Episcopalians more likely to be Dems?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 09:13:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Episcopalians more likely to be Dems?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Episcopalians more likely to be Dems?  (Read 747 times)
Downeaster89
Newdealer89
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »

At the turn of the 20th century most northern Protestants were overwhelmingly Republican with the highest being Congregationalists and Unitarians at close to 90%. Northern Episcopalians were only at a little above 50%. Any thoughts?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 01:56:11 PM »

I’m not sure about that. It is, however, true that most non-Methodist mainline groups in America have much higher education/income than Catholics and evangelicals. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Episcopalians are more Democratic.

IIRC, evangelicals are >60% R, Catholics/Mainline Protestants are >60% D. I don’t know how old they statistic was, but I remember it pretty clearly from... somewhere...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:40:57 PM »

I’m not sure about that. It is, however, true that most non-Methodist mainline groups in America have much higher education/income than Catholics and evangelicals. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Episcopalians are more Democratic.

IIRC, evangelicals are >60% R, Catholics/Mainline Protestants are >60% D. I don’t know how old they statistic was, but I remember it pretty clearly from... somewhere...

OP is asking about the early twentieth century, though, when the educational attainment cleavage in US politics didn't exist yet.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »

The prohibition issue might have been a major reason why Episcopalians (and German Lutherans) were about evenly split, and thus way more likely to be Democratic than most other northern Protestants.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 05:49:15 PM »

OP is asking about the early twentieth century, though, when the educational attainment cleavage in US politics didn't exist yet.
Sure, but I was specifically answering about now, hence my first sentence “I don’t know about that.” Sorry for not being more clear.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »

The prohibition issue might have been a major reason why Episcopalians (and German Lutherans) were about evenly split, and thus way more likely to be Democratic than most other northern Protestants.
Why would Episcopalians be against prohibition more so than other Protestant groups? I don't know much about that denomination.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:38 PM »

Why would Episcopalians be against prohibition more so than other Protestant groups? I don't know much about that denomination.
The Pietist movement that spawned Prohibition was far more associated with Low Church Protestantism than High Church Protestantism. The Episcopal Church in the U.S. is primarily High Church in orientation.
F. Joe Haydn
HenryWallaceVP

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 11:21:36 PM »

The Pietist movement that spawned Prohibition was far more associated with Low Church Protestantism than High Church Protestantism. The Episcopal Church in the U.S. is primarily High Church in orientation.

This. Despite the famous "Republican Party at Prayer" quote, Episcopalians were only solidly Republican for a brief period in the mid-20th century, as before then the Republicans had been too anti-liturgical and afterwards would again be associated with Evangelicalism due to the rise of the religious right, while at the same time Episcopalians would become known as the most socially liberal denomination.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 04:30:15 PM »

This. Despite the famous "Republican Party at Prayer" quote, Episcopalians were only solidly Republican for a brief period in the mid-20th century, as before then the Republicans had been too anti-liturgical and afterwards would again be associated with Evangelicalism due to the rise of the religious right, while at the same time Episcopalians would become known as the most socially liberal denomination.

Which is of course a snowclone of the historically much closer to accurate "Tory Party at prayer" description of the Established Church in England.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies