Rescheduled Contests Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:54:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Rescheduled Contests Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: Rescheduled Contests Megathread  (Read 22069 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2020, 02:46:59 AM »
« edited: March 17, 2020, 02:54:55 AM by cinyc »

Eh. Not so much. There's precedent for it - NY Governor Pataki postponed all primaries that were supposed to be held on 9/11. NYC ran to a judge to get theirs postponed for obvious reasons. Pataki canceled them in the rest of the state by executive order, even though he technically probably didn't have the power to do so. The state legislature came in and rescheduled the election.

And no, DeWine technically isn't violating a court order by postponing the election, either. While the Ohio trial court didn't issue any formal order yet, from what I've read in the papers, all the judge said was that he wouldn't issue a temporary restraining order to stop the elections from happening. He didn't order the Health Commissioner not to cancel them. That's what ultimately happened.

As I write this, there is a case pending before The Supreme Court of Ohio by a Toledo-area Republican judicial candidate who wants to hold elections tomorrow. That decision can come down any minute. My prediction is that the court will side with the Governor/Health Commissioner. Why? Because, as (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective) we will all soon learn that a Health Commissioner or Governor has a ton of power during a health emergency.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2020, 02:56:50 AM »

Voting in Ohio starts in 9 hours and nobody knows if there will be an election. DeWine should've done this days ago, but instead he's thrown Ohio into a constitutional crisis by openly defying a court order... unfortunately, he'll be heralded as a hero by Republicans and Democrats despite his outrageous incompetence.

Yes, he should have done this earlier. No, he's not openly defying a court order. And there's no constutional crisis - The Supreme Court of Ohio is currently determining whether DeWine's shutdown order passes muster.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2020, 02:57:37 AM »

Hope the primaries are over after Biden has swept FL, AZ and IL. I'm more worried about November and that we fail to prepare in the months to come. If the pandemic is not under control in 6 weeks, we should consider to do November election by mail. But I have little faith in our capabilities to organize what's common pratice elsewhere.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2020, 03:07:33 AM »

DeWine wins at The Supreme Court of Ohio. The Ohio elections will be postponed.

https://supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/0/2020/2020-ohio-997.pdf
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2020, 05:29:51 AM »

DeWine wins at The Supreme Court of Ohio. The Ohio elections will be postponed.

https://supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/0/2020/2020-ohio-997.pdf

Horrible precedent, and horrible for him to decide to do this hours before the polls are supposed to open. If the election was next week, I could see it, but the election should've proceeded today.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2020, 05:56:28 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2020, 06:06:36 AM by ibagli »

I don't like how this happened, it should have been announced days ago, but I do wonder what exactly was happening behind the scenes. Last night was when workers would have reported to set up the polling places, so maybe the counties were finding out that they were going to be totally unable to staff most of their precincts, in which case late was better than never.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2020, 06:26:31 AM »

I am hearing from one precinct in Illinois that there is no voting there due to a lack of election judges.  Unsure how widespread this is.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2020, 09:01:31 AM »

The Democratic Party and the DNC should immediately suspend all elections, and cancel any election results from 3/17/20 until June 2020.

Push all of the DEM PRIMs back to June 2020, cancel all EVs, and make it a final June 2020 "Super JUNE PRIM" once all of this has passed a bit, plus give us a proper chance to have a Democratic Primary in what is essentially a State of Emergency....

The DNC has no control over primary dates. States choose to have their voting on a certain day. Some states desire to align their presidential primary with the statewide primary, making it that much more harder to push back. I would not be surprised if most states individually though start moving stuff back.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »

While I was looking forward to voting today, and wish I had taken the opportunity Charlie Vogt when I was near my County Board of Elections last week, I'm perfectly fine with this President. This President is, well, without precedent. Unless someone can correct me with evidence that we didn't delay elections during the 1918 influenza plague.

Remember, we're talking about delaying primaries 4 elections to be held in November. While it is less than optimal to have a delay in selection of candidates for the general election, considering the, again, unprecedented magnitude of this outbreak, it seems like a wise choice.

That said, while I have been generally favorable of Mike dewine handling this crisis, is attempting to cancel the election at literally the 11th and 3/4 hour was just abysmal. I realized it the situation with his pandemic is changing literally by the hour and he may not have received firm advice to cancel from his health professionals until shortly before the decision, but even then it was quite the klusterfuk.

Even more concerning is the very strong implication that Dwayne was ready to say screw the judges refusal to Grant a temporary restraining order delaying the election, he was going to unilaterally do so himself with or without judicial branch approval. That is extremely troubling, and is not mitigated by the severity of this crisis
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2020, 10:10:34 AM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2020, 10:15:40 AM »

Good old moderate Larry Hogan. There's not enough time to move the primary to vote by mail? I feel like this is just a ploy to drag the Democratic presidential primary process out longer.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2020, 10:55:35 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2020, 11:15:21 AM by cinyc »

While I was looking forward to voting today, and wish I had taken the opportunity Charlie Vogt when I was near my County Board of Elections last week, I'm perfectly fine with this President. This President is, well, without precedent. Unless someone can correct me with evidence that we didn't delay elections during the 1918 influenza plague.

Remember, we're talking about delaying primaries 4 elections to be held in November. While it is less than optimal to have a delay in selection of candidates for the general election, considering the, again, unprecedented magnitude of this outbreak, it seems like a wise choice.

That said, while I have been generally favorable of Mike dewine handling this crisis, is attempting to cancel the election at literally the 11th and 3/4 hour was just abysmal. I realized it the situation with his pandemic is changing literally by the hour and he may not have received firm advice to cancel from his health professionals until shortly before the decision, but even then it was quite the klusterfuk.

Even more concerning is the very strong implication that Dwayne was ready to say screw the judges refusal to Grant a temporary restraining order delaying the election, he was going to unilaterally do so himself with or without judicial branch approval. That is extremely troubling, and is not mitigated by the severity of this crisis

It happened in New York on 9/11. While voting was underway. Statewide.

And denial of a TRO is not the same as a court order to hold an election. The Ohio parties and Supremes sided with DeWine, too.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »

For a Governor to flat out to defy a court order is extremely wrong. I think this is a warm up to cancel elections in November.

As opposed to a warm up for people dying in hospital waiting rooms.

We aren't stupid enough to buy into this caring act. Republicans under Trump are in a constant state of plotting. Defying a court order is a bold move that sets dangerous precedent.

"this caring act"?

The coronavirus is not some vast right-wing conspiracy.  I hope you aren't acting IRL on the assumption that it is.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2020, 02:55:12 PM »

For a Governor to flat out to defy a court order is extremely wrong. I think this is a warm up to cancel elections in November.

We aren't stupid enough to buy into this caring act. Republicans under Trump are in a constant state of plotting. Defying a court order is a bold move that sets dangerous precedent.

"this caring act"?

The coronavirus is not some vast right-wing conspiracy.  I hope you aren't acting IRL on the assumption that it is.

I'm not saying that the virus is an act, I'm saying that Republicans and conservatives being "concerned" is an act. If a Democrat had posted something like you did about people dying in waiting rooms you would have called them a snowflake being overly dramatic.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2020, 03:07:29 PM »

And denial of a TRO is not the same as a court order to hold an election. The Ohio parties and Supremes sided with DeWine, too.

Court ordered him not to reschedule and he ignored it. It's illegal period and he should be removed from office and locked up! it's truly shocking to see you defend it!!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2020, 03:15:26 PM »

Did the Ohio Supreme Court validate what DeWine did? Or did they basically say, "well we aren't saying what you did is right, but at this point you just have to postpone."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »

"this caring act"?

I'm not saying that the virus is an act, I'm saying that Republicans and conservatives being "concerned" is an act. If a Democrat had posted something like you did about people dying in waiting rooms you would have called them a snowflake being overly dramatic.

I have literally never done that but ok
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2020, 04:02:19 PM »

The peak of the Spanish Flu was October/November 1918.  The midterm elections were famously held on schedule nationwide on Tuesday, November 5, 1918.*  (Things might have gone a bit differently if they had been delayed, considering the armistice happened only 6 days later.)

Obviously we've got 100 years more experience with pandemics, and wartime considerations played a role, but no, they did not delay elections due to the Spanish flu (which was a lot worse than this).

[*Maine, as was typical back then, held its elections in early September.]
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2020, 04:06:43 PM »

Did the Ohio Supreme Court validate what DeWine did? Or did they basically say, "well we aren't saying what you did is right, but at this point you just have to postpone."

They refused to order the elections to go on. They could have.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »

They explicitly denied the legal challenge to the state &, as such, implicitly allowed the delay to proceed (which I suppose means they implicitly validated what DeWine & the Health Commissioner did, yes), but they did so without issuing an opinion so we can't really speak as to their actual thoughts behind doing so.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2020, 04:08:15 PM »

They simply issued a decision denying the writ without an opinion. So technically there’s no precedent set, although that in and of itself sets a precedent of sorts...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »

Court ordered him not to reschedule and he ignored it. It's illegal period and he should be removed from office and locked up! it's truly shocking to see you defend it!!

No, the lower Columbus court did NOT tell DeWine not to reschedule. They refused to issue a court order requiring a reschedule. Huge difference.

The Ohio Supremes refused to issue an order forcing the elections to be held today.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2020, 04:19:22 PM »

No, the lower Columbus court did NOT tell DeWine not to reschedule. They refused to issue a court order requiring a reschedule. Huge difference.

The Ohio Supremes refused to issue an order forcing the elections to be held today.

Yeah, what basically happened was he thought the Executive Branch couldn't unilaterally delay, so he requested a judge to do so; when they declined, he figured out a way to do so unilaterally from within the Executive Branch (via the Health Commissioner), & him doing so was upheld - or, at the very least, not held invalid - by the Supreme Court.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2020, 05:35:00 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2020, 06:25:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »