Assignment: Gonzales vS. Specter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:05:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Assignment: Gonzales vS. Specter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Assignment: Gonzales vS. Specter  (Read 1179 times)
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2006, 03:46:26 PM »

So, I'm taking American Constitutional Law (ironically enough, the same class AG Gonzales took from the same professor about 30 years ago), and I need to
support 1 of the 2 positions taken in Alberto Gonzales and Arlen Specter's debate - whether:

1) Specter was right in saying that the 1987 Congressional act provided proper procedure for dealing with surveillance and terrorism, or

2) Gonzales is right in saying that the blanket provision in 2001 provided adequate justification for warrantless surveillance.

I believe I want to argue for 2, but we need to use many precedents to back up the argument.  Any thoughts, ideas, sources for me to use?
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:54:50 PM »

I believe I want to argue for 2, but we need to use many precedents to back up the argument.  Any thoughts, ideas, sources for me to use?

There are none.  Though there are probably a Newsmax article or two.  But I wouldn't use that stuff unless you go to Bob Jones or Liberty....
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 12:12:09 AM »

Given the explict provisions that FISA makes for what expanded abilities that the executive gets when it comes to wiretaps in time of war, I can't see the non-FISA compliant wiretaps as being defensible under 2001 use of force provisio.  At best, a claim that such wiretaps are part of the inherent constitutional powers of the commander-in-chief might withstand scrutiny.  However, I don't think so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies