Official Melbourne 2006 thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:05:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Official Melbourne 2006 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Official Melbourne 2006 thread  (Read 7583 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 08:10:44 AM »
« edited: March 15, 2006, 08:14:04 AM by Governor Afleitch »

I liked the idea of them using brollys to display the name of each nation Smiley

And the Australian team seemed to wear my old school blazer!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 08:08:17 AM »

Day one medal tally:

country                      G   S   B      T    points
-------------------------------------------------------
AUSTRALIA                 3   4   4      11    21
SCOTLAND                 2   0   1       3      7
ENGLAND                   1   3   2       6      11
INDIA                         1   0   0       1      3
NEW ZEALAND           1   0   0       1      3
SOUTH AFRICA           1   0   0       1      3
CANADA                     0   2   1       3      5
WALES                      0    0   1       1      1

We're not doing as well as we expected, but we're still dominant-just under half the medals available.

Both England and Australia have had clean sweeps-England in the men's pursuit (cycling), and Australia in the women's 200m individual medley (swimming)

Scotland won two swimming golds and a cycling bronze; australia two cycling golds and a bronze, one weightlifting bronze, one swimming gold, 4 silver and 2 bronzes. Wales got a swimming bronze; India a weightlifiting gold; south africa and new zealand, both gold in swimming, Canada a bronze in swimming as well as a silver, and a silver in weightlifting. England won a gold, a bronze and three silvers in the cycling, and a bronze in the pool.

Ther's also something about a Malaysian winning gold in something, but it's not on the official medal tally, so...Huh

All in all, a good start to the games.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »

Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed that New Zealand perform the Haka at every bloody sporting event now and it seems that everyone must wait while they perform it?

Come on Kiwis- it's not intimidating, it's just annoying Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 07:30:33 PM »

Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed that New Zealand perform the Haka at every bloody sporting event now and it seems that everyone must wait while they perform it?

Ka tu te ihiihi.

Ka tu te wanawana.

I disagree-I love the haka.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 07:36:59 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2006, 07:38:32 PM by Governor Afleitch »

Ka tu te ihiihi.

Ka tu te wanawana.

I disagree-I love the haka.

Yeah, but before a match and then again afterwards if they win? When they won a team swimming event or something they even did it by the poolside! It's done ad nauseum that even I've just about memorised the chant! Smiley

Scotland should bring a Claymore, throw it into the Haka then charge, scattering them as they rush to reclaim it just for fun Wink But even that would get boring after a while.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2006, 06:32:00 AM »

By the way, four swimming golds to Scotland?

My sister said 'Michelle Smith would be proud' and I just might be inclined to agree with her :S

I want Scotland to do well, but they are doing suspiciously well.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2006, 11:04:21 PM »

This is not getting much coverage here. Too many sports events this week. March is a terrible time to hold a major sporting event like this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2006, 11:13:46 PM »

I would hope that Australa would be worrying more about Leisure Suit Larry up in Queensland that the Commonplace Games in Melbourne.  Altho both suffer from inflated numbers, since Larry would only be a Category 3 over here, not a Category 5. Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2006, 12:09:26 AM »

I would hope that Australa would be worrying more about Leisure Suit Larry up in Queensland that the Commonplace Games in Melbourne.  Altho both suffer from inflated numbers, since Larry would only be a Category 3 over here, not a Category 5. Tongue

Myeh. It destroyed some bananas. No big deal-and it is only catergory three now; it was catergory 5 when it was still at sea.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2006, 12:11:36 AM »

This is not getting much coverage here.

That's probably because you've only won five gold-less then Scotland. Sure, you've got 13 silver and 10 bronze, but gold seems to be in short supply :S

India is the opposite-11 gold, 8 silver and 2 bronze.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2006, 09:20:34 PM »

I'm loving these games Smiley. In a way, I prefer them to the Olympics. The only thing though (and I wish all four 'Home Nations' well, plus Crown dependencies), Australia's lead in the medals wouldn't be so big if the 'Home Nations' were one

Dave
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2006, 10:24:30 PM »

That's probably because you've only won five gold-less then Scotland. Sure, you've got 13 silver and 10 bronze, but gold seems to be in short supply :S

It has nothing to do with medals, Hugh. It has everything to do with the terrible timing of the event. Let's see, we have the WBC, the NCAA March Madness the CIS basketball finals, World Women's curling championship, the Brier, NHL, NBA, MLB spring training not to mention the Paralympics, the World Figure Skating championships and the World Speed Skating championships.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2006, 02:54:03 AM »

It has nothing to do with medals, Hugh. It has everything to do with the terrible timing of the event. Let's see, we have the WBC, the NCAA March Madness the CIS basketball finals, World Women's curling championship, the Brier, NHL, NBA, MLB spring training not to mention the Paralympics, the World Figure Skating championships and the World Speed Skating championships.

Aside from the Paralympics, nobody in the commonwealth cares about any of them but the Canadians-and the only other country that cares about the Paralympics is Australia.

Coincidentally, we won 41 medals yesterday :S

Medal update:

Australia           46           41         34         121         (254 points)
(UK)                  28           28         28         84           (168 points)
--England         18           22          15         55           (--113 points)
--Scotland         8             5           7           20           (--41 points)
--Wales            1              0           5           6             (--8 points)
--Isle of Man     1             0           1            2             (--4 points)
--Nth. Ireland    0            1            0           1             (--2 points)
India                14           8             4          26           (62 points)
Canada            7             17          15         39           (70 points)
South Africa      7             4            7          18           (36 points)
Malaysia           3             3            4          10           (19 points)
New Zealand    2             4            10        16           (24 points)
Nigeria             2              2            2          6             (12 points)
Jamaica            2             1             1          4             (9 points)
Singapore        1              2            3          6             (10 points)
Kenya              1              2            1          4             (8 points)
Cyprus             1             1             1          3             (6 points)
Papua New G   1             1             0          2             (5 points)
Pakistan           1             0             1          2             (4 points)
Ghana              1             0             0          1             (3 points) 
Sri Lanka          1             0             0          1             (3 points) 
Tanzania          1             0             0          1             (3 points)
Cameroon        0             1             2          3             (4 points)
Bahamas          0             1             0          1             (2 points)
Bangladesh      0             1             0          1             (2 points)
Malta                0             1             0          1             (2 points)
Trinidad & Tob  0             0             2          2             (2 points)
Fiji                    0             0             1          1              (1 point)
Seychelles        0             0             1          1              (1 point)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2006, 02:56:50 AM »

Aside from the Paralympics, nobody cares about any of them but the Canadians-and the only other country that cares about the Paralympics is Australia.

Huh Many if not most of what I listed are also cared about by Americans as well, not just Canadians. In fact, some are cared more. I cant also see how Australians would care about the Parylympics. You have like what, zero medals?

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2006, 03:01:44 AM »

Medal update:

Australia           46           41         34         121         (254 points)
(UK)                  28           28         28         84           (168 points)
--England         18           22          15         55           (--113 points)
--Scotland         8             5           7           20           (--41 points)
--Wales            1              0           5           6             (--8 points)
--Isle of Man     1             0           1            2             (--4 points)
--Nth. Ireland    0            1            0           1             (--2 points)
India                14           8             4          26           (62 points)
Canada            7             17          15         39           (70 points)
South Africa      7             4            7          18           (36 points)
Malaysia           3             3            4          10           (19 points)
New Zealand    2             4            10        16           (24 points)
Nigeria             2              2            2          6             (12 points)
Jamaica            2             1             1          4             (9 points)
Singapore        1              2            3          6             (10 points)
Kenya              1              2            1          4             (8 points)
Cyprus             1             1             1          3             (6 points)
Papua New G   1             1             0          2             (5 points)
Pakistan           1             0             1          2             (4 points)
Ghana              1             0             0          1             (3 points) 
Sri Lanka          1             0             0          1             (3 points) 
Tanzania          1             0             0          1             (3 points)
Cameroon        0             1             2          3             (4 points)
Bahamas          0             1             0          1             (2 points)
Bangladesh      0             1             0          1             (2 points)
Malta                0             1             0          1             (2 points)
Trinidad & Tob  0             0             2          2             (2 points)
Fiji                    0             0             1          1              (1 point)
Seychelles        0             0             1          1              (1 point)

Canadian athletes recently seem to be really good at doing well while still not winning.

I guess that goes along with the stereotype of Canadian politeness.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2006, 03:11:15 AM »

Aside from the Paralympics, nobody cares about any of them but the Canadians-and the only other country that cares about the Paralympics is Australia.

Huh Many if not most of what I listed are also cared about by Americans as well, not just Canadians. In fact, some are cared more. I cant also see how Australians would care about the Parylympics. You have like what, zero medals?

we got 2-a silver and a bronze.

BTW, i meant to say 'in the commonwealth' and edited in straight after posting.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »

The Isle of Man is not part of the UK.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2006, 09:03:59 AM »

Under which banner do they compete at the Olympics?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 10:19:22 AM »

Their own Smiley, I guess . The Isle of Man is not integral parts of the UK I t is a crown depdendency. I understand the UK is responsible for their defense and external affairs. It has its own executive and legislature. It is does not have representativesin the UK Parliament

I believe much the same is true for the Channel Islands

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2006, 10:38:36 AM »

They're tax havens basically. Which is quite sad really.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »

Their own Smiley, I guess . The Isle of Man is not integral parts of the UK I t is a crown depdendency. I understand the UK is responsible for their defense and external affairs. It has its own executive and legislature. It is does not have representativesin the UK Parliament

Dave

Actually athletes from the Crown dependencies do compete for the British Olympic team as would those from overseas territories that don't have their own Olympic committee.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2006, 08:24:03 PM »

Dave

Actually athletes from the Crown dependencies do compete for the British Olympic team as would those from overseas territories that don't have their own Olympic committee.

I stand corrected Smiley

Dave
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2006, 08:52:39 AM »

With one day left, Australia has it's most ever medals, with 207, although we're still short of our target of 88 golds (we have 79). The next closest country, England, has 102 medals-104 less then us Tongue

Canada's finally winning some Gold, with 22 now, along with 29 silver and 27 bronze. Partially to thank is the absolutely, completely and thoroughly hot Alexandre Despatie, who I still remember winning gold in KL when he was 13 or 14. Alex:

I base my hair around him.

New Zealand, however, still struggles to get golden medals; only 5 of them along with 10 silver and 13 bronze. Wales has a similar problem; 3/5/10.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2006, 12:09:49 PM »

I believe England had it's best gold medal haul of the games today Smiley

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau