PPP: ME-Biden/Sanders both +10; AZ-Biden+1, Sanders -1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:03:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  PPP: ME-Biden/Sanders both +10; AZ-Biden+1, Sanders -1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PPP: ME-Biden/Sanders both +10; AZ-Biden+1, Sanders -1  (Read 1494 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 07:07:06 PM »

Was Maine's 2016 margin a fluke?

I'm hoping that entire election was a fluke.

2020 is looking scarily similar though.

Democrats have better hindsight now though, it shouldn't be as easy for the exact same scenarios to play out in a general election. Polls too have been more accurate since 2016.

Trump can still win, don't get me wrong, but I really don't think it's going to be that much of an echo of four years ago.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 09:25:48 PM »

Remember when PPP had Clinton at +5 in a bunch of states that Trump won two days before the election? Toss it in the trash with the rest of their polls.

Remember when PPP was the first one to pick up the Biden surge in SC?  They hit some and miss some, just like most other pollsters.  On average they're pretty good.

Primary polls aren't GE polls considering the latter has a distinct D bias due to a lot or R's not answering them.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 11:15:24 PM »

Remember when PPP had Clinton at +5 in a bunch of states that Trump won two days before the election? Toss it in the trash with the rest of their polls.

Remember when PPP was the first one to pick up the Biden surge in SC?  They hit some and miss some, just like most other pollsters.  On average they're pretty good.

Primary polls aren't GE polls considering the latter has a distinct D bias due to a lot or R's not answering them.

That seems to be a pattern of late in Midwestern states, sure, but in other parts of the country, polls have generally been correct in predicting margins and in some cases (TX, CA, AZ, and NV) actually underestimating Democratic margins consistently
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 11:57:25 PM »

Imagine telling someone in 2010 that Arizona might have two Democratic Senators, Georgia might gain a Democratic Senator, Susan Collins is on a possible path to defeat, and President Donald Trump would be in danger of losing Arizona, North Carolina, and Georgia to Joe Biden.

Imagine telling them that democrats would lose Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania in 6 years' time.

Thats not much of a surprise if you look at the 2004 results , so I could easily see that happening.

Obama's margin in those states was a total fluke as he did better than every Dem there since 1952 with the exception of LBJ in 1964
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 11:58:13 PM »

Imagine telling someone in 2010 that Arizona might have two Democratic Senators, Georgia might gain a Democratic Senator, Susan Collins is on a possible path to defeat, and President Donald Trump would be in danger of losing Arizona, North Carolina, and Georgia to Joe Biden.

Imagine telling them that democrats would lose Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania in 6 years' time.

Thats not much of a surprise if you look at the 2004 results , so I could easily see that happening.

Obama's margin in those states was a total fluke as he did better than every Dem there since 1952 with the exception of LBJ in 1964
Bill Clinton cleaned up pretty well in those states, especially in 1996.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 12:05:42 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2020, 12:12:39 AM by Yellowhammer »

That was exactly my point -- everything libertpaulian said in his post was within the realm of plausibility in 2010. Just as a Republican winning the big three rust belt states was also well within that realm, and would not have been very shocking at all.
Democrats came close to electing Democratic senators in GA and AZ in 2008 and 2012, respectively. Neither were safe R states in 2010. NC voted blue in 2008, and GA was mildly competitive. All three of these states were competitive to varying degrees in the late 2000's/early 2010's.
He's trying to frame these trends as some kind of shocking development/bottom falling out that puts the GOP in a dire situation, when that simply is not the truth. It was a facile statement.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 12:07:21 AM »

Bill Clinton cleaned up pretty well in those states, especially in 1996.

Still not as good as Obama 2008 though.

PA:

1996: Clinton wins by 9.2 Points
2008: Obama wins by 10.3 Points

MI:

1996: Clinton wins by 13.2 Points
2008: Obama wins by 16.5 Points

WI:

1996: Clinton Wins by 10.3 Points
2008: Obama wins by 13.9 Points

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »