Was Rashida Tlaib vindicated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 03:23:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Was Rashida Tlaib vindicated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was Rashida Tlaib vindicated?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Was Rashida Tlaib vindicated?  (Read 1599 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2020, 06:38:08 PM »

Remember when everyone mocked her for saying "We're going to impeach the motherf[inks]er"?

Well....
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 06:50:14 PM »

No, she was still being an idiot.  There was no reason to impeach Trump at the time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »

Yes, of course. I have my issues with Tlaib but the blowback she got for this was ridiculous.

No, she was still being an idiot.  There was no reason to impeach Trump at the time.

lol, there have been scores of excellent reasons to impeach him from the first few months of his presidency alone
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 07:05:01 PM »

Yes. Tom Steyer too. Of course it is predictably ending up how it always going to, even with a compelling case for removal, but that's besides the point.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 11:26:28 PM »

There was no reason to impeach Trump when he was impeached.  There is no reason to remove him for office. 

There are certainly arguments that can be made to not vote for him in the upcoming election.  The Democratic Party would have been far better off to just let that happen, given that Trump isn't THAT strong in the polls, even with the strong economy.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 11:29:01 PM »

Yes, at least in the sense that she, Al Green, and Maxine Waters got what they wanted.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 11:30:48 PM »

Huh
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 11:34:08 PM »

At the time Tlaib made the comment.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 09:18:54 AM »

I think most of the blowback was from the expletive, and in that sense she hasn't really been vindicated. Probably should have left that part off.

But even if there weren't reasons to impeach him at the time (emoluments, race baiting, and general incompetence aside), it wasn't hard to divine that the Mueller report would likely produce multiple impeachable offenses, or that he would do something else entirely that was impeachable. So the only real question was whether Democrats would have the guts to impeach him. She guessed right.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »

No, the Republicans used it as the lynchpin of their "Dems have been looking for an excuse to impeach Trump from day one" talking point.

She played right into their hands and doesn't even care.  She's too dumb to understand the consequences of saying it.

Thank goodness there isn't a video.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »

More like Elizabeth Warren was vindicated. She was right without using the expletive.

And for those saying "well there was no justification at the time", wrong. The Mueller report provided plenty of evidence of obstruction of justice. If he had been impeached over those he probably would not have had the temerity to do the Ukraine thing.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 10:50:43 AM »

No, the Republicans used it as the lynchpin of their "Dems have been looking for an excuse to impeach Trump from day one" talking point.

She played right into their hands and doesn't even care.  She's too dumb to understand the consequences of saying it.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »

The main complaint I saw raised to that remark was the unnecessary obscenity. Her comment was rightfully condemned as crass and rude much in the same way as if Trump had referred to her as "that beyotch".

Also, in before "muh he iz a phucker"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »

Yes, of course. I have my issues with Tlaib but the blowback she got for this was ridiculous.

lol, there have been scores of excellent reasons to impeach him from the first few months of his presidency alone

But she used naughty language!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 01:24:10 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2020, 02:09:31 PM by Hijacking the Forum for Partisan Causes »

"I can excuse rape, corruption, and throwing kids in jail, but by God I draw the line at interfering with the supply of US military aid to Ukraine."

I misremembered when Tlaib made the comment and was thinking it was January of 2017.  Some of us don't compulsively obsess over every dumb thing someone has said years ago because we have lives, not that I expect you to know anything about that.  Of course, it was still dumb of her to say that b/c it played right into Republican talking points.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 05:02:10 PM »

I suppose technically. It doesn't matter. The Republican Party, led by Trump, is a criminal conspiracy that understands that democracy and accountability are existential threats to its hold on power.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 05:51:29 PM »

f**k yes
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 05:59:44 PM »

First day of the 2016 RNC speech by "pastor" Mark Burns:

"Our enemy is not other Republicans, but is Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party."

GOP response: Dems need to stop trying to oppose Trump and work with him. Talib needs to stop saying mean things
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 09:39:21 AM »

There was no reason to impeach Trump when he was impeached.  There is no reason to remove him for office. 

There are certainly arguments that can be made to not vote for him in the upcoming election.  The Democratic Party would have been far better off to just let that happen, given that Trump isn't THAT strong in the polls, even with the strong economy.

Your senator said what Trump did was impeachable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »

"I can excuse rape, corruption, and throwing kids in jail, but by God I draw the line at interfering with the supply of US military aid to Ukraine."

I misremembered when Tlaib made the comment and was thinking it was January of 2017.  Some of us don't compulsively obsess over every dumb thing someone has said years ago because we have lives, not that I expect you to know anything about that.  Of course, it was still dumb of her to say that b/c it played right into Republican talking points.
Tlaib wasn't even in Congress in January of 2017. Why would there be national news coverage of something a random Michigan State Rep said?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 12:19:09 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2020, 12:23:10 PM by Dems in Disarray »

Tlaib wasn't even in Congress in January of 2017. Why would there be national news coverage of something a random Michigan State Rep said?

Because I forgot when Tlaib was elected for a moment?  I mean, that’s pretty obvious from the post you quoted.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »

Because I forgot when Tlaib was elected for a moment?  I mean, that’s pretty obvious from the post you quoted.
I mean how on Earth can you do that? She wouldn't be in "The Squad" then as they're all freshmen and her seat was previously held by the most tenured member of the House who resigned over sexual harassment allegations that didn't blow up until 2017.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »

I misremembered when Tlaib made the comment and was thinking it was January of 2017.  Some of us don't compulsively obsess over every dumb thing someone has said years ago because we have lives, not that I expect you to know anything about that.  Of course, it was still dumb of her to say that b/c it played right into Republican talking points.

I mean how on Earth can you do that? She wouldn't be in "The Squad" then as they're all freshmen and her seat was previously held by the most tenured member of the House who resigned over sexual harassment allegations that didn't blow up until 2017.
People can forget things. It happens. Move on.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies