How long does Michael Madigan reign IL House and IL Democratic Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:28:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How long does Michael Madigan reign IL House and IL Democratic Party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How long does Michael Madigan reign IL House and IL Democratic Party?  (Read 9927 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »

What could Madigan to do match the publicity an Obama endorsement would get. I bet far far more people know who Obama is than Madigan and Madigan's primary challenger would put the fact that they were endorsed by Obama in every Ad.
Sure, but Mike Madigan could say that he's endorsed by Mike Madigan. And that matters more.
Who actually likes Mike Madigan though?
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 03:26:59 PM »

What could Madigan to do match the publicity an Obama endorsement would get. I bet far far more people know who Obama is than Madigan and Madigan's primary challenger would put the fact that they were endorsed by Obama in every Ad.
Sure, but Mike Madigan could say that he's endorsed by Mike Madigan. And that matters more.

Nobody, but that's not the point. Madigan's clout/machine infrastructure is far more potent than any national figure wading into a race against him (and it probably would not be helpful either as most voters here have been thoroughly desensitized to the cloud of corruption around Madigan). The whole idea that Obama would do such a thing is just preposterous. Let's not forget that he himself was a creature of Springfield politics, and as such knows well enough not to interfere with the man who runs the show.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »

Lisa Madigan perhaps?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2020, 04:15:41 PM »

How did Bush then use his popularity to take out Tom Murphy though
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »

Depends what the actuaries say.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2020, 05:54:35 PM »

How did Bush then use his popularity to take out Tom Murphy though
Because Murphy narrowly won in 2000, and Bush is a Republican not a Democrat.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 08:20:19 PM »

There are... certain advantages to having him around. From a Crain's story about Illinois's capital spending bill:
Also included in the bill was $50 million in undesignated funds targeted for the city under the designation SOCC, or “State Only City of Chicago” money.

The $50 million originally was supposed to be only $40 million, according to an Oct. 10 letter from acting Illinois Department of Transportation Secretary Omer Osman to then-city Transportation Commissioner Tom Carney that an anonymous source passed on to me. But somehow that total got bumped up by $10 million.

What to do with that $10 million windfall? The letter makes it clear: “This correspondence confirms the understanding between IDOT and the city that this additional ten million dollars of SOCC funds is designated for use in [Madigan's district], located in southwest Chicago.”

“The SOCC is a long-standing practice by the General Assembly to appropriate funding from the state’s Road Fund, specifically for transportation improvements in Chicago,” IDOT spokesman Guy Tridgell told me in an email. “As can be the case with some funding, the legislative intent is not always clear. In this particular instance, the department worked to clarify the intent of the additional SOCC funds with the leadership of the General Assembly and communicated that intent with the city.”

You might not care for the guy personally, but you might like having new streetlights and filled potholes and all the other service the machine can provide. I'd certainly trade in my alderman if it meant we got our streets plowed immediately every time it snowed.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 08:35:20 PM »

I like Madigan.  I didn’t used to, but I’ve come to understand that he holds the crazy progressive elements of the Illinois Democrats at bay.  Whomever he is replaced by will be much, much worse.

Madigan is actually very fiscally centrist.  He went to war with Blago because the latter wanted to spend like a drunken sailor.  He passed the pension reform that was overturned by the Supreme Court.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 10:50:51 PM »

You may not like this statement but if you’re a Democrat you know it’s true: the DNC desperately needs a Mike Madigan.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies