Chicken Hawks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:33:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Chicken Hawks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: You know the drill
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Chicken Hawks  (Read 2652 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:50:58 PM »

Dave
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:54:24 PM »

What is a Chicken Hawk?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 02:08:06 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2006, 02:16:30 PM by nickshepDEM »

Dick Cheney would be a good example.

Or Bill Clinton...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 02:09:54 PM »

A Democrat's name for those who support military action, yet are not in the military. The Progress Fag uses it often.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:10:52 PM »

From the Urban Dictionary:

2. A politician or other person who promotes war without having had any personal experience of it; especially those who have avoided the experience.

That draft-dodging chickenhawk has no business sending our children to war.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 02:48:04 PM »

From the Urban Dictionary:

2. A politician or other person who promotes war without having had any personal experience of it; especially those who have avoided the experience.

That draft-dodging chickenhawk has no business sending our children to war.

So, you're saying that Clinton was unqualified for office?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 04:12:56 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2006, 04:16:26 PM by nickshepDEM »

Im not saying anything.

Thats the definition, and according to that definition, Cheney and Clinton are prime examples of chicken hawks.

I personally do not think serving in the military should be a prerequisite for running for POTUS.  Its definitely a plus, but it should not be a deciding factor.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »

Im not saying anything.

Thats the definition, and according to that definition, Cheney and Clinton are prime examples of chicken hawks.

I don’t know the story about Cheney, but all Clinton had to say was [paraphrased]:  “I am not a coward; I am more than willing to fight for my country.  But I had no desire to go and fight a war in which the leadership of this country lacked the courage and the will to win.  And if you elect me as your president, I promise you I will never send your young men and women into harm’s way without giving them every opportunity to win a quick and decisive victory so that they can return home to a welcoming and grateful country.”

And to be perfectly frank, if Kerry had left his movie camera at home, instead of using it to politically exploit his duty to his country, he would be president right now.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:00:39 PM »

I personally do not think serving in the military should be a prerequisite for running for POTUS.  Its definitely a plus, but it should not be a deciding factor.

^^^^^

BTW - I voted FF
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:22:35 PM »

Clinton's answer, if sincere, was certainly reasonable.  I'm wondering whether it was sincere or he just genuinely was a coward on the matter.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 06:36:03 PM »

Clinton's answer, if sincere, was certainly reasonable.  I'm wondering whether it was sincere or he just genuinely was a coward on the matter.

I hope you're not referring to Clinton's answer that I posted, because I made it up.  I was simply saying that he should have said that.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 07:05:09 PM »

People who deserve to die.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 07:08:25 PM »

Describe you military service Progress
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 07:14:02 PM »

I don't advocate for our soldiers to be sent off to fight on a lie without the proper gear like the Bush-Cheney Republicans...  Nothing wrong with not serving until you start to support sending them to their deaths without acceptable armor over lies.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 07:25:17 PM »

I don't advocate for our soldiers to be sent off to fight on a lie without the proper gear like the Bush-Cheney Republicans...  Nothing wrong with not serving until you start to support sending them to their deaths without acceptable armor over lies.

Body Armour and Lies, is that really all you see?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 11:26:14 PM »

I see in Rumsfeld and company a group of people who fail to grasp that dealing with a guerilla war requires more than having the ability to kill enemy troops that stand and fight.  We have a military that is incomparably the best when it comes to dealing with conventional style armies, but it is woefully undersized when we ask it to deal with a guerilla force that is able to hide among a local populace.  I've been of the opinion that Rumsfeld should have been fired the moment he downplayed the significance of the looting that took place in the aftermath of the toppling of Saddam.  If we had been able to deal with that looting, I'm convinced we would have had a much easier time in Iraq than has been the case.  Unfortunately, Rumsfeld paid so much attention to trying to debunk the Powell doctrine, that he forgot about the Guilliani doctrine (i.e. the Broken Windows Theory).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 11:14:25 AM »

Given that we're broadly defining this group and not limiting it to a particular set of Chicken Hawks, I can't answer. Some are Freedom Fighters, others Horrible people. Broad generalizations on a large group that has varying views do not serve any good purpose - this is like asking "Humans, FF or HP?"
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 12:01:41 PM »

HP Tongue
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 12:08:54 PM »

It would make "horrible person" somewhat of a redundancy.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 12:30:59 PM »

I think there would be far fewer wars if the leaders of the waring nations had to be the first ones into battle. (i.e the first one the enemy trains his sights on.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 01:36:02 PM »

I'm a pessimist so that I can be pleasantly surprised when things go right.

Angel of Death
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 07:53:43 PM »

See sig.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 08:36:49 PM »

If the war they are advocating is justified, then they are freedom fighters.  if the war they are advocating is not justified, they are horrible people.  Simple.

I see in Rumsfeld and company a group of people who fail to grasp that dealing with a guerilla war requires more than having the ability to kill enemy troops that stand and fight.  We have a military that is incomparably the best when it comes to dealing with conventional style armies, but it is woefully undersized when we ask it to deal with a guerilla force that is able to hide among a local populace.  I've been of the opinion that Rumsfeld should have been fired the moment he downplayed the significance of the looting that took place in the aftermath of the toppling of Saddam.  If we had been able to deal with that looting, I'm convinced we would have had a much easier time in Iraq than has been the case.  Unfortunately, Rumsfeld paid so much attention to trying to debunk the Powell doctrine, that he forgot about the Guilliani doctrine (i.e. the Broken Windows Theory).

I would agreee with you that Rumsfeld is a terrible Secretary of Defense, but he is also a veteran of the armed forces and not a chickenhawk.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 11:03:17 PM »

Rumsfeld's douchebaggery has nothing to do with him possibly being a chickenhawk.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 11:08:15 PM »

Ernest is not a human.  Ernest is a figment of my imagination, just like the rest of you Grin
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies