Global CO2 Emissions Flattened in 2019 After Two Years of Increases
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:40:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Global CO2 Emissions Flattened in 2019 After Two Years of Increases
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Global CO2 Emissions Flattened in 2019 After Two Years of Increases  (Read 739 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2020, 10:47:59 PM »

From the International Energy Agency:

Global CO2 emissions in 2019
Data Release: Global energy-related CO2 emissions flattened in 2019 at around 33 gigatonnes (Gt), following two years of increases

Take the good news wherever you can find it. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:21:41 PM »

The United States saw the largest decline in energy-related CO2 emissions in 2019 on a country basis – a fall of 140 Mt, or 2.9%, to 4.8 Gt. US emissions are now down almost 1 Gt from their peak in the year 2000, the largest absolute decline by any country over that period.

'MERICA! Sunglasses
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 03:53:29 AM »

Still, it's a bit like being an alcoholic and saying that you managed to keep your beer consumption limited to eight bottles a day without further increases.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:21:10 AM »

The United States saw the largest decline in energy-related CO2 emissions in 2019 on a country basis – a fall of 140 Mt, or 2.9%, to 4.8 Gt. US emissions are now down almost 1 Gt from their peak in the year 2000, the largest absolute decline by any country over that period.

'MERICA! Sunglasses

Say it with me, folks: "Global Environmental Leader United States."
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »

* You see, folks, emmisions are going down under Trump. Going way down, big league. By tremendous numbers. Under Trump, they are dropping like a rock. Nobody thought this can happen, but I said all along ever since I came down the famous golden escalator in Trump Tower. You remember? Obama never had such emmissions, not even close. And after 8 years of Trump -- or, maybe, just maybe, we should be doing another term since Mueller hoax and impeachment scam stole our first 4 years -- but, look, after 8 or 12 years, Trump will have eliminated all emmissions, that I can tell you. We will have clean coal all over the place. Clean coal, I love clean coal. Crooked Hillary wanted them out of business, but that isn't happening with Trump. We will have 100% clean coal and zero emmissions. Zero, just like Mini Mike's poll numbers. It's going to fantastic, believe me. *
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 02:24:00 PM »

I don't think being one of the top 15 carbon dioxide emitters per capita is good global news at all. I'm not a pessimist by any means, but I'd like to see a bit more progress on the environmental front before deservedly praising the US.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 02:26:28 PM »

Watch Trump take credit for this.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 02:36:52 PM »

Good news, but

Still, it's a bit like being an alcoholic and saying that you managed to keep your beer consumption limited to eight bottles a day without further increases.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 02:47:41 PM »

'MERICA! Sunglasses

Can't impeach that!
Amtrak Joe
Roosevelt
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -0.70

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 02:53:11 PM »

I think that's wonderful news. I was getting really worried it would keep getting worse and worse, especially under this presidency. But I have some hope now.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »

I don't have to watch, he'll suddenly be championing himself as an environmental hero: "Al Gore couldn't even do this!"

And people will buy it, not the ones who actually care and are informed, of course.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 12:05:20 PM »

It’s more like seeing a forest fire and announcing, “Good news! The rate of growth has stabilized!”
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 12:07:15 PM »

Actually the free market deserves credit for this
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »

oh sh**t, now you've done it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »

It’s true , carbon taxes and putting stricter and stricter regulations does not make alternative energy cheaper and does not make buying an electric car for example any more cheaper
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »

* You see, folks, emmisions are going down under Trump. Going way down, big league. By tremendous numbers. Under Trump, they are dropping like a rock. Nobody thought this can happen, but I said all along ever since I came down the famous golden escalator in Trump Tower. You remember? Obama never had such emmissions, not even close. And after 8 years of Trump -- or, maybe, just maybe, we should be doing another term since Mueller hoax and impeachment scam stole our first 4 years -- but, look, after 8 or 12 years, Trump will have eliminated all emmissions, that I can tell you. We will have clean coal all over the place. Clean coal, I love clean coal. Crooked Hillary wanted them out of business, but that isn't happening with Trump. We will have 100% clean coal and zero emmissions. Zero, just like Mini Mike's poll numbers. It's going to fantastic, believe me. *

As hilarious as this sounds, the irony is it could actually be a real quote from him.

I wouldn't be surprised, to be honest.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2020, 01:25:01 PM by GP270watch »

People are being more energy efficient. I read about how in the 70s and 80's they projected having to build massive power plants to keep up with demand but it didn't happen. Regulation that made new construction more insulated, appliances in them more energy efficient, cfl and then leds rebate programs have helped to reduce energy needs.

There has also been good regulation in manufacturing pollution and car emissions. This is why the anti-regulation crowd needs to sit down.

We will also have an upcoming revolution is solar, wind, misc renewables and grid battery storage. What Tesla did in Australia with the grid scale battery to replace the peaker plant is a game changer. It's cheaper, cleaner, and more reliable. A complete no brainer and something to be replicated across the U.S.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 01:20:51 PM »

Great, but it needs to drop by 8%.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »

People are being more energy efficient. I read about how in the 70s and 80's they projected having to build massive power plants to keep up with demand but it didn't happen. Regulation that made new construction more insulated, appliances in them more energy efficient, cfl and then leds rebate programs have helped to reduce energy needs.

There has also been good regulation in manufacturing pollution and car emissions. This is why the anti-regulation crowd needs to sit down.

We will also have an upcoming revolution is solar, wind, misc renewables and grid battery storage. What Tesla did in Australia with the grid scale battery to replace the peaker plant is a game changer. It's cheaper, cleaner, and more reliable. A complete no brainer and something to be replicated across the U.S.

Curtin University is working on developing a solar panel that works at night.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 10:04:30 AM »

This is mainly coming from the electricity grid, where coal is collapsing across the board and being replaced by gas and renewables (and occasionally nuclear). Unfortunately once the coal plants are all conked out (and a lot of countries - *cough* Japan - are being really stubborn with them) they might be the easier targets - outside of the electric grid you have the emissions from transport, industry and land use, all of which are vexing in their own way.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 11:28:21 AM »

Energy is just another cost of doing business unless one is in the energy business.

Death of coal as a viable source of energy? 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies