What Election Ended the Solid South?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:16:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What Election Ended the Solid South?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What Election Ended the Solid South?  (Read 8956 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 12:46:05 AM »

I'd say 1968.  Every single southern state besides Texas went Republican or for Wallace.

Possibly, but I still think 1952 was when the Solid south started to break up.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 01:30:33 PM »

1948 had the first throes of death, but the "solid" south died in 1964.  If Wallace could've gotten the nomination in '72 he might've been able to bring it back, but it wasn't to be.  The idea of the solid south lingered until the final nail in its coffin in 1980.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 05:54:30 PM »

I don't know why more people aren't saying 1928. That was the first time since Reconstruction (50 years) that the GOP won more than 3 Southern states. The question says Solid South, and Maryland and Kentucky are just as Southern as Louisiana and Georgia, according to the Census Bureau which defines our regions.

If you think about it, 1928 was similar to 2004, a liberal Democrat from the Northeast whose ideas were opposed by a vast swath of rural America. It was a "values" election if there ever was one.

1964 only stands out because that was when the loss of Democratic control spread to the deep South states. My point is that 1928 was the first sign that the regional unity was not guranteed. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2005, 05:56:07 PM »

Your ignorance of American history is showing. Alfred Smith was more conservative than Herbert Hoover by a long shot.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 06:00:41 PM »

Your ignorance of American history is showing. Alfred Smith was more conservative than Herbert Hoover by a long shot.

I have a B.A. Minor in History, so I'm not "ignorant"

Al Smith became famously conservative during the first Roosevelt Administration (supposedly b/c they hated each other). When he ran he was still a big city Democrat, who happened to have some new ideas about agriculture and the government, if I remember correctly.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 06:04:28 PM »

"As governor, he became known nationally as a progressive who sought to make government more efficient and more effective in meeting social needs. Under his leadership, New York strengthened laws governing workmen's compensation, women's pensions, and child and women's labor, issues."
Sounds like a Democrat to me.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 06:07:57 PM »

Herbert Hoover did a lot more than that as president.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 06:11:50 PM »

I have a B.A. Minor in History, so I'm not "ignorant"

Al Smith became famously conservative during the first Roosevelt Administration (supposedly b/c they hated each other). When he ran he was still a big city Democrat, who happened to have some new ideas about agriculture and the government, if I remember correctly.

Um, Smith supported states' rights and limited federal power. His only "liberal" position was farm prices, and that was probably just to appeal to farmers.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 08:50:09 PM »

I don't know why we're off on a tangent about Hoover and Smith. My point was that 1928 was the beginning of the end for the Solid South. Al Smith's ideology has nothing to do with that.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 09:19:09 PM »

It wasn't a single election. It was over time. I'd have to say it was the 1910s/1920s when the Democrats began their move to the left and the Republican's to the right. The Populist Party largely effected this when the Democrats technically absorbed them. From this point onward, the Democrats lost steam in the south, and when Truman and Stevenson were our nominees, we were luck to win the south. But largely 1960, as it was Kennedy's perceived liberalism that cost him many southern electoral votes, and the Nixon/Goldwater wing of the party managed to appeal to the neo-segregationism that influenced many states. Nixon himself didn't support this, but he would do anything to become president.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2005, 12:53:02 AM »

It wasn't a single election. It was over time. I'd have to say it was the 1910s/1920s when the Democrats began their move to the left and the Republican's to the right. The Populist Party largely effected this when the Democrats technically absorbed them. From this point onward, the Democrats lost steam in the south, and when Truman and Stevenson were our nominees, we were luck to win the south. But largely 1960, as it was Kennedy's perceived liberalism that cost him many southern electoral votes, and the Nixon/Goldwater wing of the party managed to appeal to the neo-segregationism that influenced many states. Nixon himself didn't support this, but he would do anything to become president.

Goldwater didn't support segregation.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 12:56:55 AM »

I didn't say that. I said Nixon didn't support it. Neither did Goldwater, but he's not the point STRAWMAN!!!!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2005, 07:10:09 AM »

"As governor, he became known nationally as a progressive who sought to make government more efficient and more effective in meeting social needs. Under his leadership, New York strengthened laws governing workmen's compensation, women's pensions, and child and women's labor, issues."

Coolidge also did a lot of that stuff when he was governor of Massachusets.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2005, 06:00:48 PM »

He supported these reforms only at the state level. He opposed federal welfare programs.

I'd say that 1948 broke the Solid South. The defection of the Dixiecrats allowed the national Democrats to trend further left on civil rights, which eventually drove white southerners into the GOP.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2005, 09:21:07 PM »

1920. Yeah, really. Keep in mind that from 1880 to 1916 every former Confederate state voted solid Democrat. in 1920, Tennessee went for Harding.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2005, 10:26:34 AM »

1984 more than 1980.  Carter barely lost most Southern states.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2005, 02:13:17 PM »

I didn't say that. I said Nixon didn't support it. Neither did Goldwater, but he's not the point STRAWMAN!!!!

For it to have been a strawman, States would have had to build an argument around it.  He did no such thing.  All he did is clarify a point that was unclear in your post.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2005, 02:19:25 PM »

The Solid South: 1948
The Democratic South (if even by smaller margins): 1964
The Solid South at the State Level: 1994
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2005, 09:21:38 PM »

For it to have been a strawman, States would have had to build an argument around it.  He did no such thing.  All he did is clarify a point that was unclear in your post.
Did you ever hear of sarcasm, Treddi?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies