Lynn Swann Didn't vote in 20 of last 36 Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 06:37:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lynn Swann Didn't vote in 20 of last 36 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lynn Swann Didn't vote in 20 of last 36 Elections  (Read 3867 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2006, 11:54:11 PM »
« edited: February 16, 2006, 11:56:01 PM by Scoonie »

http://www.pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg/06047/656348.stm

"Republican gubernatorial hopeful Lynn Swann didn't vote in 20 of the state's 36 elections in the past 18 years, a newspaper reported today, citing voting records from his home county.

The elections Mr. Swann missed included votes for governor, U.S. senator and president, and 13 of his own party's primaries, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

In an October 2004 interview with the Sun-Sentinel newspaper in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Mr. Swann had said, "I have always been someone to believe that when you have certain freedoms, you should exercise them and not take it for granted. If you don't take part in the process and you don't vote, then I am not willing to listen to your complaints."

The Inquirer said Allegheny County voting records showed Mr. Swann voted by absentee ballot in the general election a month later, but missed the GOP primary earlier that year when U.S. Sen. Arlen narrowly turned back a challenge by U.S. Rep. Pat Toomey.

Mr. Swann didn't vote at all in 2003, the newspaper said."

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 11:55:56 PM »

The average Pennsylvania citizen at last has someone whom they could relate to....  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:38:36 AM »

Obviously not something that can, nor should, be defended.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:21:29 AM »

I'm just curious: how do we know this, given that (I thought) voting is by secret ballot?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:27:20 AM »

OMFG... since I have been able to vote in 2002, I have only voted 3 out of a possible 8 times.  You know why?  Because I could personalyl care less about who the Republican candidate for Jefferson County Controller is.  Do you realize how menial most of those elections are?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:31:51 AM »

I believe I have voted in 9 out of 13 elections I could have voted in. There might have been some other elections I missed.

I voted in all non-local general elections.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 01:43:33 AM »

I'm just curious: how do we know this, given that (I thought) voting is by secret ballot?

Whether you voted or not is not secret.  Otherwise you could vote over and over again, North Dakota style.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:48:27 AM »

Whether you voted or not is not secret.  Otherwise you could vote over and over again, North Dakota style.

Oh yes, I suppose that's right.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 01:48:43 AM »

Funny, I acctually thought that that was South Dakota Indian Reservation Style.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 01:49:23 AM »

The sad part for the libs is that this is the worst dirt they can dig up.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 01:52:29 AM »

Funny, I acctually thought that that was South Dakota Indian Reservation Style.  Smiley

Hey, watch it.  Corson County doesn't have that problem.  It's just, uh, all of the other Injun counties.  Tongue

EDIT:  Except for Buffalo, but no one really cares about Buffalo.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 03:44:20 AM »

Funny, I acctually thought that that was South Dakota Indian Reservation Style.  Smiley
LOL, you know there's few places in the US where a smaller percentage of the eligible voters vote?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 03:46:24 AM »

In Germany these records are destroyed as soon as the period for challenges is up, to keep this info as secret as possible.

Good thing too. Otherwise the parties'd know exactly who votes every time and who never votes and which people turn out only at important elections - and would mail those poor sods to death.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 03:52:07 AM »

LOL, you know there's few places in the US where a smaller percentage of the eligible voters vote?

Yeah, well that hurts the racist Republican argument "Indians stole the 2002 Senate race, waaaaaaah"
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 03:53:51 AM »

Yeah, well that hurts the racist Republican argument "Indians stole the 2002 Senate race, waaaaaaah"
Well turnout there has been massively up in 2002 over 2000, and held up in 2004. It's still low in absolute terms, but it's not ... well ... comical, as it used to be. Navajo Rez had higher turnout (in absolute terms) in 2002 than in either 2000 or 2004 IIRC.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 03:56:02 AM »

Well turnout there has been massively up in 2002 over 2000, and held up in 2004. It's still low in absolute terms, but it's not ... well ... comical, as it used to be. Navajo Rez had higher turnout (in absolute terms) in 2002 than in either 2000 or 2004 IIRC.

Turnout was massively up in 2002 over 2000 for the whole state.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 06:04:56 AM »

I bet he voted in the important elections though.  Bush for President and Santorumm for Senator in 2000; Fisher for Governor in 2002; Bush for President and Specter for Senator in 2004.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 06:12:32 AM »

The elections Mr. Swann missed included votes for governor, U.S. senator and president, and 13 of his own party's primaries, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Of course, that may have been a long long time ago...
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 06:32:41 AM »

Of course, that may have been a long long time ago...

Still, it's within 18 years, after he was retired from the NFL. Since 1988, he's missed a Presidential election. If you're running for public office, it seems to me like a bare minimum that you care enough to vote for President, Senator, and Governor. Otherwise, one could conclude, likely incorrectly, but still plausibly, that his governmental aspirations are a spur of the moment type thing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 07:19:28 AM »

IIRC Wes Clark has a similar record...
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 10:14:13 AM »

Clark's was more damaging because he was running in a Democrat primary having admitted that he'd voted twice for Nixon and Reagan.  However, it could have helped win conservative Democrats who gave him a victory in Oklahoma and boosted his campaign in South Carolina and Tennessee.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 10:47:22 AM »

Maybe its just me, but I do not see this as the type of scandal that will derail his campaign.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 10:55:46 AM »

Maybe its just me, but I do not see this as the type of scandal that will derail his campaign.
It's not just you.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2006, 01:42:34 PM »

In Germany these records are destroyed as soon as the period for challenges is up, to keep this info as secret as possible.

Good thing too. Otherwise the parties'd know exactly who votes every time and who never votes and which people turn out only at important elections - and would mail those poor sods to death.

As is only fair. Why bother people who never vote? Wink I get mail for every possible competitive election I can vote in, because I am that rare, highly prized *independent voter* *who ALWAYS votes* *and lives in an apartment*. I'm expecting plenty more mail this year. Grin
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2006, 02:57:16 PM »

Why does living in an apartment increase your value as a potential voter?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies