DFL replace Iron range Senate Minority Leader with Twin cities leader (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:50:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  DFL replace Iron range Senate Minority Leader with Twin cities leader (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DFL replace Iron range Senate Minority Leader with Twin cities leader  (Read 2128 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: February 02, 2020, 05:45:22 PM »

This was a dumb move that plays into Trump/R's hands re: rural areas being ignored.
The average voter does not know who the Senate Minority Leader is, lmao.

After Trump goes on about how Dems abandoned the Iron Range at a local campaign rally, many will.

I'm not for rural areas being ignored, but I doubt that Trump knows, much less cares, about DFL politics.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 12:42:35 AM »

This was a dumb move that plays into Trump/R's hands re: rural areas being ignored.
The average voter does not know who the Senate Minority Leader is, lmao.

After Trump goes on about how Dems abandoned the Iron Range at a local campaign rally, many will.

I'm not for rural areas being ignored, but I doubt that Trump knows, much less cares, about DFL politics.

Au contraire.

The Iron Range is full of historically Democratic union voters who are culturally conservative energy industry workers and miners who have been loyal, liberal Democrats for most of my life (and that includes during the McGovern debacle in 1972).  Trump is well aware that this move is another shift toward latte liberal suburban environmentalism at the expense of union workers in "dirty" industries that were the guts of the Democratic Party that I knew for most of my life, and was a party that I could generally support, even after registering Republican (for local political considerations) and even as the Democratic Party pushed its pro-life elected officials out of the party, one office at a time.

Today's Woke Dipstick Democrats are working hard to ensure that the 2020 Democratic Party nominee gets a lower portion of union voters than did George McGovern (whom the AFL-CIO did not endorse).  The latte liberals are now all Democrats, and the country is more socially liberal now than it was in 1972, and that's not ALL for the worse, but the Democratic Party has traded people who work at union  jobs for a living in exchange for socially liberal soccer moms and Woke Imbeciles.  That does make for a different Democratic Party, does it not?  I strongly suggest that this trade in constituencies has changed the Democratic Party by making it more elitist and less responsive to the people who actually do the work of our society.  If that's how they intend to rebuild the middle class, I suppose I'll learn to live with disappointment.

I agree with the general spirit of this, but only MN political insiders and Atlas neckbeards know or care about who leads the DFL, is my point.  If Democrats are going after urban and suburban voters at the expense of rural, this is partly because that's where more of the voters are.  Rural communities are sadly in decline and neither party has much to offer them.  The Republicans take their votes for granted much in the same way centrist Democrats take African Americans for granted.

A few months ago I transcribed a bipartisan political conference for creating job opportunities in rural Iowa, and even there the solution they proposed wasn't to bring back dangerous mining jobs which the economy will no longer support, but to invest in STEM (particularly tech) fields and businesses.  Blue-collar union jobs are going to be harder to create and sustain in the age of automation, as are most jobs, and rural communities are being affected the most.  With fewer union jobs being available, Democrats are at an inherent disadvantage.  De-wokeifying the party probably wouldn't help them regain the ground they've lost in these areas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies