Orlando cop arrests two! six year olds in one day, gets fired
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:34:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Orlando cop arrests two! six year olds in one day, gets fired
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Orlando cop arrests two! six year olds in one day, gets fired  (Read 551 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2020, 01:38:35 AM »

linke-local
Body camera footage released today shows the arrest of a Florida six-year-old last year that sparked national outrage and led to the firing of the police officer involved.

The family of Kaia Rolle shared body camera footage with media outlets showing former Orlando police officer Dennis Turner and another officer putting zip-ties around the small child's wrists and leading her outside to a police car as she cries and begs to be let go.

"What are those for?" Rolle, a first-grader at an Orlando-area charter school, asks as the officer bring out the zip-ties.

"They're for you," Turner responds.

<snip>

Officials have said that Turner also arrested a 6-year-old boy at Nixon Academy the same day as Kaia for misdemeanor battery in an unrelated incident. However, the boy’s arrest was halted by superiors before the child made it through the full arrest process.

Details about the boy’s arrest have not been made public.

The following day, prosecutors dropped the charge against Kaia.

Orlando Police Department officials have said Turner violated agency policy on arresting children younger than 12, which requires officers to get a supervisor’s approval — something Turner did not do. However, his decision was not illegal as Florida currently does not have a minimum age for arrest.
yes, the fired cop sucks, but who the hell calls the cops on little kids?  I feel for teachers who are not free to punish bad kids as they see fit leading to this kind of thing, but sheesh.  There has to be a middle ground somewhere.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 01:55:37 AM »

Teaching children to respect authority at a young age is USUALLY a good thing.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 03:38:32 PM »

Parenting has become terrible. Parents let their children do whatever they want.

Please, parents of Atlas, introduce discipline to your child.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 03:51:55 PM »

Very stupid and the sign of a society that is sick, it is extremely traumatic for a six year old child to be arrested.

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 05:31:18 PM »

I wonder if his excuse was "they told me they were 18."
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »

Parenting has become terrible. Parents let their children do whatever they want.

Please don't ever become a parent.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 06:16:36 PM »

If a child has become unruly to the point of all other options being exhausted, don't call the police, call their parents to come pick them up.

That is what was done when I was in school.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »

So basically, your opinion is that parents shouldn't discipline their children?

You know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Perhaps that explains the maroon avatar.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 04:37:04 AM »

you don't think parents should discipline children?
If a child has become unruly to the point of all other options being exhausted, don't call the police, call their parents to come pick them up.

That is what was done when I was in school.
this is only helpful if the parent(s) gives a sh**t.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 01:34:31 AM »

I couldn't agree more. Without proper discipline and training on how to conduct oneself in normal society in day-to-day life, your kids, Atlas Forum, could wind up as messed up as those School employees who thought it was perfectly appropriate to call the police on a six-year-old.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 01:35:41 AM »

You know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Perhaps that explains the maroon avatar.

I don't think we need to worry about you becoming a parent anytime soon.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »

Remember, when all else fails, just use personal attacks.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 10:10:26 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2020, 10:34:00 AM by NoobMaster69 »

Little brats had it coming. Man if more kids spent time in the pokey, they wouldn't be so disrespectful. Since we're arresting kids for doing age appropriate things (like a 6yo throwing a tantrum), can I call the cops on my 14yo cousin for wearing too much Axe body spray and listening to bad music?

(/s in case it wasn't obvious)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »

Remember, when all else fails, just use personal attacks.

They're my usual go to when the person to whom I'm responding's argument is so patently ridiculous and jaw-droppingly inane, that trying to engage them in a rational discussion is clearly pointless. Such as trying to offer a counter point to the claim that a cop arresting and handcuffing 6 year old kids is ever remotely justifiable, let alone somehow, bizarrely, indicative of lax parenting.

So yeah, at that point rather than wasting the time and bandwidth trying to get a profoundly unreasonable person to see reason, sometimes it's simply best to call the goober out on their manifest gooberhood and call it a day.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 07:07:14 AM »

You do know this six year old child has sleep apnea, right? Idk if you’ve ever been around kids who haven’t slept but they’re not usually that pleasant to be around even if they’re otherwise well behaved.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 09:49:22 AM »

I agree.  Today’s parents are way to laissez-faire.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-dennis-turner-kaia-rolle-opd-investigation-20200226-tzflezycdnfpvjlu74lqwaltva-story.html

An Orlando police sergeant who allowed reserve Officer Dennis Turner to arrest a 6-year-old at a charter school in September was disciplined recently after admitting he didn’t know the department’s policy on arresting juveniles at the time.

An Internal Affairs investigation obtained by the Orlando Sentinel Wednesday evening shows Turner and Officer Sergio Ramos contacted Sgt. Douglas Andreacchi, Ramos’ supervisor, during at least one of two arrests of children Turner made at the school that day. However, Andreacchi didn’t contact the on-duty watch commander for approval, as policy required when arresting a child younger than 12, records show.

That's the part I didn't get; how that arrest was approved.  In situations like this, a patrol officer doesn't just arrest a person; they have to get authorization from their supervisor, which is their Sergeant in most cases.  Here it is; a case where the boss doesn't know policy.  Nice.

I don't understand why a degree of sense didn't prevail here.  If the kid's parents couldn't be called, were there no other interventions?  If this kid came from a bad home situation, why wouldn't DCF (Florida's child protective agency) not be called to intervene?

The school is in a no-win situation, and that's a problem.  The kid goes off, hits multiple adults; what can the school to do get the child under control without being sued, and without diverting all of their resources toward that kid, when there is a whole school full of kids being affected by this (or, at a minimum, the ones who are aware of the incident as it happens)?  It's easy to blame here, but how do we bring a child like this under control so the routines can go on normally from that point?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies