It it goes to a brokered convention who will be the nominee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:46:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  It it goes to a brokered convention who will be the nominee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Bernie

Bloomberg

Warren

Hillary

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: It it goes to a brokered convention who will be the nominee?  (Read 846 times)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2020, 05:52:13 PM »

Thoughts ?
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:54:48 PM »

Well, it can't be Hillary because she needs to come into the convention with at least one delegate.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »

The one with the most delegates. If it were otherwise, the Democratic Party would destroy itself, and they are not going to do that, as David Plouffe has explained.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »

The one with the most delegates. If it were otherwise, the Democratic Party would destroy itself, and they are not going to do that, as David Plouffe has explained.

Um what if 2 of Amy/Pete/Bloomberg/Biden have say have over 50% of the delegates and Bernie has 40%(and say Warren has 5%).

BernieSamders
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »

If Sanders has the most delegates but Kloubuchar and Buttigieg collectively have over 50%, you could have a real pickle on your hands. I really don't know what would happen in that instance.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »

We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 06:09:29 PM »

The likelihood is still with Bernie, since he's likelier than not to have the majority of delegates. He might have to pick Klobuchar or Buttigieg as his running mate to solidify power, though.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:06:49 PM »

If Sanders has the most delegates but Kloubuchar and Buttigieg collectively have over 50%, you could have a real pickle on your hands. I really don't know what would happen in that instance.

Harry Reid comes in, talks to everyone, and then after a while smoke appears from the Vatican and Harry Reid comes out and announces that the ticket is Sanders/Klobuchar and that Buttigieg will be Secretary of Defense (or State or whatever he wants). This assuming that Sanders is the one with the most delegates, otherwise you get something similar with the other candidate at the top of the ticket.

That is seriously how it will play out (and Reid will be the one organizing it).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »

Harry Reid comes in, talks to everyone, and then after a while smoke appears from the Vatican and Harry Reid comes out and announces that the ticket is Sanders/Klobuchar and that Buttigieg will be Secretary of Defense (or State or whatever he wants). This assuming that Sanders is the one with the most delegates, otherwise you get something similar with the other candidate at the top of the ticket.

That is seriously how it will play out (and Reid will be the one organizing it).

If anything, Pete would have far stronger claim to the VP slot that Klownbachar under such a scenario.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 07:40:06 PM »

For the sake of party unity it's going to have to be Sanders.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 07:44:43 PM »

For the sake of party unity it's going to have to be Sanders.

Not a chance
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »

Superdelegates have a tendency of supporting establishment candidates, so I say Biden, especially if he wins South Carolina and the south.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »

If he comes into the convention with the most delegates already his supporters will flip a s*** if he is deprived of the nomination. I think the DNC is secretly terrified of them, as they should be, and will capitulate for the sake of salvaging what party unity they can.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 07:52:40 PM »

If he comes into the convention with the most delegates already his supporters will flip a s*** if he is deprived of the nomination. I think the DNC is secretly terrified of them, as they should be, and will capitulate for the sake of salvaging what party unity they can.

I think many in the DNC would rather Trump narrowly win reelection than risk nominating Bernie and getting Corbyned.  Plus, Bernie has spent the past eight years sh!ting on these people.  They're not just gonna hand him the keys when they don't have to.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »

As convention is in Milwaukee, I can see a WI nominee as compromise... Baldwin or Feingold.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »

As convention is in Milwaukee, I can see a WI nominee as compromise... Baldwin or Feingold.

Feingold 2020? Holy f***! A contested convention might not be such a nightmare after all!

This won't happen though...

I think many in the DNC would rather Trump narrowly win reelection than risk nominating Bernie and getting Corbyned.  Plus, Bernie has spent the past eight years sh!ting on these people.  They're not just gonna hand him the keys when they don't have to.

That's definitely possible, there are risks to nominating Sanders that I would actually agree with. As I see it though if they let Sanders get nominated he could win, keep the party together, and keep his devout base as part of a new Democratic coalition for at least the next four years and look something like Trump's leadership of the GOP (though I doubt Sanders would ever be as powerful just by virtue of the Democratic Party being made up more of disparate factions). Or if Sanders does get Corbyned, he and his political influence lose a lot of credibility and allows the DNC to do their "I Told You So" dance and then come back in 2024 with a more mainstream candidate from the more mainstream faction of the faction with renewed interest in that type of politics, who is very likely to win after eight years of Trump.

That's the line of thinking that is making me more accepting of Sanders getting nominated, as someone who is very skeptical of him and somehow resistant to his brand. My lack of investment in him and the politics he sells will make him losing more tolerable than most other Democrats, and if he wins we don't have Trump anymore.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 08:09:36 PM »

"This guy got the most delegates. Should he be nominated?"

"No, I would rather lose to Trump than nominate Sanders."
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 08:35:24 PM »

love it or hate it (and i hate it) the ticket is going to be Bloomberg/ Harris
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »

love it or hate it (and i hate it) the ticket is going to be Bloomberg/ Harris
Love it.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 08:48:31 PM »

No, I would rather lose to Trump than nominate Sanders.

That's not how this works.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »

What if results are like this(you can replace two moderates on here with Biden/Bloomberg on here too and same point stands)

Bernie : 40% of Delegates
Amy: 28% of Delegates
Pete: 25% of Delegates

Then Amy and Pete make a deal of Amy/Pete ticket then the fact is their combined vote would be 53% compared to Bernie 40% . Thats not being robbed
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 09:04:46 PM »

What if results are like this(you can replace two moderates on here with Biden/Bloomberg on here too and same point stands)

Then Amy and Pete make a deal of Amy/Pete ticket then the fact is their combined vote would be 53% compared to Bernie 40% . Thats not being robbed
Of course it isn't. Extremely online Bernie Bros will yell for a bit that it is, but then they'll eventually get in line.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 09:07:12 PM »

Of course it isn't. Extremely online Bernie Bros will yell for a bit that it is, but then they'll eventually get in line.

Imagine still thinking this after what happened in 2016.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 09:18:18 PM »

Kyle Kulinsiki has already threatened to lead a protest of thousands of Bernie Bros at the DNC (or outside it) to force the Dems to give Bernie the nomination.

Bernie Bros are terrible
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 09:24:04 PM »

Well, it can't be Hillary because she needs to come into the convention with at least one delegate.

This is not a rule. In fact, no rule either explicitly or implicitly prohibits an attempt to get nominated from the floor after the first ballot has failed to produce a nominee. Indeed, the Democratic National Convention is only obliged to select a candidate who participated in the nominating process as a whole (i.e. even if said candidate didn't start participating in the nominating process until the convention itself), rather than simply in the primary election process.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies