"Politically correct" DUers want to ban criticism of Islam
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  "Politically correct" DUers want to ban criticism of Islam
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Politically correct" DUers want to ban criticism of Islam  (Read 3791 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »

...or not:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=102&topic_id=2097179

Hmmm, I thought dazzleman said liberals wanted to make criticizing Islam illegal and all liberals loved Islam? LOL.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 07:41:47 PM »

Why would liberals love a radicalized religious ideology that was started out of disgust for liberalism? The man who started Islamist fundamentalism, Sayyed Qutb (one of whose disciples was Ayman Al-Zawahiri, one of bin Laden's mentors) developed his ideology because he came to America and was disgusted at its secular liberalism. When he went back to Egypt he wrote a few books, became influential in the religious Muslim Brotherhood, and martyred himself opposing his country's secular regime, which he had supported until Nasser refused to adopt sharia law. After Nasser's defeat in the Six Day War, millions of disillusioned Arabs were fertile ground for the religious extremists to start spreading their views.

Qutb has a lot more in common with neoconservative godfather Leo Strauss, while his Pakistani counterpart Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi (of Jamat-e-Islami), the man who first proposed the modern version of "jihad" was the most prominent muslim opponent of modernization, pluralism, and feminism.

Liberals will be the first, not the last, to criticize the underlying ideology behind radical Islamism.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 07:44:38 PM »

Hey, I never said it made sense, ask dazzleman about his logic to that claim.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 07:50:33 PM »

If the UN agrees to that France will use its veto even if no one else will.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 08:15:56 PM »

I think he was probably thinking about liberal support for multiculturalism. Multiculturalism is the existence of different cultures within a broader liberal context. It does not mean cultures that do not accept things such as freedom of speech, or who accept violence as a political tool. What it does mean is tolerance of non-traditional cultures that are capable of coexisting with one another.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 10:47:30 PM »

You have a strange obsession with what I think.  Clearly, you are mentally ill.  Plus, you are not understanding the nuance of what I meant, because your mind is not capable of functioning at that level of sophistocation.  I won't bother to clarify because it's beyond your capability to understand in any case.  It would be like trying to teach calculus to a toddler.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »

Why have the mainstream (liberal) media refused to print or show the cartoons, even as part of a discussion of the issue, while FoxNews, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Austin American-Statesman, and the New York Sun (all conservative or pro-Bush) have shown them?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 12:38:16 PM »

Why do you suddenly have no avatar?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »

Who?  Everyone I see in this thread has an avatar.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 12:59:25 PM »

You have no avatar. Or at least, it doesn't show up for me.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 04:51:50 PM »

...or not:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=102&topic_id=2097179

Hmmm, I thought dazzleman said liberals wanted to make criticizing Islam illegal and all liberals loved Islam? LOL.

What the Sam Hill are  you talking about.  I looked over the last few pages of his posts (He is clearly a very prolific poster), and could find nothing making any such claim.  Nor did the thread you linked to give me any additional insight, beyond perhaps that even DU has limits for the excessively trollish.

Can you explain what you mean, and provide links to the original postings which you believe make such claims so his words can be viewed in context?

Though I disagree with a number of his views, he seems to express himself   rationally enough.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies