Sixth Amendment, Schriro v. Summerlin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:20:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Sixth Amendment, Schriro v. Summerlin
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The decision was...
Sound

Unsound

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 3

Author Topic: Sixth Amendment, Schriro v. Summerlin  (Read 1090 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2006, 03:12:47 PM »

Schriro v. Summerlin, 542 U.S. ___ (2004)

Respondent was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death under Arizona's capital sentencing scheme then in effect, which authorized the trial judge, rather than the jury, to determine the presence of aggravating circumstances that make the defendant eligible for the death sentence. The State Supreme Court affirmed on direct review. While respondent's subsequent federal habeas case was pending in the Ninth Circuit, this Court decided that Apprendi v. New Jersey, 530 U. S. 466, 490, required the existence of an aggravating factor to be proved to a jury rather than a judge under Arizona's scheme. Ring v. Arizona, 536 U. S. 584, 603-609. The Ninth Circuit invalidated respondent's death sentence, rejecting the argument that Ring did not apply because respondent's conviction and sentence had become final on direct review before Ring was decided.

Held: Ring does not apply retroactively to cases already final on direct review.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 07:48:49 PM »

Under Teague v. Lane, a new procedural rule is retroactive if it "implicates fundamental fairness," or is "implicit in the concept of ordered liberty." What exactly these terms mean, I do not know. Phrases such as "fundamental fairness" and "ordered liberty" are vague and subjective, and should not have any role in sound jurisprudence. I have no idea as to whether the rule announced in Ring implicates "fundamental fairness" or is implicit in "ordered liberty."
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 10:00:24 PM »

I would never make anything retroactive, so I voted 'sound,' though it's neither that, nor the opposite.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies