LouisvilleThunder for Southern Senate! VICTORY!!!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:18:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LouisvilleThunder for Southern Senate! VICTORY!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: LouisvilleThunder for Southern Senate! VICTORY!!!!!  (Read 2841 times)
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »

Thanks for the endorsements!

Sad to see conservatives lining up behind drug kingpin and known fedoralist Louisville Thunder. Think of the children!TM
Hey, I am the candidate in this race who can give the best deals to conservatives!  Wink
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 02:57:35 PM »

It's been 8 months since you introduced a bill despite serving in congress for nearly all that time. But I've introduced over 20 bills during my 3 1/2 months in the senate. If the South wants an senator who represents them why should they prefer you?
As for this point, I'll say that introducing bills isn't the only form of activity in a legislature. I feel like I've been pretty active in debate and I attend just about every vote. Also around 8 months ago was when the rule change that you voted for was passed with an aim at silencing the minority, and with a proudly hostile presidential administration and congressional majority simply made it less worthwhile of my focus to dig up old TNF bills like you have.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »

Endorsed!
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 04:53:12 PM »

Thanks!  Smile
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 05:09:31 PM »

It's been 8 months since you introduced a bill despite serving in congress for nearly all that time. But I've introduced over 20 bills during my 3 1/2 months in the senate. If the South wants an senator who represents them why should they prefer you?
As for this point, I'll say that introducing bills isn't the only form of activity in a legislature. I feel like I've been pretty active in debate and I attend just about every vote. Also around 8 months ago was when the rule change that you voted for was passed with an aim at silencing the minority, and with a proudly hostile presidential administration and congressional majority simply made it less worthwhile of my focus to dig up old TNF bills like you have.

The idea that we need new laws is a terrible one. If anything, we need fewer laws and less regulation. The only bills that LouisvilleThunder should be proposing should be to repeal our old bad laws.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 05:15:44 PM »

The idea that we need new laws is a terrible one. If anything, we need fewer laws and less regulation. The only bills that LouisvilleThunder should be proposing should be to repeal our old bad laws.
In that case, would you be interested in us bringing back Dumb Regulation Repeal Acts, of which plenty were passed prior to the Labor trifecta that started in July of last year?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 05:17:55 PM »

In that case, would you be interested in us bringing back Dumb Regulation Repeal Acts, of which plenty were passed prior to the Labor trifecta that started in July of last year?

Depends on the proposed text, but I’m all for repealing dumb regulations, especially stupid occupational licensing regs that harm Atlasians’ ability to make an honest living. Unfortunately, a lot of those are likely at the regional level.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »

I completely regret voting for that rule change and I've urged the house in private a few times since to repeal it.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 06:10:10 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2020, 06:14:13 PM by Representative LouisvilleThunder »

I completely regret voting for that rule change and I've urged the house in private a few times since to repeal it.
You never complained about that publically before. So why say that now when you know you're vulnerable in your reelection bid?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2020, 06:30:00 PM »

You never complained about that publically before. So why say that now when you know you're vulnerable in your reelection bid?

LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2020, 06:36:40 PM »

I suppose this is Laborcord which is definitely not transparent and public by any stretch lol. Also why censor out that other poster's name?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »

I suppose this is Laborcord which is definitely not transparent and public by any stretch lol. Also why censor out that other poster's name?
Point being, I regret voting for it. But it's not a hugely pressing issue so I guess I never felt the need or found the right opportunity to speak out publicly.

I'm also not gonna leak things that were said by other people in private.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 06:48:58 PM »

Point being, I regret voting for it. But it's not a hugely pressing issue so I guess I never felt the need or found the right opportunity to speak out publicly.

I'm also not gonna leak things that were said by other people in private.
Actions speak louder than words, and you are undeniably complicit in the "managed democracy" by the Labor Party running roughshod across Nyman for the past 8 months. You definitely have a lot of influence within the party, and you could have done something about it earlier. Why didn't you do it, if you believe you care.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2020, 06:49:59 PM »

I don't agree with MB, the rule change was necessary due to unprecedented obstruction from those who refused to accept the election result. I recommend that the House does not repeal it as that would make it very hard for mandates for change to actually become law.

However LT's excuse for inactivity is pretty weak, if his bill ideas were good then regardless of his party they would have been passed. I hope he can work constructively with me, I am happy to work with him in areas where we can find common ground. However, so far he has not demonstrated that ability.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »

The Senate rules are better bc we kept our heads.
John Henry Eden
Rookie
Uganda

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2020, 07:15:29 PM »

Endorsed!
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »

I don't agree with MB, the rule change was necessary due to unprecedented obstruction from those who refused to accept the election result. I recommend that the House does not repeal it as that would make it very hard for mandates for change to actually become law.

However LT's excuse for inactivity is pretty weak, if his bill ideas were good then regardless of his party they would have been passed. I hope he can work constructively with me, I am happy to work with him in areas where we can find common ground. However, so far he has not demonstrated that ability.
This is a voluntary game first and foremost. In order to have a culture of the sort of constructive interesting and fun debate that so many candidates campaign for in this game, we should preserve a free and fair access to getting legislation considered on a first come, first serve basis. We also had existing anti-clogging measures anyway prior to the rule change which made it partisanly favored.

I understand why RL politics requires a much more heavy-handed and ruthless approach to getting an agenda through, but I believe we are better than this. As for your muh mandate point, elections do matter in determining the fate of legislation, but it harms the game overall to silence an opposition because it would only lead to the said opposition to become disengaged from the game as we have seen. While that may not concern you because your side is in the advantage, but if you don't have an opposition that can be a near even match to you, then your own side would start feeling disunity and disloyalty, and fixing that issue would require you to undertake more extreme measures to keep a lid on it until you face total division within your party since people will focus on internal rivalries over an external enemy.

As for my less active moments, I don't feel any regrets because I have always maintained at least a steady presence as an important part of the game, congress, and my party. I have started college too during this time, and I figured I might as well take care of myself outside of a game where the situation frankly seemed to dire at the moment as I understand how cycles of power work in this game. Also, Congress felt like a place where my contributions were unwelcome, and I have the maturity to know where to concentrate my focus instead like a true champ.
You have never been good at having any humility, Pericles. Sure, you can point to a few bipartisan accomplishments, but it all seems like an act to me, and trying to work "constructively" with you is of no mutual use to both of us as you genuinely seem to regard any attitude you hold about a bill or a person in the game as the truth just because you say it. I know you are willing to lie and cheat to get your way on anything which just seems wrong to me.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »

That's just one reason why I want to join you in the fun chamber. Smiley

Thank you for your support!
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2020, 08:00:37 PM »

Isn’t the idea of governing to, well, govern?

Most of the bills I’ve introduced have been to increase civil liberties, not rain down authoritarianism.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »

Well, I'm not going to publicly assess my own humility. I also don't get where the actual basis for LT's idea of my open-minded approach to policy-making being 'an act' comes from. Finally, I don't see what the basis for him accusing me of lying and cheating is, and those kind of attacks seem unhelpful to the game. One possibility is that this is a form of denial by the Atlasian right. Maybe they assume that voters were lied to and can't accept that the electorate has actually made many informed rejections of what they are offering. That said, if LT does want to work constructively after the election-rather than just obstruct-and I am also elected, then I am open to working with him anyway.

To address LT's point on the rules change, I also think it would hurt the game and dispirit people if no matter what the election result, no matter the popular will for change, Congress would be so dysfunctional that it can't actually do what the people vote for. This is what we're seeing in rl US politics and the result is it harms faith in the political system. Ofc we do need to be careful with the rules, it is much better than the rl US where we don't have one 'Grim Reaper' deciding which bills come to the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2020, 08:35:25 PM »

Isn’t the idea of governing to, well, govern?

Most of the bills I’ve introduced have been to increase civil liberties, not rain down authoritarianism.

The idea of governing is not to pass laws for the sake of passing laws. It's to only pass those laws that are absolutely necessary, and get out of the Atlasian people's way in creating prosperity.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2020, 12:20:25 AM »

Endorsed!
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2020, 01:28:57 AM »

ENDORSED
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2020, 03:33:47 AM »

Thank you for your endorsements! The LTrain keeps rolling along towards victory!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 03:38:23 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2020, 12:22:31 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

No it wasn't Pericles, and MB is right.

What the House did was:
1. Cut the number of slots
2. Restricted slot access to assigned members

What the Senate did:
1. Modified the clogging rule
2. Expanded the number of slots to match the new clogging rule
3. Created two new President Activitated slots that he can activitated by EO (on top of the existing Emergency, Budget and Executive Slots)
3. Reformed Cloture.

What the Senate did would work just as easily in the House, be more efficient and address the underlying issue without serving as an impediment to productivity and election mandates or whatever other non-sense excuses you might come up to justify this archane, byzantine insanity.

The problem from the get go was one of a pre-reset clogging rule that was copied and pasted unaltered to new chambers, with different numbers of members.  

There was and is no need for this system. It is with good reason that MB thinks the way he does, he has seen how the other side lives and it works!

Eventually that system will be scrapped onto the dustbin of history, just as soon as it annoys enough people who simultaneously realize there was a simpler, easier way to address the same problem and when the partisan winds don't just insist on its preservation for the simple sake of not admitting to being wrong.  

This was the equivalent of the 2014 Senate rules amendment, which famously nuked the VP's only tangible job in the name of simplifying the text. (I wrote an alternative amendment that achieved a 67% reduction in text word count compared their 75%) and it was rejected. It wasn't because of the 8% difference in word count, it was because they were determined to see a bad idea through to its disastrous conclusion. Four years of post-reset VP integration (and some crucial 2017 reforms) into Congress and you are campaigning on being better ticket in terms of VP to administer Congress, because you have never seen an Atlasia without it.

9.08 years of Atlasian Legislative Experience says I am right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies