Rescheduled Contests Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:12:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Rescheduled Contests Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Rescheduled Contests Megathread  (Read 22053 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2020, 11:17:19 PM »

The DNC should put a rule that says that if states postpone their primaries to a date so close to the convention (within ten weeks or so) that it guarantees disorderliness, then those states should forfeit their delegates and the number needed for a majority should accordingly drop.

Like I said at the top of the last page, there is already a rule against states holding primaries later than June 9th, and the DNC says they're going to enforce it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2020, 03:26:00 AM »

The DNC should put a rule that says that if states postpone their primaries to a date so close to the convention (within ten weeks or so) that it guarantees disorderliness, then those states should forfeit their delegates and the number needed for a majority should accordingly drop.

Like I said at the top of the last page, there is already a rule against states holding primaries later than June 9th, and the DNC says they're going to enforce it.

Correction: the DNC mentioned its existence & said it might be willing to enforce it. Something tells me there's gonna be a lot of public pressure for them to not do so, though.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2020, 10:46:52 AM »

Indiana joins the fun.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2020, 10:51:31 AM »

States should work to ensure 100% voting by mail. It's bold to assume covid-19 pandemic will be over by June. I would love to be wrong here, but we might just consider the possibility the pandemic will last for 12+ months.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2020, 10:53:49 AM »

Does anyone have a list of all the moves? I'm not sure what the primary calendar looks like right now.

Really hoping they shut in-person voting down and transition to vote-by-mail in the summer. Going to the polls will get people killed. It looks my dad my have COVID-19 now; and he's ~70. We need to be protecting people like him, repercussions on the outcome of this primary be damned.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »

Does anyone have a list of all the moves? I'm not sure what the primary calendar looks like right now.

Really hoping they shut in-person voting down and transition to vote-by-mail in the summer. Going to the polls will get people killed. It looks my dad my have COVID-19 now; and he's ~70. We need to be protecting people like him, repercussions on the outcome of this primary be damned.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=352211.0

The first post of thread is continually updated with both delegate counts and schedule updates
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2020, 05:36:27 PM »

It's not a question of it can't be done as it won't be done -- as the contests in the west coast primarily have been done successfully with absentee or mail-in ballots.

The states postponing elections aren't extending the time period of absentee voting in the meanwhile -- they're simply holding back the date to June or something and holding an ordinary, presumably just as contagious, in-person vote then.

The DNC has little control over how states manage the mechanics of the primary election itself, but this comment
In some states, it is literally impossible without amending the state constitution.
strikes me as dubious.

New York's absentee voter criteria is written into its constitution.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2020, 05:56:56 PM »

Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2020, 09:33:19 PM »

Pennsylvania looks set to postpone their primary to June 2 as well:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2020, 04:52:21 AM »

The next states to vote are Hawaii, Alaska and Wyoming in early April.

All 3 are not moving, but WY has cancelled the in-person voting and switched to complete mail-in or mail voting at dropoff sites.

HI and AK are closed primaries, conducted by the state parties. They have sent mail ballots to ALL registered Democratic voters in both states to avoid in-person voting.
Nova Green Locked Out
Rookie
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2020, 11:08:18 PM »

More than happy to see the DEM PRIM postponed in order to keep Biden honest on fundamental issues that were a key part of the Sanders platform starting in '16 including:

1.)      $15/hr Federal Minimum Wage
2.)       Free Community College and Universities for all (Including variants of student loan debt
           foregivess)

3.)     Single Payer and Universal Health Care for All.

4.)    Legalize MJ Federally and provide comprehensive Universal Criminal Justice Reform

Meanwhile Wall Street regulation and taxes on the rich might have to wait, but I will #1-#4
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »

PA's moving.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2020, 01:52:24 PM »

The hits keep on coming.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »

The one issue with these postponements: is there any guarantee it'll be safer to hold the elections in June than in April?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2020, 02:02:43 PM »

The one issue with these postponements: is there any guarantee it'll be safer to hold the elections in June than in April?

No, but there will be enough time to organize an all-mail election.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »

Given all the Postponements there is NO WAY now Sanders drops out before June 3rd. Biden cannot clinch the Nomination before then.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-will-mail-absentee-ballot-forms-all-voters-for-may-primary/s1ZcJ57g8qqIwyG6LNWfIM/
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2020, 07:13:02 PM »

Not sure if already posted but Delaware also moved its POTUS Primary to June 2nd
https://www.wmdt.com/2020/03/del-primary-election-moved-to-june-2nd/
That means every contest except for New York State that would have been held on April 28 has been moved to June 2nd.

MEGA SUPER TUESDAY on June 2nd folks (12 States)
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Indiana
Maryland
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »

That just leaves NY before April will have been rightly abandoned. The only things left are the all mail elections out wast and for some reason, WI.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2020, 09:28:09 AM »

Alaska has cancelled the in-person portion of its April 4 party-run primary, and has switched to an all-mail system.  As the original window for that mail-in voting was to have closed yesterday, they've extended it considerably; ballots must now be received by the AK Democratic Party by April 10.  Accordingly, results will not be announced until April 11.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2020, 06:19:57 PM »

Politico says that Ohio will not vote on June 2nd after all.  The legislature has instead moved to do an all-mail voting primary that runs through April 28th instead:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/ohio-vote-by-mail-primary-election-149012

Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose issued a directive last week, following the polls closure, that said the primary was postponed until June 2. But the legislature's coronavirus response package nullifies LaRose’s order, after lawmakers argued LaRose did not have that authority.

The new law instructs LaRose’s office to send a postcard to every registered voter in the state to notify them of “the methods by which the elector may obtain an application for absent voter's ballots,” along with relevant deadlines. But the statute does not actually mail every voter an absentee ballot request.

“Please know that if I could send an absentee request to every voter in this primary I would,” LaRose said in a tweet. “Unfortunately [state regulations] prohibits me from doing so and [this bill] did not address that.”

Ballots must be received by 7:30 p.m. on April 28, or postmarked on or before April 27 and received by May 8 to count — a tight turnaround for a state whose election was marred by late confusion. An extremely limited group of voters will be able to vote in-person on April 28, including disabled voters and those without a home address, but for most people, that option won't be available.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2020, 12:54:25 AM »

The new Ohio law flagrantly violates the plain text of the state constitution and federal law (which both forbid registration deadlines longer than 30 days), so who knows what's actually going to happen.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2020, 08:19:50 AM »

Does anyone have a comparison of delegates at stake on June 2nd, compared to delegates that were at stake on Super Tuesday? Obviously Super Tuesday had more because of California, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina and Massachusetts - but I’d have to think the comparison is somewhat close...
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2020, 08:28:58 AM »

Does anyone have a comparison of delegates at stake on June 2nd, compared to delegates that were at stake on Super Tuesday? Obviously Super Tuesday had more because of California, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina and Massachusetts - but I’d have to think the comparison is somewhat close...

There were 1169 delegates up for grabs on Super Tuesday.

Depending on whether Ohio actually goes on June 2 and whether the states that moved to June 2 get timing/cluster bonuses accordingly, June 2 will have somewhere between 498 and 701 delegates.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »

Hawaii has cancelled the in-person portion of its party-run primary and has sent out another wave of ballots (presumably to people who recently registered or updated their address with the state).

It is unclear exactly what the deadline for getting ballots to the Hawaii Democratic Party is; I am guessing that they must be postmarked by April 4.  As a result, especially given the ranked-choice nature of the balloting, I would not expect especially timely results out of Hawaii next week.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies