Super Tuesday Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 02:51:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Super Tuesday Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 94
Author Topic: Super Tuesday Results Thread  (Read 96387 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: March 04, 2020, 12:31:20 AM »

The South votes for Biden, but the South is gonna vote Trump in the end, the only state that matters is WI

Except, Biden could very well win Florida against Trump, in which case it's game over for Trump.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1701 on: March 04, 2020, 12:32:15 AM »

Biden's margin is getting pretty large in Texas.  I don't see how Bernie spins this.  He lost MA, MN, might lose ME, is losing TX.  Lost the South by a wide margin.  I suppose if Warren stays in it they could deny Biden enough delegates, but I'm not seeing a path for Bernie to actually have the most delegates.

I'm amazed by the power of Amy Klobuchar in Minnesota. She delivered her home state to Biden on a silver platter, which should put to rest any doubts that she would have lost it had she not dropped out. And it appears that Klobuchar and Buttigieg gave Biden the support that he needed to beat both Sanders and Warren in Massachusetts.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1702 on: March 04, 2020, 12:33:26 AM »

All of the super close states are really interesting to me.

Minnesota isn't surprising to me, though I wasn't expecting it, either. Klobuchar's endorsement of Biden played a big role here, and while I don't think it was shady in any way, it was definitely intentional for her to pull out and endorse Biden before voting happened in the state where her endorsement means the most. Throw in that Biden is apparently the candidate that appeals to black voters the most and rural Minnesotan Democrats are moderates & sexist, and it pretty nicely explains the flip from Bernie to Biden.

I will vote for Biden if he does, in fact, become the nominee, but I will be holding my nose. I don't think he's a good option for who the Democratic party is now, and while Trump may be worried about facing him, I think as Biden has more time in the spotlight, he will turn off more voters.

Anyway, the tightness of the race in some of these states is fun to watch, at any rate!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1703 on: March 04, 2020, 12:35:49 AM »

Biden's margin is getting pretty large in Texas.  I don't see how Bernie spins this.  He lost MA, MN, might lose ME, is losing TX.  Lost the South by a wide margin.  I suppose if Warren stays in it they could deny Biden enough delegates, but I'm not seeing a path for Bernie to actually have the most delegates.

I'm amazed by the power of Amy Klobuchar in Minnesota. She delivered her home state to Biden on a silver platter, which should put to rest any doubts that she would have lost it had she not dropped out. And it appears that Klobuchar and Buttigieg gave Biden the support that he needed to beat both Sanders and Warren in Massachusetts.

Not only that, but she delivered it in TWO DAYS.
indietraveler

« Reply #1704 on: March 04, 2020, 12:36:19 AM »

Seeing some of the Bernie meltdown posts here tonight remind me why it's understandable for some to not get behind him when they're jabbed for not being some sort of purist.

He campaigns on "us" not "me" and "expanding his coalition" yet some of his supporters literally make it about him and only him. He says he's going to bring new people in who don't typically turn out yet he hasn't proven it yet. And when he doesn't his vocal supporters cry conspiracy whenever it feels convenient. You can't truly expand your coalition by making everything black and white.

As I posted in Atlas after Dark a little while earlier. Threads like this remind me why I like Sanders much more than many of his supporters. Though I really liked his speech and he made out of a good compelling argument as to why he would be a better candidate than Biden. Though honestly most are all right. The only ones that truly pissed me off or the ones that say they would not support Biden in November because their heart was broken. Hey, every single Democrat supporting Biden - - not the few Republicans who do so hyphen hyphen are pretty much without exception committed to voting for Bernie if he's the nominee. Hell, i'll campaign my ass off as much as I can for him to get Trump thrown out. But Tee's me off that it seems there is a much much stronger element of Bernie voters who are ready to pick up their ball and go home for four more years of trump rather than accepting a candidate who is pro-union, pro education spending, Pro DREAM Act, Pro Paris Accord, Pro public auction, will nominate and pass Progressive justices the Judiciary, pro-choice, etc etc etc

LOL! At the risk of momentarily hijacking This Thread, did any other Biden supporters get band from aad by hockey dude tonight? I just posted the above in my last two posts, including the complement of Sanders speech, and a certain hockey dude mod just banned me because I suggested that Bernie Sanders wasn't the best candidate in the race. LOL LOL! This from the notoriously we never ban people because we genuinely believe in free speech moderator who liked posts just the other day calling Vosem, and I quote, subhuman. Apparently that's acceptable, but don't you dare criticize Bernie! Hell, even inks wouldn't do something like.

LOL poor wittle hockey dude. I would have never guessed that inside he was such a fragile Little Snowflake. Cry

Agreed for the most part I like Sanders even if he's not my first choice. I think he's made more of an effort this time around to call for unity and has at least made some attempts at framing his stances in new ways. I'm also over the Bernie or bust crowd. Most of his policies aren't going to get passed even if he gets elected with a democratic congress. There's absolutely no logic in truly being for progressive policies and then hoping Trump wins is your plan B.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1705 on: March 04, 2020, 12:36:37 AM »

Are we convinced it was Klobuchar?  Biden seems to be overperforming everywhere.  Maine, though an older population, is surprising to me.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1706 on: March 04, 2020, 12:38:09 AM »

For those of you who don't think Biden represents where the Democratic Party is right now, and he's from a different time, etc.  Think of it this way.  Trump is a huge problem.  We need to get rid of him immediately.  Biden is a temporary solution.  There is a lot of time for a next generation to take the reigns but right now we need Trump gone before he does more damage.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1707 on: March 04, 2020, 12:38:52 AM »

I wonder if she’s the front runner for VP now. Harris didn’t back Biden when he needed it and Klobuchar did
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1708 on: March 04, 2020, 12:39:21 AM »

Hell, Hillary Clinton using a non completely brain-dead campaign strategy of ignoring Michigan Pennsylvania and Wisconsin almost entirely in favor of places like Texas and New Orleans, could have been would have won Electoral College, having beaten Trump by millions of votes.

It only looks that way in hindsight. She was well ahead in all those states until the last week. (Which also suggests campaigning in them might not have done anything.)

If she campaigned in them, and not Texas, and still lost, but was within a few points in Texas, you'd probably criticize her for not campaigning there.

Um, no? If she won the election I wouldn't give a damn if she lost Texas, because I'm not an idiot.

No if she lost the election.

When someone runs a campaign like that and whines up losing by a fraction of a percentage point in three crucial states that till the election despite winning the popular vote by 3 million, one can genuinely place a lot of that defeat on Tactical stupidity.

Yeah maybe. But none of us knows what would have happened if she shifted resources to those states. Maybe she loses Colorado and Virginia instead. 538 had Trump pretty consistently with a ~30% chance to win in the last month, well above Romney & McCain. No matter how it happened, there'd be room for criticism.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1709 on: March 04, 2020, 12:39:32 AM »

Are we convinced it was Klobuchar?  Biden seems to be overperforming everywhere.  Maine, though an older population, is surprising to me.

Older WWC democrats are Biden voters- these seem to be your prime Sanders ->Biden voters, which does bode well for him in the general as he is also strong in the surburbs and with black voters. Latinos and younger voters will be a problem for him though.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #1710 on: March 04, 2020, 12:39:44 AM »

Call me skeptical but I am not so sure CA is in the bag for Bernie
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1711 on: March 04, 2020, 12:40:10 AM »

On the GOP side, states where Weld is over 5% as of right now….

Massachusetts
Trump 87%
Weld 9%

Utah
Trump 89%
Weld 6%

Vermont
Trump 89%
Weld 10%
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1712 on: March 04, 2020, 12:40:16 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1713 on: March 04, 2020, 12:40:21 AM »

I am so glad I dont have to get anymore Bernie text or emails after a bad night he had losing MN and MA
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1714 on: March 04, 2020, 12:40:32 AM »

Not only that, but she delivered it in TWO DAYS.

She would have won the state quite handily if she had still been in (anyone who says otherwise really doesn't understand the state). She made sure people knew who she was endorsing. They followed her advice. Rural Minnesota would have voted Biden anyway with her out (Pete in and her out would have been really interesting vs Biden), though Nobles and Watonwan counties will be interesting to see--Bernie's appeal to Hispanic voters (or lack thereof) will show in their results.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1715 on: March 04, 2020, 12:40:57 AM »

I can’t believe the DNC was able to force millions to vote again Bernie Sanders. Truly amazing the power and reach they have!

Too bad your party couldn’t do the same and now we’re stuck with Trump. Also too bad we’re about to nominate another Hillary. Oh well.

Except, and this may have some slight influence on the election, Joe Biden does not have more remotely near the same levels of disapproval, distrust, and visceral dislike that most Americans felt for Clinton. He's actually much stronger than the average candid in that respect, including Sanders.

Joe Biden would have won the 2016 election. Hell, Hillary Clinton using a non completely brain-dead campaign strategy of ignoring Michigan Pennsylvania and Wisconsin almost entirely in favor of places like Texas and New Orleans, could have been would have won Electoral College, having beaten Trump by millions of votes.

LOL no. Just no. Stop underrating Trump's political skills. It had just as much to do with him as it did with Hillary. He turned out voters and inspired voters. Democrats keep thinking it's only their deficiencies it's ALSO Trump's strength which is why he won and why he will win again.

Trump didn't inspire voters. He duped them.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1716 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:34 AM »

what's ur thinking?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1717 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:51 AM »

We've got like another month of vote counting there
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1718 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:59 AM »

Next time they hold a Sanders rally in your district, DON'T go to it.

The Bern is dead. Bury it. (Consider this mercy.)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1719 on: March 04, 2020, 12:42:46 AM »

Hell, Hillary Clinton using a non completely brain-dead campaign strategy of ignoring Michigan Pennsylvania and Wisconsin almost entirely in favor of places like Texas and New Orleans, could have been would have won Electoral College, having beaten Trump by millions of votes.

It only looks that way in hindsight. She was well ahead in all those states until the last week. (Which also suggests campaigning in them might not have done anything.)

If she campaigned in them, and not Texas, and still lost, but was within a few points in Texas, you'd probably criticize her for not campaigning there.

Um, no? If she won the election I wouldn't give a damn if she lost Texas, because I'm not an idiot.

No if she lost the election.

When someone runs a campaign like that and whines up losing by a fraction of a percentage point in three crucial states that till the election despite winning the popular vote by 3 million, one can genuinely place a lot of that defeat on Tactical stupidity.

Yeah maybe. But none of us knows what would have happened if she shifted resources to those states. Maybe she loses Colorado and Virginia instead. 538 had Trump pretty consistently with a ~30% chance to win in the last month, well above Romney & McCain. No matter how it happened, there'd be room for criticism.

Hindsight is 2020 but it boggles my mind that Russia knew to interfere in Wisconsin and Michigan but Hillary's team didn't even consider campaigning in those states.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1720 on: March 04, 2020, 12:43:59 AM »

I hope you are right. I read that it will take days to finalize the vote tally. People seem to be jumping to conclusions.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1721 on: March 04, 2020, 12:44:06 AM »

Even with a Sanders landslide in California, Biden will lead in total delegates. Wow!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1722 on: March 04, 2020, 12:44:21 AM »

Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #1723 on: March 04, 2020, 12:44:57 AM »

There are so many factors that made the events of tonight possible. First, I think the DNC changing the rules to allow Bloomberg to participate in the last two debates helped Biden. If Bloomberg weren't in the Nevada Debate, that debate would've been the knockout punch for Biden's campaign as everyone crucified Bloomberg. Without him, all the attacks would've went to Biden. Second was the Clyburn endorsement. Third was Pete and Amy dropping out and campaigning for Biden (Biden wouldn't have won Minnesota without Amy's endorsement IMHO).

That all said, the fact that Bernie performed so poorly in Minnesota and Oklahoma (after winning both so strongly in 2016( really makes me question the extent of Bernie's appeal to working class whites. Tonight I'm starting to buy into the notion that Bernie did as well as he did in 2016 with that demographic because he was the sole anti Hillary vote in that primary and that they would've voted someone else if that someone was there. I'm gonna be watching Michigan and Missouri next week. If Bernie gets beat and beat bad in those states, then this will confirm that I and many others that said Bernie had strong appeal with working class  whites were wrong.

that's a lot of words for "Biden had no way to win the primary so Obama helped fix it for him, but we still should give him a ton of undue credit so that he's a paper tiger in the general."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1724 on: March 04, 2020, 12:45:43 AM »

For those of you who don't think Biden represents where the Democratic Party is right now, and he's from a different time, etc.  Think of it this way.  Trump is a huge problem.  We need to get rid of him immediately.  Biden is a temporary solution.  There is a lot of time for a next generation to take the reigns but right now we need Trump gone before he does more damage.

Succinct and excellent post.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 94  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies