning and the number of cases has exploded. New York City has almost as many cases as all of Italy. Should we adjust that for population? The United States is doing the worst on this, period. A life in the United States is worth as much as a life in any other country, regardless how big our denominator in per capita is.

Ugh, stop it. Trump's brilliant decision gave US 2 weeks or so. Some States Officials used it well (CA), some did NOT (NY).

CA, despite having large metropolises is doing better than EU on average. NY is, on the other hand, worst in the world. Other US states are somewhere in between. Even with NY, US is doing ~as well as EU. Likely better economically (see stimulus). Likely IMO will do better "medically", because of having more beds, ventilators per capita and so on. But it is getting repetitive. I provide stats, you guys feeling.

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1446 on: April 02, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »

How is it possible that France had 1355 deaths today but only 2116 new cases?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1447 on: April 02, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »

Horrid news from France.

https://www.ft.com/content/68d06b8d-e927-3bf8-a837-68df528e1268
Two-thirds of old people’s homes in eastern France hit by virus
Two-thirds of old people’s homes in eastern France have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, and 570 residents have died from the disease in the Grand Est region alone, according to regional health authorities cited by French media.

Those 570 people are not recorded in France’s official coronavirus death toll, which has reached 4,032 but so far counts only those who have died in hospital. Eastern France was the first region to be badly hit by the pandemic, but hospitals in the Paris region are now also at risk of being overwhelmed by patients needing intensive care.

The Grand Est region is the first in France to give numbers for deaths in old people’s homes. It said 411 of the region’s 620 homes had been affected by the virus. Nationwide, some 7,000 such institutions care for nearly 700,000 people who are typically in their 80s or 90s and in many cases suffer from dementia.

Covid-19’s mortality rate from Covid-19 rises sharply in old age, and thousands of elderly people are estimated to have died across western Europe from coronavirus in the past month.

I've read something similar about Italy and Spain.

Coming soon to The Villages, Florida (which voted almost 70% for Trump), which I would guess will end up having lower turnout this time around.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/18/florida-senior-citizens-vote-election-2018-218758
Tilt R—>Likely D

Stop it. (Sorry, if I'm wrong and it just was a dark humor).

(Old) poors, rural (low number of beds?), African Americans and Illegals will fairly likely  be overrepresented.

Crucial Waukesha
nloeb
Rookie

« Reply #1448 on: April 02, 2020, 04:40:23 PM »

They added 800+ new deaths that had occurred in nursing homes over the last month but had not been a part of their official mortality count
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1449 on: April 02, 2020, 04:41:33 PM »

They added statistics from old people’s homes (that wasn't included before). But even without it they test less then US.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies