The time has come...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:47:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The time has come...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: The time has come...  (Read 7356 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2006, 10:27:46 PM »

I think his point here is that the wing of the party scared me off, which is true to an extent, not the individual posters.

Well, your economic score indicates you probably fit better within the Republican party anyway.

By the way, does this mean that you are comfortable with the James Dobson/Pat Robertson/Sean Hannity wing of the Republican party?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2006, 10:32:38 PM »

I think his point here is that the wing of the party scared me off, which is true to an extent, not the individual posters.

Well, your economic score indicates you probably fit better within the Republican party anyway.

By the way, does this mean that you are comfortable with the James Dobson/Pat Robertson/Sean Hannity wing of the Republican party?

Appearntly, since he's a lot more worried about scary left-wing types like Barbara Boxer or whatever.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2006, 10:37:23 PM »

Appearntly, since he's a lot more worried about scary left-wing types like Barbara Boxer or whatever.

As I've said before, I still intend to vote for Casey this fall and actively support his candidacy.  Once the Democrats provide a real plan rather than just saying 'no' to the GOP to reduce the scope of the federal government (granted the Republicans aren't good at this - but better), I will probably switch back.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2006, 10:38:27 PM »

myeh. I hate the Republicans, I hate the Democrats. I hate the Liberals, I hate Labor. Political parties, especially major parties, are inherently bad, self-serving and uncaring. The people in the parties might not be, but political parties have no desire to do anything but continue their existance and bring themselves more power.

And nini, as long as you have a blue-VA avatar, i'm probably just going to glaze over your posts. No offence, but it's a built-in reflex.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2006, 10:43:00 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2006, 11:31:06 PM by Scoonie »

Once the Democrats provide a real plan rather than just saying 'no' to the GOP to reduce the scope of the federal government (granted the Republicans aren't good at this - but better), I will probably switch back.

The Democrats will have a concrete plan before the elections, probably in the next 2-3 months. If you've heard, the Republicans didn't roll out the Contract with American until September of 1994 (two months before the election).
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2006, 10:45:21 PM »

[Once the Democrats provide a real plan rather than just saying 'no' to the GOP to reduce the scope of the federal government (granted the Republicans aren't good at this - but better), I will probably switch back.

The Democrats will have a concrete plan before the elections, probably in the next 2-3 months. If you've heard, the Republicans didn't roll out the Contract with American until September of 1994 (two months before the election).

I hope you're right and I hope I find it palatable.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2006, 10:47:03 PM »

I hope you're right and I hope I find it palatable.

I wouldn't count on it, nini. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2006, 10:53:47 PM »

Good riddance.  There is no point in having people who are 1) theocrats and 2) ignorant of economics in the liberal party.

I'll give you #2, although I would have phrased it differently, but how is an agnostic like myself a theocrat?

You support the Religious Party.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2006, 11:05:15 PM »

Good riddance.  There is no point in having people who are 1) theocrats and 2) ignorant of economics in the liberal party.

I'll give you #2, although I would have phrased it differently, but how is an agnostic like myself a theocrat?

I don't support 100% of their ideals.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

Regardless, you support them being in power, which in practice supports 100% of their ideas.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »

As I've said before, I still intend to vote for Casey this fall and actively support his candidacy.  Once the Democrats provide a real plan rather than just saying 'no' to the GOP to reduce the scope of the federal government (granted the Republicans aren't good at this - but better), I will probably switch back.

The Democrat have had real plans if you had ever been paying attention, unlike the Republicans. What's the Republican's plans, wise-guy?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2006, 11:36:34 PM »

Then get the hell out.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2006, 11:37:56 PM »

As you can tell by my avatar, I am now a Republican.

Congratulations!
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2006, 12:16:40 AM »

Then get the hell out.

And become a Democrat again where you tell me to get the hell out because I don't support 100% of their ideals either?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2006, 12:19:10 AM »

The Democrat have had real plans if you had ever been paying attention, unlike the Republicans. What's the Republican's plans, wise-guy?

I'd like to hear a clear, concise vision from the Democrats.  The Republicans aren't perfect but they are committed to perserving judicial integrity, preventing terrorism by continuing to fight in Iraq (although I did oppose the initial invasion - it would be foolish to leave now) and have shown more of a tendency to promote fiscal responsibility.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2006, 12:20:01 AM »

Then get the hell out.

And become a Democrat again where you tell me to get the hell out because I don't support 100% of their ideals either?

Oh, what bullsh**t. Many Democrats disagree with me on many issues, and I don't tell them to get the hell out.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2006, 12:22:13 AM »

This is why all states need primaries like Minnesota's.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2006, 12:23:01 AM »

I'd like to hear a clear, concise vision from the Democrats.  The Republicans aren't perfect but they are committed to perserving judicial integrity, preventing terrorism by continuing to fight in Iraq (although I did oppose the initial invasion - it would be foolish to leave now) and have shown more of a tendency to promote fiscal responsibility.

How do lying activist conservative judges preserve judicial integrity?

How does ignoring the 8/06/01 memo, failing to capture Osama, and invading an unrelated country help fight terror? We are torturing people in Iraq. You are clueless if you think that is helping against terrorism.

This is why all states need primaries like Minnesota's.

Explain
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2006, 12:29:29 AM »

You don't register under any party. The primary ballot has sections for 4 parties (the Republicans, DFL, Independence Party and Greens, the 4 parties recognized as "major", although I expect the last two to lose that status after the next election). You can vote under whichever party you like, although you have to vote in the same party's primary for every office, but you can "switch" parties between elections. I don't see the point in registration.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2006, 12:35:51 AM »

Then get the hell out.

Oh, what bullsh**t. Many Democrats disagree with me on many issues, and I don't tell them to get the hell out.

I'll reserve judgment until after Alito's confirmation

That's a good point.  If he votes nay, the Lieberman sig will go away at least for a little while.

Leave, DINO.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2006, 12:38:31 AM »

Then get the hell out.

That's a good point.  If he votes nay, the Lieberman sig will go away at least for a little while.

Leave, DINO.

That doesn't contradict what I said.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2006, 12:40:01 AM »

How do lying activist conservative judges preserve judicial integrity?

How does ignoring the 8/06/01 memo, failing to capture Osama, and invading an unrelated country help fight terror? We are torturing people in Iraq. You are clueless if you think that is helping against terrorism.

As I've said several times in this thread, I was strongly opposed to the initial invasion of Iraq.  However, we can't change what has past and I feel that the Republican's stay the course method to rebuild and stablize Iraq before withdrawing his the correct one.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2006, 12:40:54 AM »

Then get the hell out.

Leave, DINO.

That doesn't contradict what I said.

You told me to leave the Democratic party, how does that not contradict what you said?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2006, 12:41:33 AM »

This feels very bad because it seems like a lot of forum members have switched over to the Republicans. I remember when Emsworth used to be a Democrat, Alcon used to be a solid liberal. Now that's hard to imagine. The only one who has gone from Republican to Democrat is J-Mann. I wonder if there's something about this board that changes people?

Regarding judicial issues, I really wish migrendel still posted here. I'll be the first to admit that my interest in judicial philosophy would be limited to constitutional cases that have a substantial impact on outcomes, and stem mostly from how it affects outcomes. I simply don't want to fall into the dishonest trap of trying to argue legal interpretation from politically motivated ends.

But when I see people like nini citing this forum and him deciding to be an originalist as a factor in deciding his party id, it really is troubling, because I think any honest person will admit that we really do not have a balanced debate on this site when it comes to judicial philosophy, and I don't think nini is really being exposed to any counterarguments or responses coming from the other side. That is not nini's fault... anyone who listens to only one side over, and over, and over again will be convinced. That is the same way talk radio works. A18 and Emsworth are practically legal experts for their age, but they are only 17, and there are complicated intricacies to judicial philosophy that can't possibly come out on a message board.

Further, it seems like there is a huge cache of people just hanging over the percipice (sp): Frodo, Virginian87, Ebowed, etc. etc. These tend to be some of the most solid and interesting posters. However, when I see a post by one of them it's generally more often than not in favor of some conservative position or denouncing some Democrat. I've said in the past that I think a lot of the people on this site who have avatars ought to be independents. Yet (as might be expected for the politically motivated), the adoption of a political party seems quite necessary. Every day I half expect a post from one of those guys saying "Hey everyone I'm a Republican now"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2006, 12:42:35 AM »

As I've said several times in this thread, I was strongly opposed to the initial invasion of Iraq.  However, we can't change what has past and I feel that the Republican's stay the course method to rebuild and stablize Iraq before withdrawing his the correct one.

We could be there 50 years. We've built permanent bases.

I now quote:

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is".  - some crazy liberal

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies