COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:30:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 149384 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2020, 12:02:16 AM »

Im just going to be honest hearing this news makes me very upset. Its one of the most reckless and dangerous things I have seen from a governor since all of this started

I never thought I would say this but Tate Reeves Should should be charged with manslaughter for ever new death that happens because of this.

Its one thing thing for him to say that he does not want to shut down his state
it another to actively stop Mayors in your state from protecting their towns and cities from this virus while also forcing everybody else to go back to work under these terrible circumstances  

what he is doing is straight up EVIL he has put Many people lives at risk not only in his state but also the other southern states that surround Mississippi  

this is unforgivable and as far as Im concerned Tate Reeves is a piece of trash and and a murderer

Don't worry, it's fake news from an iffy source. No local proclamations are being overridden.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2020, 12:59:43 AM »

Photos Show NYers Failing Miserably At Social Distancing Just Steps From Mayor De Blasio's Home

n Sunday, Mayor Bill de Blasio resisted calls to shut down parks and playgrounds around New York City despite evidence that New Yorkers were filling them over a beautiful spring weekend. At that time, he added a restriction saying people couldn't play team sports, but left the question of the park clustering open, noting that he would revisit the topic of shutting down playgrounds in the coming week.

At a press conference on Tuesday afternoon, de Blasio reiterated that idea, saying that the city would wait until Saturday before deciding whether to shut down playgrounds (he did not say anything about shutting down parks). "If that is not working out, if people are not abiding by the rules, if they're not listening to the warnings, we may get to the point in just days where we have to close the playgrounds for the duration of this crisis," he said. "It's not something I want to do, but it's something I'm ready to do."

More pictures at the link...:

Somehow I don't think large #s of people walking around as normal is going to stop the virus from spreading... If Americans ignore/disobey the rules of the lockdowns, then the virus will both continue to spread and ALSO be very economically costly. The worst of both worlds.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2020, 01:04:37 AM »

Im just going to be honest hearing this news makes me very upset. Its one of the most reckless and dangerous things I have seen from a governor since all of this started

I never thought I would say this but Tate Reeves Should should be charged with manslaughter for ever new death that happens because of this.

it another to actively stop Mayors in your state from protecting their towns and cities from this virus while also forcing everybody else to go back to work under these terrible circumstances  

what he is doing is straight up EVIL he has put Many people lives at risk not only in his state but also the other southern states that surround Mississippi  

this is unforgivable and as far as Im concerned Tate Reeves is a piece of trash and and a murderer

Don't worry, it's fake news from an iffy source. No local proclamations are being overridden.

I hope you are right because if there was ever a time that I really wanted to be wrong about something its this

If this is fake news as you say than I take everything I said back and apologize for jumping the gun but if something like this ever came close to being true Governor Tate Reeves Should thrown in jail for murder
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2020, 01:10:38 AM »

Do you think there will ever be a national lockdown of the USA? If so, when?

Poll: Majority of voters support national quarantine
A new poll from Morning Consult and Politico found 74 percent of registered voters either somewhat or strongly support a national quarantine to fight the spread of coronavirus.

As President Trump seems eager to have large parts of the United States business sector open by Easter, a new poll shows voters are widely in support of a national lockdown.

In a poll of nearly 2,000 registered voters by Morning Consult/Politico taken March 20-22, 74 percent of voters support a national quarantine, limiting activities except essential trips, such as trips to the grocery store and the pharmacy.

At least 40 percent of registered voters said they strongly support a national quarantine, while 34 percent said they somewhat support the idea. Just 19 percent said they were somewhat or strongly opposed to the national quarantine.

Democrats are more firmly in favor of a national quarantine, with 81 percent saying they support the measure. A majority of Republicans, 72 percent, and independents, 69 percent, are also supportive of a nationwide quarantine. The survey has a margin of error of 2 percentage points.

It seems to have pretty high support already, and things have not even gotten that bad yet. So by the time we hit 10k, 100k, or 1 million casualties, surely by one of those the pressure should be fairly irresistible. Of course, by that time the lockdown will be much less effective than if we would just do it now.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2020, 01:17:43 AM »

Trump wants America reopened by Easter. That could send the US economy into depression

New York (CNN Business)President Donald Trump, fearing an economic catastrophe ahead of the November election, is hoping to swiftly remove the severe health restrictions imposed to fight the coronavirus pandemic. But opening America for business in a few weeks could have the opposite effect: It could lay the groundwork for a repeat of the Great Depression.

Trump said Tuesday he wants the United States "opened up and raring to go by Easter." The goal would be to ease the debilitating financial pain caused by the unprecedented shutdown of large swaths of the nation's economy. Unemployment claims are spiking. The stock market has cratered. And gross domestic product -- the broadest measure of the economy -- will probably suffer an historic collapse. But there are massive risks involved with quickly reversing the social distancing policies. Not only would a premature re-opening of the economy defy the advice of health experts, but economists warn it would backfire.

Instead of a one-time blow, the economy could face repeated shutdowns over a prolonged period.
"If the president decides to go 180 on us and open by Easter, that will create chaos and confusion. That is the prescription for a depression," Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, told CNN Business.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #255 on: March 26, 2020, 01:46:01 AM »

What an Inksing moron. Also nice to see traditional "small local government values" alive and well in the Republican Party. Roll Eyes
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2020, 01:58:20 AM »

Trump wants America reopened by Easter. That could send the US economy into depression

New York (CNN Business)President Donald Trump, fearing an economic catastrophe ahead of the November election, is hoping to swiftly remove the severe health restrictions imposed to fight the coronavirus pandemic. But opening America for business in a few weeks could have the opposite effect: It could lay the groundwork for a repeat of the Great Depression.

Trump said Tuesday he wants the United States "opened up and raring to go by Easter." The goal would be to ease the debilitating financial pain caused by the unprecedented shutdown of large swaths of the nation's economy. Unemployment claims are spiking. The stock market has cratered. And gross domestic product -- the broadest measure of the economy -- will probably suffer an historic collapse. But there are massive risks involved with quickly reversing the social distancing policies. Not only would a premature re-opening of the economy defy the advice of health experts, but economists warn it would backfire.

Instead of a one-time blow, the economy could face repeated shutdowns over a prolonged period.
"If the president decides to go 180 on us and open by Easter, that will create chaos and confusion. That is the prescription for a depression," Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, told CNN Business.

Can we get Easter delayed?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2020, 02:02:54 AM »

What's funny to me is... if you could somehow actually ask Jesus his opinion on this, he would say "OF COURSE, just celebrate my re-birth at a delayed date! Don't let these innocent people die! As long as you praise God with good intentions, it's okay to do it imperfectly at times."

Trump is essentially "celebrating Easter" by going AGAINST what Jesus' wishes probably are in this situation.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2020, 05:40:55 AM »

What's funny to me is... if you could somehow actually ask Jesus his opinion on this, he would say "OF COURSE, just celebrate my re-birth at a delayed date! Don't let these innocent people die! As long as you praise God with good intentions, it's okay to do it imperfectly at times."

Trump is essentially "celebrating Easter" by going AGAINST what Jesus' wishes probably are in this situation.

It’s also worth noting that the date of Easter shifts every year, and is calculated by lunar cycles. It’s a guess as it is. There’s no reason we couldn’t delay it for weeks. Alternatively it would far more constructive for churches to ask their members to take the day for personal reflection on the sacrifice Jesus made, while undertaking the small personal sacrifice of withdrawing from our regular lives to prevent a pandemic.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2020, 06:42:18 AM »

I hope you are right because if there was ever a time that I really wanted to be wrong about something its this

If this is fake news as you say than I take everything I said back and apologize for jumping the gun but if something like this ever came close to being true Governor Tate Reeves Should thrown in jail for murder

Congrats. You are the poster with the least number of posts to make it onto my ignore list. Have a nice life. Im off to work (aka mass murder genocide).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2020, 07:29:43 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2020, 07:34:14 AM by Brittain33 »

Tennessee seems the weirdest state on the map.  700 cases vs 300 in VA.

Virginia has a decent state government.
9 of the 10 states with the highest infection rates have Democratic governors. The only exception is Massachusetts.

Why do the states party affiliation matter?

Ask Dingo Joe.

Maybe he does not understand the difference between causality and correlation.

If there is a causal link it is probably indirect.
I made an error. Phil Scott is a Republican. So 8 of the Top 10 are led by Democrats.

StateCase/M
New York1540
New Jersey484
Louisiana378
Washington337
Massachusetts263
District of Columbia255
Connecticut243
Michigan230
Vermont201
Colorado175
Illinois146

Another consideration is that Democratic governors don’t have the same pressure to follow Trump’s lead to downplay the severity of the crisis in the hopes of keeping the stock market up, and have consciously pressed for more testing and more resources for testing, revealing higher numbers of infections. They may also be willing to push the federal government for resources while Republican governors will be incentivized to not make waves or fight with an administration from the same party. Charlie Baker, notably, evinces an independence from Trump that most Republican governors are frightened to emulate.

Regrettably, I fear that the Democratic “advantage” in positive tests will be eclipsed by a Republican lead on death rate after the coronavirus gets completely out of control in states following the thoughts and prayers approach to public health.

If we think density is an issue, that does not bode well for Florida, which has some of the densest communities in the U.S. and where the governor still thinks enforcing quarantine on people traveling from the north is an effective alternative to a shutdown.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2020, 07:32:47 AM »

Oof. A flashback of what Unbiased Media really said about Corona what it mattered most.

9th Feb. From Chair of New York City Council health committee

and Official Twitter account of @nycHealthy Commissioner Oxiris Barbot

3rd May.

Context: Trump declared a public health emergency, "unprecedented" mandatory quarantine and restrictions on the flights from China on 31st January.

It wasn't just NYC, many Democrats and their Media were like that. TDS syndrome at its worst.

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #262 on: March 26, 2020, 07:47:53 AM »

https://apnews.com/1bae3794481cc9d02fc670480cfcb800
US jobless claims hit 3.3 million, quadruple previous record
Nearly 3.3 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week — more than quadruple the previous record set in 1982 — amid a widespread economic shutdown caused by the coronavirus.

The surge in weekly applications was a stunning reflection of the damage the viral outbreak is doing to the economy. Filings for unemployment aid generally reflect the pace of layoffs.

The pace of layoffs is sure to accelerate as the U.S. economy sinks into a recession. Revenue has collapsed at restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, gyms, and airlines. Auto sales are plummeting, and car makers have close factories. Most such employers face loan payments and other fixed costs, so they’re cutting jobs to save money.

As job losses mount, some economists say the nation’s unemployment rate could approach 13% by May. By comparison, the highest jobless rate during the Great Recession, which ended in 2009, was 10%.

The economic deterioration has been swift. As recently as February, the unemployment rate was at a 50-year low of 3.5%. And the economy was growing steadily if modestly. Yet by the April-June quarter of the year, some economists think the economy will shrink at its steepest annual pace ever — a contraction that could reach 30%.

Many people who have lost jobs in recent days have been unable to file for unemployment aid because state websites and phone systems have been overwhelmed by a crush of applicants and have frozen up. That logjam suggests that Thursday’s report on filings for unemployment benefits actually understates the magnitude of job cuts last week.

Oof. Just a beginning. Trump will need a Populist Boomer Stimulus 2.0 ASAP.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #263 on: March 26, 2020, 07:53:27 AM »

https://apnews.com/1bae3794481cc9d02fc670480cfcb800
US jobless claims hit 3.3 million, quadruple previous record
Nearly 3.3 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week — more than quadruple the previous record set in 1982 — amid a widespread economic shutdown caused by the coronavirus.

The surge in weekly applications was a stunning reflection of the damage the viral outbreak is doing to the economy. Filings for unemployment aid generally reflect the pace of layoffs.

The pace of layoffs is sure to accelerate as the U.S. economy sinks into a recession. Revenue has collapsed at restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, gyms, and airlines. Auto sales are plummeting, and car makers have close factories. Most such employers face loan payments and other fixed costs, so they’re cutting jobs to save money.

As job losses mount, some economists say the nation’s unemployment rate could approach 13% by May. By comparison, the highest jobless rate during the Great Recession, which ended in 2009, was 10%.

The economic deterioration has been swift. As recently as February, the unemployment rate was at a 50-year low of 3.5%. And the economy was growing steadily if modestly. Yet by the April-June quarter of the year, some economists think the economy will shrink at its steepest annual pace ever — a contraction that could reach 30%.

Many people who have lost jobs in recent days have been unable to file for unemployment aid because state websites and phone systems have been overwhelmed by a crush of applicants and have frozen up. That logjam suggests that Thursday’s report on filings for unemployment benefits actually understates the magnitude of job cuts last week.

Oof. Just a beginning. Trump will need a Populist Boomer Stimulus 2.0 ASAP.

What's a Boomer Stimulus? That sounds like something that happens perhaps too much for the imagination in The Villages.

When I think of Populism, I think of William Jennings Bryan, the silver standard, agrarianism, universal health care, revival tents, unions, tariffs, and crap like that.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2020, 07:55:02 AM »

That's a staggering number.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #265 on: March 26, 2020, 08:11:14 AM »

New Antibody test available in Australia tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-mass-home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days

"The test detects the presence of IGM, an antibody that arises very early on in the infection, and IGG, which is increased in the body’s response to the virus. The results of some of the tests on order can be read by anyone, but others would need to be interpreted by healthcare professionals."

This is my limited understanding:

IGG tells you if you have suffered an infection from the Corona-virus.

IGM tells you if you have been exposed briefly before developing antibodies.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #266 on: March 26, 2020, 08:21:56 AM »

roxas11
United States

« Reply #267 on: March 26, 2020, 08:24:37 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2020, 08:29:07 AM by roxas11 »

Congrats. You are the poster with the least number of posts to make it onto my ignore list. Have a nice life. Im off to work (aka mass murder genocide).

With all due respect I do not even know who you are nor Im aware of anything that have done to personally attack or offend you

I was simply apologizing to the previous poster who assured me that the news story that had been posted about Mississippi was fake news

but I suppose if that is what you want to do than ok and have a nice day

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2020, 09:08:14 AM »

New Antibody test available in Australia tomorrow.

Why not the U.S. too?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #269 on: March 26, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »

Ask PQG. It's probably just around the corner.

Although you guys probably have to pay a lot more for it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »

Oof. A flashback of what Unbiased Media really said about Corona what it mattered most.

9th Feb. From Chair of New York City Council health committee

and Official Twitter account of @nycHealthy Commissioner Oxiris Barbot

3rd May.

Context: Trump declared a public health emergency, "unprecedented" mandatory quarantine and restrictions on the flights from China on 31st January.

It wasn't just NYC, many Democrats and their Media were like that. TDS syndrome at its worst.

The Democratic response to every issue (including Coronavirus) is nothing more than anti-Trump virtue signaling.  
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2020, 10:06:55 AM »

Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »

Here’s why Harris County allowed liquor stores to remain open

Harris County’s stay-at-home order to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus left open “essential businesses,” where residents buy their food, including supermarkets, restaurants, convenience stories and gas stations. It also included a more curious exemption: liquor stores.

Denver’s ill-fated attempt to close them this week resulted in a run on alcohol, creating crowds public health experts say can easily spread the virus. The mayor reversed course after three hours.

The local order, said Dr. Sherri Onyiego of Harris County Public Health, left liquor stores open for different health reason — to avoid a spike in residents flooding hospitals with symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.

Onyiego said limiting unnecessary hospital visits is crucial to freeing beds for coronavirus patients who need intensive care. “We know individuals that have a diagnosis of alcoholism, or even individuals who are perpetual users, if that’s taken away from them, it can lead to a life-threatening medical emergency,” she said.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2020, 10:27:18 AM »

The Democratic response to every issue (including Coronavirus) is nothing more than anti-Trump virtue signaling.  

Neither party has earned any votes for any federal office. I'll find it hard to not vote since as I child I couldn't fathom why anyone wouldn't vote, but it's getting easier every year. Why even bother going out of the way for write-ins or the lesser of two bozos.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2020, 10:38:17 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2020, 10:43:03 AM by Crumpets »

Oh come on. There's nothing partisan about how different local officials have responded based on Trump's response. Inslee and Newsome have been strict, Cuomo was strict while de Blasio was lackadaisical. De Santis hasn't responded strongly, JBE hasn't responded strongly enough, and there is the interesting divide between Beshear and Lee that others have noted

All it comes down to is that nobody wants to be the guy who shuts everything down. Smart local officials have done so anyway, while others who are more concerned with their short term approval have not. Thinking De Blasio is spreading COVID to spite Trump, which seems to be the argument here, is just its own form of Trump derangement syndrome.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies