COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:59:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 149299 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: March 29, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »

Penn, hope you're ok and it's just a cold. Sad

As for a possible commission, I think a 9/11 or Challenger style commission is inevitable at this point.

Italy did have 2 straight days of drops in deaths but they were all significantly higher than the last several days before that when people thought the curve was flattening, so I don't know what to make of that.

I'm doing alright today, thank you.  

Like I said, it's definitely uncomfortable.  I feel overheated and my muscles are aching -- especially my lower back.  The biggest red flag to me is that I'm not experiencing a runny nose or any issues with my sinuses.  Also, symptoms from a cold usually present gradually.  Save for a slight ache and pain last night, this morning yielded new symptoms that were definitely not present eight hours prior.  

But barring a sudden and drastic worsening of my symptoms -- I know that #TheShadowyAbyss tested positive and his symptoms were alarming enough to get in touch with his PCP -- I don't plan on pursuing this beyond quarantine, rest, and fluids.

Sorry guys, I'll stop clogging up the thread with personal updates.  
This is pretty relevant to the thread, I'd say.

The symptom almost universal across all symptomatic cases I have heard about is the loss of taste and smell. If you are experiencing that, even mildly, you should definitely get tested.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #901 on: March 29, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 03:13:51 PM by FrancoAgo »

Unfortunately, it is not quite so simple. The # of tests also changes over time, and variation in # of cases depends partly on the # of tests that are conducted on a particular day. Other things equal, if you conduct more tests, you will find more cases. If you conduct fewer tests, you will find fewer cases.

Mar 29: 24,504 tests and 5,217 new cases (21.3% positive)
Mar 28: 35,447 tests and 5,974 new cases (16.9% positive)

the 29th march tests missing that of Emilia Romagna

p.s. the new cases from ER are included
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #902 on: March 29, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Good animated map showing Covid cases or reported deaths by country.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #903 on: March 29, 2020, 03:12:54 PM »

As for a possible commission, I think a 9/11 or Challenger style commission is inevitable at this point.

Italy did have 2 straight days of drops in deaths but they were all significantly higher than the last several days before that when people thought the curve was flattening, so I don't know what to make of that.

Like I said, it's definitely uncomfortable.  I feel overheated and my muscles are aching -- especially my lower back.  The biggest red flag to me is that I'm not experiencing a runny nose or any issues with my sinuses.  Also, symptoms from a cold usually present gradually.  Save for a slight ache and pain last night, this morning yielded new symptoms that were definitely not present eight hours prior.  

But barring a sudden and drastic worsening of my symptoms -- I know that #TheShadowyAbyss tested positive and his symptoms were alarming enough to get in touch with his PCP -- I don't plan on pursuing this beyond quarantine, rest, and fluids.

This is pretty relevant to the thread, I'd say.

The symptom almost universal across all symptomatic cases I have heard about is the loss of taste and smell. If you are experiencing that, even mildly, you should definitely get tested.

There is a lot of support available in this community.  If you don't want to post personal updates in this thread (personally I don't mind, but the thread does get a lot of traffic) then there are a couple of appropriate threads in Forum Community:

Atlas Forum wellbeing check in.

Have you been affected by the coronavirus?

I would encourage anyone who might be affected by the disease in any way to post updates in one of those threads.  We do care.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #904 on: March 29, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »

American and UK intelligence knew what was going on China and reported to both Trump and Boris Johnson. So why were their reports not treated more seriously? Why wasn't a pre-emptive strategy and preparation put in place?

The far right line of thought is essentially 'if its bad news its fake and should be ignored' at this point.

Nothing wrong with letting everyone know what's going on, it's both relevant to the thread and can keep some here from worrying.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #905 on: March 29, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »

90s country star Joe Diffie has passed away from coronavirus at age 61. This may be the most famous young-ish person to pass.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #906 on: March 29, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »

90s country star Joe Diffie has passed away from coronavirus at age 61. This may be the most famous young-ish person to pass.

He's the first person I had ever heard of prior to coronavirus to pass away.  Not that it makes other deaths less significant.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #907 on: March 29, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »

Nothing wrong with letting everyone know what's going on, it's both relevant to the thread and can keep some here from worrying.

I agree. Plus, we care about you and your wellbeing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #908 on: March 29, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »

China caused this crisis and now the media is bowing down to them which is truly disgusting. Trump>>>>>>>>>>China

China should definitively be held responsible for the pandemics. Not in the way of paying reparations or something, but by having to finally adhere to certain sanitary rules, which led to the outbreak.

Also (not just China), don't f-king poach wildlife, like pangolin. It's not just wrong, you are  risking to unleash unknown and potentially deadly germs they may carry.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #909 on: March 29, 2020, 04:27:11 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #910 on: March 29, 2020, 04:29:28 PM »

Is 19,500 rubles an adequate-ish monthly salary in Russia?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #911 on: March 29, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »

John Prine is in critical condition with CoViD. Sad
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #912 on: March 29, 2020, 04:35:39 PM »

China should definitively be held responsible for the pandemics. Not in the way of paying reparations or something, but by having to finally adhere to certain sanitary rules, which led to the outbreak.

Hopefully, they do it voluntarily, but if not, you'll have to push them in some way. Europa will be likely hit more than US and have a longer recovery, so I doubt they want take a stand. And since Biden promised to respect US allies, let's hope Trump wins! On the other hand, Biden will likely listen to Merkel and stop Trump's harassing of Putin's Nord Stream 2, so we can finish off Ukraine, so...

In other news. Today and for first time Spain has more cases a day than Italy... USA will likely to get a "first" place in a week or so...
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #913 on: March 29, 2020, 04:37:33 PM »

This can happen when you get headlines back-to-back of "Russia doing extremely well containing COVID-19" and "Moscow hospitals note large uptick in pneumonia cases."
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #914 on: March 29, 2020, 04:41:22 PM »

Closed Hahnemann Hospital No Longer an Option to House Coronavirus Patients
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said the city doesn't have the time or money to continue negotiating with the shuttered hospital's owner, who wanted about $6 million for a six-month lease

One of the most obvious options for a place to treat and house coronavirus patients in the coming weeks, the vacant former Hahnemann Hospital, is off the table, Philadelphia officials said Thursday.

“In the midst of a public health crisis, with the numbers of positive cases increasing daily, we simply do not have the time to continue in a lengthy negotiation," Mayor Jim Kenney said.

He and Managing Director Brian Abernathy appeared to lose their patience with the demands of the empty building's owner, Joel Freedman, who closed the nearly 500-bed medical center last year.

"He is looking at this as a business transaction rather than providing an imminent and important need for our city and our residents," Abernathy said. "The owner, Mr. Freedman, was difficult to work with at times when he was the owner of the hospital, and he is still difficult to work with as the owner of the shuttered hospital."

More wonders of the American private medical system. Yes, this seems like a great time to have a closed hospital because of financial disagreements!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #915 on: March 29, 2020, 04:43:48 PM »

But barring a sudden and drastic worsening of my symptoms -- I know that #TheShadowyAbyss tested positive and his symptoms were alarming enough to get in touch with his PCP -- I don't plan on pursuing this beyond quarantine, rest, and fluids.  Just took my vitals again; my blood pressure is still lower than usual, but everything else checks out. 

Hope you feel better soon PQG
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #916 on: March 29, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said the city doesn't have the time or money to continue negotiating with the shuttered hospital's owner, who wanted about $6 million for a six-month lease

One of the most obvious options for a place to treat and house coronavirus patients in the coming weeks, the vacant former Hahnemann Hospital, is off the table, Philadelphia officials said Thursday.

“In the midst of a public health crisis, with the numbers of positive cases increasing daily, we simply do not have the time to continue in a lengthy negotiation," Mayor Jim Kenney said.

He and Managing Director Brian Abernathy appeared to lose their patience with the demands of the empty building's owner, Joel Freedman, who closed the nearly 500-bed medical center last year.

"He is looking at this as a business transaction rather than providing an imminent and important need for our city and our residents," Abernathy said. "The owner, Mr. Freedman, was difficult to work with at times when he was the owner of the hospital, and he is still difficult to work with as the owner of the shuttered hospital."

More wonders of the American private medical system. Yes, this seems like a great time to have a closed hospital because of financial disagreements!

The property should be taken from them for nothing. How evil to you have to be not to offer an empty building for use.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #917 on: March 29, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 05:02:46 PM by roxas11 »

China caused this crisis and now the media is bowing down to them which is truly disgusting. Trump>>>>>>>>>>China

Also (not just China), don't f-king poach wildlife, like pangolin. It's not just wrong, you are  risking to unleash unknown and potentially deadly germs they may carry.

There is no question that china should help responsible for letting place like the Huanan Seafood Wholesale market stay open for all these years in the first place.  This is a place were many animals are slaughtered right then and there and sold to the customer. just seeing some of the footage you tell that these places are very unsafe and unclean

Here is list of many animals that were sold at the same Chinese food market that causes all of this

Badgers
Beavers
Crocodiles
Dogs
Donkeys
Foxes
Hedgehog
Ostrich
Otters
Pangolins
Peacocks
Pheasants
Pigs
Porcupines
Rabbit organs
Rats
Snakes
Wolf puppies

This is the so called "food" that many rich American tourist who went to china were eating when the outbreak started. China should have shut places like these down a long time ago and because they did not I think backlash over this will hurt them for many years to come.

Now having said that The Buck Stops with the President when it comes to the US. In 2014 Trump was not Blaming Africa for the Ebola outbreak he was blaming president Obama for it

So by his own logic its not china who is to blame for the many deaths in the US
Its trump himself for not taking the situation seriously at the start

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #918 on: March 29, 2020, 04:56:09 PM »

The property should be taken from them for nothing. How evil to you have to be not to offer an empty building for use.

Could the city use eminent domain to take the hospital and compensate the owner?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #919 on: March 29, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »

Is 19,500 rubles an adequate-ish monthly salary in Russia?

Median salary in Moscow is ~50,000 and it's kind of unprecedented for Russia to take this kind of measures. Though, I don't know how non-Moscovites will feel about it, cause outside Moscow and  Saint Petersburg  the median is ~30,000.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #920 on: March 29, 2020, 04:57:21 PM »

[tweet]

John Prine is in critical condition with CoViD. Sad

I'm going to be extremely ill all week with this one - I'm sure you know, but for everyone else, he lost a lot of one lung due to cancer. Just awful.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #921 on: March 29, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »

Trump is accusing healthcare workers in New York of stealing masks.

Dude is f'ing insane.

Also June 1st is the new Easter:

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #922 on: March 29, 2020, 05:28:47 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #923 on: March 29, 2020, 05:31:27 PM »

Trump is accusing healthcare workers in New York of stealing masks.

Dude is f'ing insane.

Also June 1st is the new Easter:

At least he is being realistic with his June 1st date. Good on him. The mask remarks are just bizarre. I guess all the sharpies he used were also sniffed.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #924 on: March 29, 2020, 05:34:00 PM »

Trump and Yamiche Alcindor just really got into it at this press conference
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to: