Rescheduled Contests Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:57:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Rescheduled Contests Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rescheduled Contests Megathread  (Read 22070 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: March 14, 2020, 09:52:09 PM »

Getting nervous that Ohio, Arizona, Illinois and Florida will be postponed.

Would like them to take place as scheduled - would end the primary once and for all

Public health is more important than politics. If we're fully capable of carrying out our democracy (even if via the rescheduling of contests) while mitigating risk to the community, then it's our societal responsibility to put our friends & neighbors ahead of electoral politics. This crisis demands that we work together to ensure the well-being of all of us.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »

Did the Ohio Supreme Court validate what DeWine did? Or did they basically say, "well we aren't saying what you did is right, but at this point you just have to postpone."

They explicitly denied the legal challenge to the state &, as such, implicitly allowed the delay to proceed (which I suppose means they implicitly validated what DeWine & the Health Commissioner did, yes), but they did so without issuing an opinion so we can't really speak as to their actual thoughts behind doing so.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:19:22 PM »

While I was looking forward to voting today, and wish I had taken the opportunity Charlie Vogt when I was near my County Board of Elections last week, I'm perfectly fine with this President. This President is, well, without precedent. Unless someone can correct me with evidence that we didn't delay elections during the 1918 influenza plague.

Remember, we're talking about delaying primaries 4 elections to be held in November. While it is less than optimal to have a delay in selection of candidates for the general election, considering the, again, unprecedented magnitude of this outbreak, it seems like a wise choice.

That said, while I have been generally favorable of Mike dewine handling this crisis, is attempting to cancel the election at literally the 11th and 3/4 hour was just abysmal. I realized it the situation with his pandemic is changing literally by the hour and he may not have received firm advice to cancel from his health professionals until shortly before the decision, but even then it was quite the klusterfuk.

Even more concerning is the very strong implication that Dwayne was ready to say screw the judges refusal to Grant a temporary restraining order delaying the election, he was going to unilaterally do so himself with or without judicial branch approval. That is extremely troubling, and is not mitigated by the severity of this crisis

It happened in New York on 9/11. While voting was underway. Statewide.

And denial of a TRO is not the same as a court order to hold an election. The Ohio parties and Supremes sided with DeWine, too.

Court ordered him not to reschedule and he ignored it. It's illegal period and he should be removed from office and locked up! it's truly shocking to see you defend it!!

No, the lower Columbus court did NOT tell DeWine not to reschedule. They refused to issue a court order requiring a reschedule. Huge difference.

The Ohio Supremes refused to issue an order forcing the elections to be held today.

Yeah, what basically happened was he thought the Executive Branch couldn't unilaterally delay, so he requested a judge to do so; when they declined, he figured out a way to do so unilaterally from within the Executive Branch (via the Health Commissioner), & him doing so was upheld - or, at the very least, not held invalid - by the Supreme Court.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »

While I was looking forward to voting today, and wish I had taken the opportunity Charlie Vogt when I was near my County Board of Elections last week, I'm perfectly fine with this President. This President is, well, without precedent. Unless someone can correct me with evidence that we didn't delay elections during the 1918 influenza plague.

Remember, we're talking about delaying primaries 4 elections to be held in November. While it is less than optimal to have a delay in selection of candidates for the general election, considering the, again, unprecedented magnitude of this outbreak, it seems like a wise choice.

That said, while I have been generally favorable of Mike dewine handling this crisis, is attempting to cancel the election at literally the 11th and 3/4 hour was just abysmal. I realized it the situation with his pandemic is changing literally by the hour and he may not have received firm advice to cancel from his health professionals until shortly before the decision, but even then it was quite the klusterfuk.

Even more concerning is the very strong implication that Dwayne was ready to say screw the judges refusal to Grant a temporary restraining order delaying the election, he was going to unilaterally do so himself with or without judicial branch approval. That is extremely troubling, and is not mitigated by the severity of this crisis

And denial of a TRO is not the same as a court order to hold an election. The Ohio parties and Supremes sided with DeWine, too.

That's not pertinent to what I said. Before The Supremes ruled, DeWine more than an implied he was going to cancel the elections notwithstanding judicial or executive authority to do so

The Health Commissioner has the authority to do just that during a health emergency. The judge that refused to grant the TRO didn't enjoin her from doing so. Therefore, the Columbus judge's ruling wasn't relevant to whether DeWine could unliaterally postpone. Don't believe me? Read this tweet from the director of election law at The Ohio State University's Law School:

And again, there's precedent - Pataki unilaterally postponed the New York primary elections statewide on 9/11 by executive order, regardless of the fact that no statute gave him the authority to postpone a primary election. The legislature came in session and set a new date.

Please don't defend the authority of unelected bureacrats to cancel elections unilaterally.  What a terrible thing unleashed upon our country.

Well, that's not what happened here so nobody's defending that.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »

That's not pertinent to what I said. Before The Supremes ruled, DeWine more than an implied he was going to cancel the elections notwithstanding judicial or executive authority to do so

The Health Commissioner has the authority to do just that during a health emergency. The judge that refused to grant the TRO didn't enjoin her from doing so. Therefore, the Columbus judge's ruling wasn't relevant to whether DeWine could unliaterally postpone. Don't believe me? Read this tweet from the director of election law at The Ohio State University's Law School:

And again, there's precedent - Pataki unilaterally postponed the New York primary elections statewide on 9/11 by executive order, regardless of the fact that no statute gave him the authority to postpone a primary election. The legislature came in session and set a new date.

Please don't defend the authority of unelected bureacrats to cancel elections unilaterally.  What a terrible thing unleashed upon our country.

Reschedule, whatever.  It makes no difference to me.  Unelected officials should not have the authority to do either.  It disgusts me.

Well then, I'm sorry you believe that making it easier & safer for voters to exercise their constitutional right to vote is disgusting.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 03:48:05 PM »

Reschedule, whatever.  It makes no difference to me.  Unelected officials should not have the authority to do either.  It disgusts me.

Well then, I'm sorry you believe that making it easier & safer for voters to exercise their constitutional right to vote is disgusting.

It was made neither safer, nor easier.

Yeah, because squeezing people into polling places & potentially killing people in a pandemic is somehow less safe than not doing so? Give me a break.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 04:34:16 PM »

The DNC should put a rule that says that if states postpone their primaries to a date so close to the convention (within ten weeks or so) that it guarantees disorderliness, then those states should forfeit their delegates and the number needed for a majority should accordingly drop.

As if not perpetuating a nationwide public health emergency is less important than guaranteeing an orderly convention?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 06:06:50 PM »

The DNC should put a rule that says that if states postpone their primaries to a date so close to the convention (within ten weeks or so) that it guarantees disorderliness, then those states should forfeit their delegates and the number needed for a majority should accordingly drop.

As if not perpetuating a nationwide public health emergency is less important than guaranteeing an orderly convention?

That's a false dichotomy.

The states pushing their primaries back (which is acceptable if given at least a two-weeks notice) to just a few weeks to a convention is irresponsible and should be penalized. But the penalty shouldn't come at the expense of the states that already went through their elections under poor conditions -- which is why I reject the notion that it's somehow "perpetuating" it.

Those states did perpetuate it. Yes, turnout was lower, but that's on them because they still chose to hold elections when it was already apparent that doing so would further the likelihood that people could get this virus. At least the states that are postponing &/or replacing in-person aspects with vote-by-mail aren't. States making smart decisions shouldn't be penalized because dumb states chose to make dumb decisions.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 03:26:00 AM »

Like I said at the top of the last page, there is already a rule against states holding primaries later than June 9th, and the DNC says they're going to enforce it.

Correction: the DNC mentioned its existence & said it might be willing to enforce it. Something tells me there's gonna be a lot of public pressure for them to not do so, though.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 01:07:27 PM »

Georgia is considering delaying again, from May 19 to June 23.

The DNC should really think about skipping their retarded „penalties“ then.

And accept the new reality that things are pushed back and that they might even delay or cancel their convention if the virus still rages in July ...

The penalties are already optional, & the DNC hasn't even said they'll be implementing them (just that they're still optional).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 02:06:15 PM »

Was expected but good to know!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 08:26:36 PM »

Not really a "delay" as the primary is still set for May 19, but Idaho's primary is now mail only.

https://twitter.com/GovernorLittle/status/1244763045244489728?s=20

It amazes me how all of these "liberal" ideas that would never pass in a million years in a state like Idaho are instantly pushed without debate during an emergency.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 02:23:03 PM »

Another good move: less exposure during peak time.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »

Alternatively, Bernie could just drop out so people don't have to risk their lives.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 04:27:14 PM »

Good that the stupid witness signature requirement has been eliminated, that people are now allowed to turn in their ballot by the 13th, & that the absentee ballot application deadline has been extended by another 24 hours.

There's really not much of a need to vote in person, but I'm sure some Berners will still manage to spread conspiracies anyway for no other reason than they're demoralized by losing in 2020.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 08:01:37 PM »

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/04/03/tony-evers-calls-lawmakers-into-session-stop-person-voting/2940156001/

"If you are bored at home and sick of watching Netlfix, volunteer to go and help at the polls," Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said Wednesday.

This piece of sh*t is actively trying to get people killed just to spite Evers.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »

The WI legislature convened today for the special session, but then immediately closed the session without acting on an election delay:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/04/wisconsin-republicans-reject-tuesday-primary-delay-164911

Republicans on Saturday gaveled into a special session called by Evers then immediately closed the session without taking action. Republicans indicated they had adjourned until Monday.

It is now up to the governor to try to find other emergency measures to delay the election. Evers suggested on Friday that he would attempt to do so.

“If they take no action, we’ll be looking at whatever action we can take," Evers said. “We will continue to find ways to make sure Wisconsinites are safe, and that’s the bottom line.”

But Evers is quickly running out of options. Mayors across the state have pleaded for a delay, amid a severe shortage of poll workers sicked by coronavirus or fearful of contamination. The shortages has meant the closure of polling sites, including in minority areas of Milwaukee.

In fact, not only are they not going to delay the election, but they’re also appealing to SCOTUS to stop the extension of absentee voting:

https://twitter.com/shermancourt/status/1246559678395490304

Republicans are so "pro-life" that they're endangering voters by having them all together to vote in-person in the middle of a pandemic.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »

Now, more than ever, it's time for a Mike DeWine maneuver.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 12:59:38 PM »

Finally!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »

Does Evers have the right to do this or not?

We'll find out!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 05:23:30 PM »

https://twitter.com/SJohnsonWPR/status/1247282523731886081?s=20

Republican State Legislature and now the Conservative Supreme Court will have blood on their hands.

F**king monsters.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »

It gets even worse:

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1247301052623355911?s=20

This will result in thousands of votes not being counted. This is a illegitimate election.

This might as well be election interference.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 12:48:56 AM »

How stupid are 5 of the people on the US Supreme Court ?

FTFY.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »

There was no "legally correct decision," just a stark difference in jurisprudential views. The dissent focused on the equity of the outcome (realism) while the majority focused on a technical aspect of the proceeding (formalism), which is fine in a vacuum, sure, but not given the context that this ruling allows people to be disenfranchised at the whim of a state government, & that people will die because of this.

And if you seriously think that the Court's majority is above finding a means to justify the ends, then I've got a case of hydroxychloroquine to sell you.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »

So some Democrats are attacking the Judicial Branch and its independence because they followed the Law that some Democrats didn't like? Very dangerous almost authoritarian path.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1247539900989108229

A. No Democrat has attacked the independence of the judicial branch.

B. The judicial branch didn't "follow the law."
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies