Rate the House in a Trump vs. Sanders Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:53:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rate the House in a Trump vs. Sanders Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Rate the House of Representatives in a Trump vs. Sanders race.
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tilt D

Toss-up

Tilt R

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Rate the House in a Trump vs. Sanders Race  (Read 852 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2020, 02:31:26 PM »

Basically, how imperiled will our majority in the House be if Bernie Sanders becomes our nominee?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 02:34:03 PM »

Basically, how imperiled will our majority in the House be if Bernie Sanders becomes our nominee?

No more imperiled than it otherwise would be...
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 05:40:43 PM »

It will not be. Stop s**tting your pants and try - just try, I beg of you - to have at least a rudimentary grasp of politics and the trends thereof.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:33:15 PM »

House is Safe D regardless of the nominee.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »

Likely D. I can’t see more than 10 Democrats lose their seats.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 11:05:48 PM »

Likely D
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 03:38:43 AM »

House is Safe D Likely D regardless of the nominee.

Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 03:41:37 AM »

The identity of the presidential nominee will likely hardly matter for the House.

The main problem for republicans is that they have failed to recruit strong challengers in many must win congressional districts (think about WI-3, MI-8, MI-11, NY-19), thus their chances of taking back the house are fairly low (around 15% to 20%) no matter who will run against Trump
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 03:55:54 PM »

Likely D. I think the identity of the Democratic presidential nominee could have a strong impact on control of the Senate, but I doubt Democrats would lose by a large enough margin to imperil the House. On the other hand, I'm not ready to completely rule it out this far from the election.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 11:44:41 AM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2020, 03:19:35 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

So you want people to take a leap of faith on Bernie Sanders when we are staring at the prospect of losing the House and other down-ballot races if he is nominated?  
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 06:06:43 PM »

Lean D
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 07:16:56 PM »

So you want people to take a leap of faith on Bernie Sanders when we are staring at the prospect of losing the House and other down-ballot races if he is nominated?  

You're the one taking the leap of faith presuming that nominating Bernie Sanders comes with losing the house. There's no evidence to suggest that, only decades of conventional wisdom and brainwashing that farther left = less electable.
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 07:52:57 PM »

I see it's peak "knowing nothing at all about politics and trends" hours again.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »

Roll Eyes

Instead of condescending to me, and telling me the equivalent of 'do your own research' (that I simply do not have the time or inclination to do), why don't you use your undoubtedly vast reservoir of knowledge and explain why I am wrong to think the way I do?  Because your approach isn't assuaging any of my concerns that I regard as reasonable.  And I highly doubt I am alone in this. 
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »

Roll Eyes

Instead of condescending to me, and telling me the equivalent of 'do your own research' (that I simply do not have the time or inclination to do), why don't you use your undoubtedly vast reservoir of knowledge and explain why I am wrong to think the way I do?  Because your approach isn't assuaging any of my concerns that I regard as reasonable.  And I highly doubt I am alone in this.  

I say what I say because I seriously need to know: are you naive enough to believe that candidate ideology matters to the point of costing us suburban seats that are trending massively leftward and that, in some cases, we won by significant margins? Because I can very safely assure you that it doesn't. The moderates we picked up in Virginia and California are seriously not likely to suddenly decide to like Trump, who was the keystone reason they bolted from the GOP in the first place, just because we nominated Bernie Sanders.

Also, if you're willing to admit that you don't actually want to do research, maybe you shouldn't be on a political forum.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 04:12:37 PM »

Roll Eyes

I say what I say because I seriously need to know: are you naive enough to believe that candidate ideology matters to the point of costing us suburban seats that are trending massively leftward and that, in some cases, we won by significant margins? Because I can very safely assure you that it doesn't. The moderates we picked up in Virginia and California are seriously not likely to suddenly decide to like Trump, who was the keystone reason they bolted from the GOP in the first place, just because we nominated Bernie Sanders.

Bernie Sanders is perceived as a radical given his history with the Soviet Union, Cuba, and Nicaragua.  That already makes voters nervous about the prospect of him as President of the United States.  If you combine his problematic background with the likely astronomical costs to middle-class taxpayers of his policy proposals like Medicare-for-All, Tuition-Free College, and the Green New Deal, it looks like a disaster-in-the-making to anyone not already supporting Bernie Sanders. If you think that will not be taken advantage of by Republicans up and down the ballot, perhaps it is you who suffers from projection as severely as some of our dear friends on the right.

Voters (at most) want reform, not revolution.  At least this election cycle.  

Also, if you're willing to admit that you don't actually want to do research, maybe you shouldn't be on a political forum.

I post here because I am interested in politics, and I enjoy interacting with (and learning from) those who know more about it than I do.  Just because my approach is more casual than you prefer is hardly reason for me to banish myself from this forum because it suits you.  If (God willing) I eventually stop posting here semi-permanently, it will be because I have outgrown this place, and left out of my own volition, not because I was prompted to.  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies