Illinois Redistricting Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:18:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Illinois Redistricting Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]
Author Topic: Illinois Redistricting Megathread  (Read 31270 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: November 24, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »

Does anyone have a link to the new IL map in DRA or somewhere I can download the shapefiles?

https://davesredistricting.org/join/8072de50-957c-4b3a-86f0-8e71e4f1e451
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #576 on: November 24, 2021, 07:53:01 PM »

Thanks.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #577 on: November 24, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »

Could Bobby Rush face primary trouble in this new IL-01?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #578 on: November 24, 2021, 08:56:21 PM »

Could Bobby Rush face primary trouble in this new IL-01?

Probably not too much. Most of the Democratic Parts of IL-01 are the same; the district was underpopulated though so Dems decided to stretch it down into white R rurals and a white Democrat wouldn't have the votes to win a primary with white voters in this district
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #579 on: December 30, 2021, 02:20:52 PM »

Legislative map is upheld by court:
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #580 on: April 21, 2022, 10:51:18 PM »

My proposal for a fair map if Republicans flip the court in 2022 and hence take up the case and likely overturn the map. This map is based on the old district map but cleans a lot up. I'm disappointed by the lack of competitive seats in suburban Illinois, but geography makes it trickier than one might expect, and one really has to go out of their way. Colour is 2020 Pres.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #581 on: May 10, 2022, 10:25:52 AM »

Chicago finally did redistricting of the wards.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #582 on: May 10, 2022, 01:20:17 PM »

My proposal for a fair map if Republicans flip the court in 2022 and hence take up the case and likely overturn the map. This map is based on the old district map but cleans a lot up. I'm disappointed by the lack of competitive seats in suburban Illinois, but geography makes it trickier than one might expect, and one really has to go out of their way. Colour is 2020 Pres.

What are the chances this happens
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #583 on: May 10, 2022, 01:41:44 PM »

A map simillar to this or a new map generally?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #584 on: May 10, 2022, 07:50:45 PM »

That Dems lose the court
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #585 on: May 10, 2022, 09:22:51 PM »

That Dems lose the court

There are 2 Ds and 1 R not up. 1D and 1R are facing retention. 1R and 1D are retiring.

There's 1 Dem up for retention in Cook County who will safely survive.

The R up is in the 4th district based in Western and Central Illinois. Safe hold.

So far that's 3 seats Dems are basically guarenteed to have and 2 for Rs.

Seat 2 (currently Rep held but retiring) is a Biden + 13 seat based in suburbs North and West of Chicago that are a bit more R downballot historically but realigned relatively early. Not even Kirk won the seat in 2016 despite doing relatively well in this region of the state. If Rs win it'll very much be because of an R wave and ticket splitting. Rs do seem to be taking this race slightly more seriously than Dems rn. I'd say tilt D for now given an R would need to get a pretty diverse coalition of voters they haven't really won over in a while to win, but if they do manage 2022 would be the year to do so.

Seat 3 (currently Dem held but retiring) is based on the South Side of the Chicago metro. This seat is Biden + 8, and really hasn't shifted a ton politically recently with a lot of internal countertrends. Ironically, it seems like this seat despite not being the tipping point has a bit more seriousness on both sides when it comes to the canidates. Once again no R wins this seat on DRA but several come close. However, shifts in the district working in Rs favour have a good chance of accelerating making me rate this as lean R for now.

Overall, Rs will need to sweep both of these seats in order to flip the court and potentially strike down the D gerrymander. Overall, the court prolly leans D for now but I wouldn't be shocked if it flipped and Dems def shouldn't take it for granted and should run a stronger campaign in district 2 focusing on a abortion and a lot of generally supported social ideas without getting too much into the culture war, similalr to how Dems were able to have a massive NC Supreme Court majority back when their elections were non partisan.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #586 on: August 13, 2022, 09:40:18 PM »

So I just happened to be in south Illinois and I took a closer look at the congressional districts cause why not and I noticed Miller’s hometown isn’t actually in the seat she represents. It looks specifically carved out to be in the 15th and not the 12th which took most of her old district.

We’re Illinois Dems trying to carve her out?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #587 on: August 14, 2022, 12:00:08 AM »

So I just happened to be in south Illinois and I took a closer look at the congressional districts cause why not and I noticed Miller’s hometown isn’t actually in the seat she represents. It looks specifically carved out to be in the 15th and not the 12th which took most of her old district.

I think you're getting your districts messed up cause Miller represents the 15th but Oakland is in the 12th.

Honestly, that does seem somewhat intentional since there's really no partisan reasons for that extra nub, but then again Dems had a ton of unnecessary chops of zig-zags in Chicagoland so it may just be incompetence who whoever was drawing the map.

And the nub was also in all maps from the 2nd one too which is notable (the first proposed map seemed to be a joke)
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #588 on: August 14, 2022, 09:27:25 AM »

I think you're getting your districts messed up cause Miller represents the 15th but Oakland is in the 12th.

Honestly, that does seem somewhat intentional since there's really no partisan reasons for that extra nub, but then again Dems had a ton of unnecessary chops of zig-zags in Chicagoland so it may just be incompetence who whoever was drawing the map.

And the nub was also in all maps from the 2nd one too which is notable (the first proposed map seemed to be a joke)

I probably did get the numbers confused but yea, do you have a link to where I can see the first proposed map?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #589 on: August 14, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »

I probably did get the numbers confused but yea, do you have a link to where I can see the first proposed map?

Look up 538 redistricting tracker and click on Illinois
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #590 on: August 14, 2022, 12:45:10 PM »

You all know it is not a legal requirement for CD seats to live in the district right? The only requirement is to live in the state.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #591 on: August 14, 2022, 02:39:36 PM »

You all know it is not a legal requirement for CD seats to live in the district right? The only requirement is to live in the state.

Yea but usually around redistricting it’s not uncommon to get certain reps drawn together trying out oust one of them. I guess the thought process was something like “if she runs against bost she’ll loose and if she runs against Davis he can’t attack her as a carpet bagger”
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #592 on: August 14, 2022, 06:09:38 PM »

Yea but usually around redistricting it’s not uncommon to get certain reps drawn together trying out oust one of them. I guess the thought process was something like “if she runs against bost she’ll loose and if she runs against Davis he can’t attack her as a carpet bagger”

Off topic, but if your screen name was "pack the court with homosexuals," I am good to go with that. Keep hope alive.  Devil
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #593 on: August 14, 2022, 07:22:07 PM »

Off topic, but if your screen name was "pack the court with homosexuals," I am good to go with that. Keep hope alive.  Devil

Purple heart
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #594 on: August 29, 2022, 06:11:28 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2022, 06:19:15 PM by Sol »

Cross posting this here, because it strikes me as something a GOP-run State Supreme Court would draw. (It was drawn fairly on my end, of course.)

IL.

link

IL-01: 54% B, 29% W, 15% L. Southern Cook county and Eastern Will are fairly Black now, so you can do a Black-influence district which is firmly in the suburbs with just a little bit of the South side. Robin Kelly runs here despite the numbers

IL-02: 57% B, 22% W, 11% L. Has almost all of the South Side, plus the loop. Bobby Rush gets this seat.

IL-03: 69% L, 19% W. Southwest Chicago, plus some western suburbs. Sorry for the snakelike shape. Chuy Garcia runs here.

IL-04: 38% L, 32% B, 27% W. A coalition seat. Although Latinos are the largest group, it probably reelects Davis easily.

IL-05: 56% W, 20% L, 13% A, 10% B. The North Side is always a bit more diverse than I remember, even though this district is very white for a major city. Mike Quigley's seat I think.

IL-06: 64% W, 17% A, 13% L. The lakeshore suburbs of Cook plus a bit inland. Safe D ofc. Schakowsky runs here, though she's a bit liberal for this monied seat.

IL-07: 58% W, 23% L. Somehow manages to be less white than IL-06 despite being only in Lake and McHenry, I assume due to Waukegan? Would have been competitive like 15 years ago but Safe D now. Schneider's district.

IL-08: 70% W, 15% L. Has the NW exurbs and Rockford. Sort of the successor to Underwood's pre-2020 district, and is super competitive. Voted Biden very narrowly but quite Trump in 2016. Tossup, maybe lean R. An interesting seat in that Democrats's stronghold here are outside of the Chicago proper seats. Also interesting how Latino these affluent suburbs are. I guess Underwood would run here but it's not her seat.

IL-09: 55% W, 24% L, 15% A. NW Cook plus several Fox River cities. Safe D these days.

IL-10: 66% W, 17% L, 12% A. Inner Western suburbs. Safe D. Casten's seat.

IL-11: 55% W, 22% L, 12% A. Aurora and Naperville. Safe D, and actually more D than the suburbs closer to city (how common is this?). Foster runs her, Underwood could too because she lives here.

IL-12: 70% W, 17% L. SW Cook, most of Will, and exurban Grundy. Was 50-47 Trump in 2020, so pretty much likely R. Takes in the more Lipinski-ish suburbs. He could maybe run here, or maybe also Kinzinger, but I doubt either would win.

IL-13: 81% W. Has Peoria and LaSalle-Peru. Safe R ofc. LaHood's seat.

IL-14: 80% W, 10% B. Has Springfield and the Quad Cities. Safe R, not clear who'd run here.

IL-15: 74% W, 12% B. Has the colleges and Kankakee (which is surprisingly R given its status as a decently large city on the fringes of a world city) and Danville, so it's consequently the least R seat downstate. Still safe R, though could be vulnerable if Mary Miller runs here as she lives here.

(I switched the numbers for IL-16 and 17 after screenshotting, so teal is 16 and green is 17).

IL-16: 76% W, 16% B. The St. Louis metro area and surrounds. Safe R. Open seat, but Bost could run here since it's closer to his current seat and he wouldn't have to run against Miller.

IL-17: 86% W. Little Egypt, reaching up to Decatur for population. Safe R. It's the obvious successor to Miller's seat but she doesn't live here and Bost does.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #595 on: August 29, 2022, 06:31:38 PM »

Cross posting this here, because it strikes me as something a GOP-run State Supreme Court would draw. (It was drawn fairly on my end, of course.)

IL.

link

IL-01: 54% B, 29% W, 15% L. Southern Cook county and Eastern Will are fairly Black now, so you can do a Black-influence district which is firmly in the suburbs with just a little bit of the South side. Robin Kelly runs here despite the numbers

IL-02: 57% B, 22% W, 11% L. Has almost all of the South Side, plus the loop. Bobby Rush gets this seat.

IL-03: 69% L, 19% W. Southwest Chicago, plus some western suburbs. Sorry for the snakelike shape. Chuy Garcia runs here.

IL-04: 38% L, 32% B, 27% W. A coalition seat. Although Latinos are the largest group, it probably reelects Davis easily.

IL-05: 56% W, 20% L, 13% A, 10% B. The North Side is always a bit more diverse than I remember, even though this district is very white for a major city. Mike Quigley's seat I think.

IL-06: 64% W, 17% A, 13% L. The lakeshore suburbs of Cook plus a bit inland. Safe D ofc. Schakowsky runs here, though she's a bit liberal for this monied seat.

IL-07: 58% W, 23% L. Somehow manages to be less white than IL-06 despite being only in Lake and McHenry, I assume due to Waukegan? Would have been competitive like 15 years ago but Safe D now. Schneider's district.

IL-08: 70% W, 15% L. Has the NW exurbs and Rockford. Sort of the successor to Underwood's pre-2020 district, and is super competitive. Voted Biden very narrowly but quite Trump in 2016. Tossup, maybe lean R. An interesting seat in that Democrats's stronghold here are outside of the Chicago proper seats. Also interesting how Latino these affluent suburbs are. I guess Underwood would run here but it's not her seat.

IL-09: 55% W, 24% L, 15% A. NW Cook plus several Fox River cities. Safe D these days.

IL-10: 66% W, 17% L, 12% A. Inner Western suburbs. Safe D. Casten's seat.

IL-11: 55% W, 22% L, 12% A. Aurora and Naperville. Safe D, and actually more D than the suburbs closer to city (how common is this?). Foster runs her, Underwood could too because she lives here.

IL-12: 70% W, 17% L. SW Cook, most of Will, and exurban Grundy. Was 50-47 Trump in 2020, so pretty much likely R. Takes in the more Lipinski-ish suburbs. He could maybe run here, or maybe also Kinzinger, but I doubt either would win.

IL-13: 81% W. Has Peoria and LaSalle-Peru. Safe R ofc. LaHood's seat.

IL-14: 80% W, 10% B. Has Springfield and the Quad Cities. Safe R, not clear who'd run here.

IL-15: 74% W, 12% B. Has the colleges and Kankakee (which is surprisingly R given its status as a decently large city on the fringes of a world city) and Danville, so it's consequently the least R seat downstate. Still safe R, though could be vulnerable if Mary Miller runs here as she lives here.

(I switched the numbers for IL-16 and 17 after screenshotting, so teal is 16 and green is 17).

IL-16: 76% W, 16% B. The St. Louis metro area and surrounds. Safe R. Open seat, but Bost could run here since it's closer to his current seat and he wouldn't have to run against Miller.

IL-17: 86% W. Little Egypt, reaching up to Decatur for population. Safe R. It's the obvious successor to Miller's seat but she doesn't live here and Bost does.

I actually like this map a lot. The only issue is it eliminates a black seat (IL-07) which may make a Dem Supreme Court later redraw the map again. Other than that, this map is really hard to argue against.

Secondly I would personally swap Peoria and Davensport but it's not a hgue deal.

Anyone on here know where the IL Supreme Court races stand right now? I haven't heard a lot recently even though the Court is hugely consequential.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies