Rescheduled Contests Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:55:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Rescheduled Contests Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rescheduled Contests Megathread  (Read 22041 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 16, 2020, 03:11:07 PM »

Because this is essentially a last minute decision, it is unclear if it will actually go through.

So, a lawsuit will be filed? Great. Just great. That means my wife and I have no idea whether or not we need to show up to vote tomorrow or not.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »

While I was looking forward to voting today, and wish I had taken the opportunity Charlie Vogt when I was near my County Board of Elections last week, I'm perfectly fine with this President. This President is, well, without precedent. Unless someone can correct me with evidence that we didn't delay elections during the 1918 influenza plague.

Remember, we're talking about delaying primaries 4 elections to be held in November. While it is less than optimal to have a delay in selection of candidates for the general election, considering the, again, unprecedented magnitude of this outbreak, it seems like a wise choice.

That said, while I have been generally favorable of Mike dewine handling this crisis, is attempting to cancel the election at literally the 11th and 3/4 hour was just abysmal. I realized it the situation with his pandemic is changing literally by the hour and he may not have received firm advice to cancel from his health professionals until shortly before the decision, but even then it was quite the klusterfuk.

Even more concerning is the very strong implication that Dwayne was ready to say screw the judges refusal to Grant a temporary restraining order delaying the election, he was going to unilaterally do so himself with or without judicial branch approval. That is extremely troubling, and is not mitigated by the severity of this crisis
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 12:45:58 AM »

While I was looking forward to voting today, and wish I had taken the opportunity Charlie Vogt when I was near my County Board of Elections last week, I'm perfectly fine with this President. This President is, well, without precedent. Unless someone can correct me with evidence that we didn't delay elections during the 1918 influenza plague.

Remember, we're talking about delaying primaries 4 elections to be held in November. While it is less than optimal to have a delay in selection of candidates for the general election, considering the, again, unprecedented magnitude of this outbreak, it seems like a wise choice.

That said, while I have been generally favorable of Mike dewine handling this crisis, is attempting to cancel the election at literally the 11th and 3/4 hour was just abysmal. I realized it the situation with his pandemic is changing literally by the hour and he may not have received firm advice to cancel from his health professionals until shortly before the decision, but even then it was quite the klusterfuk.

Even more concerning is the very strong implication that Dwayne was ready to say screw the judges refusal to Grant a temporary restraining order delaying the election, he was going to unilaterally do so himself with or without judicial branch approval. That is extremely troubling, and is not mitigated by the severity of this crisis

It happened in New York on 9/11. While voting was underway. Statewide.

And denial of a TRO is not the same as a court order to hold an election. The Ohio parties and Supremes sided with DeWine, too.

That's not pertinent to what I said. Before The Supremes ruled, DeWine more than an implied he was going to cancel the elections notwithstanding judicial or executive authority to do so
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »

And denial of a TRO is not the same as a court order to hold an election. The Ohio parties and Supremes sided with DeWine, too.

That's not pertinent to what I said. Before The Supremes ruled, DeWine more than an implied he was going to cancel the elections notwithstanding judicial or executive authority to do so

The Health Commissioner has the authority to do just that during a health emergency. The judge that refused to grant the TRO didn't enjoin her from doing so. Therefore, the Columbus judge's ruling wasn't relevant to whether DeWine could unliaterally postpone. Don't believe me? Read this tweet from the director of election law at The Ohio State University's Law School:

And again, there's precedent - Pataki unilaterally postponed the New York primary elections statewide on 9/11 by executive order, regardless of the fact that no statute gave him the authority to postpone a primary election. The legislature came in session and set a new date.

Very interesting. Thanks for the information! So I guess that begs the question that if even the wine thought he had this Authority, why bother go to The Courts at all? Surely you wouldn't want just the extra belt and suspenders affirmation of the judicial branch when literally hours we're taking away on the scheduled opening of the poles? Ditto for appealing it to the Supreme Court.

Nevertheless, it does help convince me that dewine may have had such a thority after all. Still, the timing in which he handled it seem to be extraordinarily clumsy. Based on this tweet, he should have just postponed the election under his apparent Authority, and preferably someone earlier rather than wasting time litigating the matter. Only time will tell whether he was smart and doing this after Illinois, Arizona, and Florida all went to the polls yesterday.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 06:31:10 PM »

The Health Commissioner has the authority to do just that during a health emergency. The judge that refused to grant the TRO didn't enjoin her from doing so. Therefore, the Columbus judge's ruling wasn't relevant to whether DeWine could unliaterally postpone. Don't believe me? Read this tweet from the director of election law at The Ohio State University's Law School:

And again, there's precedent - Pataki unilaterally postponed the New York primary elections statewide on 9/11 by executive order, regardless of the fact that no statute gave him the authority to postpone a primary election. The legislature came in session and set a new date.

Please don't defend the authority of unelected bureacrats to cancel elections unilaterally.  What a terrible thing unleashed upon our country.

Well, that's not what happened here so nobody's defending that.

Reschedule, whatever.  It makes no difference to me.  Unelected officials should not have the authority to do either.  It disgusts me.

Well then, I'm sorry you believe that making it easier & safer for voters to exercise their constitutional right to vote is disgusting.

It was made neither safer, nor easier.

Fwiw, speaking as one of those individuals whom yesterday had their much anticipated right to vote, and who passionately opposes governmental attempt to weaken voters ability to get to the polls, I'm glad this decision was made, even if I'm someone put off at the somewhat clumsy last-minute nature in which it was implemented.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies