What is up with Ed Rendell?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:25:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What is up with Ed Rendell?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is up with Ed Rendell?  (Read 3132 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2006, 12:34:52 PM »

What is the deal with Ed Rendell?  I didn't realize the man was so unpopular as governor that a former football player with barely any political experience is suddenly locked in a dead heat with him.

Where did Ed Rendell go wrong?  What has he done as governor to bring him to such a tough reelection race?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:57:06 PM »

Where did Ed Rendell go wrong?  What has he done as governor to bring him to such a tough reelection race?

His major faux pas was supporting the Congressional pay raise which they retroactively applied to this term in office using a constitutional loophole.  He's also failed to introduce meaningful property tax reform (the Act 72 plan to shift  school funding bombed).  However, some good things have come out of his administration, such as Growing Greener and the slot machine bill.  I'm withholding my personal endorsement in the race until I learn more about what Lynn Swann stands for.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:27:33 PM »

The expectations were so high with the ever-so-popular Rendell during the 2002 campaign and then people saw what he really was once he was in office - overrated. How about that special session on property tax reform, Eddie? I still haven't seen it? Did you call for it on one of the Post Game Live programs that I happened to miss?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 02:29:26 PM »

The expectations were so high with the ever-so-popular Rendell during the 2002 campaign and then people saw what he really was once he was in office - overrated. How about that special session on property tax reform, Eddie? I still haven't seen it? Did you call for it on one of the Post Game Live programs that I happened to miss?

Yet you still continue to defend your sports guy.  Typical GOP hypocrite!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 02:31:03 PM »

Yes, because Phil was obviously finding fault with being a sports announcer in that post, instead of failing to institute property tax reform.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 02:36:07 PM »

Yes, because Phil was obviously finding fault with being a sports announcer in that post, instead of failing to institute property tax reform.

I was pointing out how Phil can be so crass about Rendell and Post Game Live when he is supporting a guy whose only credentials are a star WR with some broadcast experience on ABC.  Alco, the GOP is a calling you buddy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »

I was pointing out how Phil can be so crass about Rendell and Post Game Live when he is supporting a guy whose only credentials are a star WR with some broadcast experience on ABC.  Alco, the GOP is a calling you buddy.

The difference, idiot, is that that was Swann's job! That was his priority! Rendell paid more attention to sports commentating than being Governor. I don't have a problem when outsiders get involved if they're serious. I do, however, have a problem with people getting elected and then caring about other things. You knows it bad when I follow politics and see the Governor doing more in regards to the Eagles than anything else.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 03:15:25 PM »

The difference, idiot, is that that was Swann's job! That was his priority! Rendell paid more attention to sports commentating than being Governor. I don't have a problem when outsiders get involved if they're serious. I do, however, have a problem with people getting elected and then caring about other things. You knows it bad when I follow politics and see the Governor doing more in regards to the Eagles than anything else.

Rendell did it OFF DUTY ON WEEKENDS.  And Rendell has not done a bad job as governor considering the lack of funds from the Federal Government and a hamstringing GOP legislature he has contended with in office.  Granted, it's not perfect and I'd only give him an 8 out of 10 at this point, but it's FAR better than I would give Swann.  I'd much rather vote for Bill Scranton who at least has some credibility, but instead of Scranton you guys rally behing Swann after the Steelers win the Super Bowl.  The GOP in this state ceases to amaze me.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 04:12:21 PM »

I'd agree with the part about how Alcon should join the GOP.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 04:13:20 PM »

Rendell's signature issue was property tax reform.  It failed.

Then, there is the pay raise issue, which is enough, state wide, to defeat him.  Just ask Justice Nigro.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 05:00:43 PM »

I think nini has it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 07:02:01 PM »

Rendell did it OFF DUTY ON WEEKENDS.  And Rendell has not done a bad job as governor considering the lack of funds from the Federal Government and a hamstringing GOP legislature he has contended with in office.  Granted, it's not perfect and I'd only give him an 8 out of 10 at this point, but it's FAR better than I would give Swann.  I'd much rather vote for Bill Scranton who at least has some credibility, but instead of Scranton you guys rally behing Swann after the Steelers win the Super Bowl.  The GOP in this state ceases to amaze me.

Off duty yet he couldn't spend that time doing something more useful? I seriously see the man doing more for the Eagles than for the state.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think you meant "never" ceases to amaze you so let me ask you something - Compare the two state parties - which is more successful? Then tell me which never ceases to amaze you.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 07:28:07 PM »

I'd much rather vote for Bill Scranton who at least has some credibility, but instead of Scranton you guys rally behing Swann after the Steelers win the Super Bowl. 

1) Because he is a RINO

2) I've been behind Swann since the beginning so don't throw that at me.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 07:28:45 PM »

If you were taking issue with that, you should have said so, instead of attacking Phil's Post Game Live joke while not responding to the property tax part of his post, which was the part that actually mattered.

I don't know what political lean has to do with anything I've said here so far.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 07:45:43 PM »

Off duty yet he couldn't spend that time doing something more useful? I seriously see the man doing more for the Eagles than for the state.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think you meant "never" ceases to amaze you so let me ask you something - Compare the two state parties - which is more successful? Then tell me which never ceases to amaze you.

Geography Phil, geography helps you.  It doesn't hurt when Dem districts are 90% Dem while GOP districts are 53% GOP. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 07:48:49 PM »

Geography Phil, geography helps you.  It doesn't hurt when Dem districts are 90% Dem while GOP districts are 53% GOP. 

Oh, of course! You believe we're a Dem state yet we haven't elected a Democrat to a full term in the Senate since 1962 and you blame geography now? Give it a rest.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 07:50:59 PM »

Oh, of course! You believe we're a Dem state yet we haven't elected a Democrat to a full term in the Senate since 1962 and you blame geography now? Give it a rest.

And the Republicans minus Santorum are moderates with union support.  Santorum caught a lucky break in 1994 with the Gingrich Revolution along with a lightweight in Ron Klink as an opponent in 2000.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 08:29:01 PM »

Rendell has not done a bad job as governor considering the lack of funds from the Federal Government ...

Why on earth should the Feds be sending money to the States in the first place?
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 09:46:06 PM »

And the Republicans minus Santorum are moderates with union support.  Santorum caught a lucky break in 1994 with the Gingrich Revolution along with a lightweight in Ron Klink as an opponent in 2000.

This is true.  Arlen Specter is a quasi-Democrat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 09:47:58 PM »

This is true.  Arlen Specter is a quasi-Democrat.

Well, obviously this proves it:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00090

No, of course he's not a Democrat.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 05:09:59 AM »

Is Lynn Swann a far right lunatic like Blackwell in OH or a center-right Republican? What are his beliefs and views? The Wikipedia entry on him doesn't say anything.

If he is moderate, are the social conservatives (Toomey supporters?) going to back him only because of his race? If so I wish they'd be as considerate to Specter.

danwxman

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »

Is Lynn Swann a far right lunatic like Blackwell in OH or a center-right Republican? What are his beliefs and views? The Wikipedia entry on him doesn't say anything.

If he is moderate, are the social conservatives (Toomey supporters?) going to back him only because of his race? If so I wish they'd be as considerate to Specter.

Well, we don't really know. But he really seems to be playing up the abortion card. I do NOT think he is center-right.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 09:33:11 PM »

Swann has been pushing the social issues and is clearly conservative. The Toomey supporters (myself included) have been behind Swann for awhile now. When Scranton was in the race he represented more of the Specter crowd. If Swann happended to be center right then he would most certainly have more opposition or his current opposition (Jim Panyard) would receive a bit more attention.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 10:54:07 PM »

Well, we don't really know. But he really seems to be playing up the abortion card. I do NOT think he is center-right.

His website said something like, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, he'd favor some restrictions.  That's far short of, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, he'd ban all abortions.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 09:36:01 AM »

Swann has been pushing the social issues and is clearly conservative. The Toomey supporters (myself included) have been behind Swann for awhile now. When Scranton was in the race he represented more of the Specter crowd. If Swann happended to be center right then he would most certainly have more opposition or his current opposition (Jim Panyard) would receive a bit more attention.

So then Steele, Swann and Blackwell all seem to be putting social issues at the front of their campaigns. This is probably because of the new realization that blacks are socially conservative. If they pushed economic issues they wouldn't make as much of an impact in the black community, since they remain economically left wing.

I remember being surprised when Rendell was elected because I had seen him on the Chris Matthews show and he seemed like an old fashioned "machine" politician, like a Tammany Hall guy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies