FT 14-21-How Stupid are the People of Iowa Act (debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:01:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 14-21-How Stupid are the People of Iowa Act (debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 14-21-How Stupid are the People of Iowa Act (debating)  (Read 376 times)
Roblox

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »

AN ACT
to combat the inherent and deep-seated ignorance, incompetence, innumeracy and illiteracy of the people of Iowa

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "How Stupid are the People of Iowa Act." It may be cited as the "Country Bumpkins Act."

Section 2 (Resolutions)
i. This Parliament hereby resolves that the state of Iowa has proven itself to be a beacon of ignorance, incompetence, innumeracy and illiteracy, and that this must be changed as a matter of the utmost urgency.
ii. The parliament resolves that the honourable sitting member from Iowa be excluded from this legislation, and recognises her as a great exception to the trend.

Section 3 (Combatting ignorance, incompetence, innumeracy and illiteracy)
i. To combat the deep seated ignorance and incompetence among the people of Iowa a Public Inquiry into this question shall be established along the lines of the common law Royal Commission. Such an inquiry shall be headed by the Regional Justice, and the recommendations it issues must be given due consideration and debate by the Commonwealth Government.
ii. To combat the innumeracy and illiteracy of the people of the State of Iowa, a universal adult education programme shall be established to counter these plagues on good society. This programme shall be costed by the regional department of education and shall be exclusively funded by taxes levied within the state of Iowa.
iii. To combat the institutional incompetence of the Iowan State Government, the entire State Government of Iowa is summarily dismissed and shall be replaced by an interim appointed administration that shall be headed by the parliamentarian KoopaDaQuick. Such interim administration shall be temporary until the Regional Government has determined that the internal culture of the Iowan Government has sufficiently changed for them to be deemed capable of self-administration, upon which regular elections will be held to re-establish Iowan self-government.

Section 4 (Implementation)
i. This act shall take effect maybe a day after its signature by the First Minister to allow for quality control to check and resolve discrepancies.

Sponsor: Australian Swing Voter.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »

I'm going to be an annoying jerk by pointing out that the real-life caucuses are carried out by the Iowa Democratic Party, not the state of Iowa. While I can appreciate a good joke, I'm not comfortable spending regional money to address a problem that doesn't exist ITTL.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 06:15:34 PM »

On top of the echo done by the First Minister, I am very uncomfortable with several other stylistic and legal effects of this if passed.

Firstly, the title itself is wrongly directed and inflammatory to the people of Iowa. Rural Iowans don’t deserve to have verbal degradations be codified into our inclusive state, especially considering that this was the fault of a private company that was the inspiration of this app.

Moving forward, what really could spell trouble is the ramifications of S.3 C.iii. Dismissing the entire government for the fault of a company is nonsensical, especially if it is replaced by the undemocratic decree of coronating parliamentarian KoopaDaQuick. While I like all of my colleagues here, the way we are doing this could send us to a slippery slope of undemocratic appointments regionally and perhaps even nationally.

As a Leftist, I cannot accept such bigotry and tearing down of our democratic process like this, and I suggest the same for the rest of you all. I urge the rest of my fellow parliamentarians to not fall for passing this for the meme factor and seriously show our respect toward all those who reside in Fremont. I motion to table this bill.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 04:41:28 AM »

Classic ASV.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 07:41:01 AM »

You can't blame me for getting bored in the Fremont Parliament.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 10:32:15 AM »

I move for a vote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »

Seeing no objection, we proceed to a vote. Members will vote Aye, Nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.

Nay.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »

Nay
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 02:14:14 PM »

I'm abstaining from debating and voting on this due to potential conflict of interest. Tongue

Abstain
Roblox

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »

Nay
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »

Nay
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »

With four members against and one abstaining, the resolution fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies