DFL replace Iron range Senate Minority Leader with Twin cities leader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:42:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  DFL replace Iron range Senate Minority Leader with Twin cities leader
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DFL replace Iron range Senate Minority Leader with Twin cities leader  (Read 2071 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:44:44 PM »
« edited: February 01, 2020, 05:48:03 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+bakk&oq=tom+bakk&aqs=chrome..69i57.1022j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 06:10:36 PM »

This was a dumb move that plays into Trump/R's hands re: rural areas being ignored.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 06:32:10 PM »

This was a dumb move that plays into Trump/R's hands re: rural areas being ignored.
The average voter does not know who the Senate Minority Leader is, lmao.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 07:03:29 PM »

Too bad, now they Kent win the Senate Bakk anymore.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 07:04:04 PM »

After Trump goes on about how Dems abandoned the Iron Range at a local campaign rally, many will.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 04:35:59 PM »

Very dumb move
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 05:22:52 PM »

Just dumb
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 05:33:17 PM »

Susan Kent only won re-election by less than a percent (399) votes in 2016, her seat is one of the DFL's most marginal. She could definitely be defeated.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 05:45:22 PM »

After Trump goes on about how Dems abandoned the Iron Range at a local campaign rally, many will.

I'm not for rural areas being ignored, but I doubt that Trump knows, much less cares, about DFL politics.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 11:30:52 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2020, 11:39:06 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

I kind of understand why, in the sense that the main strength of the Minnesota Democratic Farmer-Labor Party now lies in the cities and suburbs, and this change of leadership is simply reflecting where most of their voters are.

We should face reality -Democrats are on borrowed time on the Iron Range.  Sooner or later, like MN-07 at the federal level, we are going to lose those seats forever once the current Democratic incumbents retire or are beaten by Republicans.

Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 11:46:57 PM »

I'm not for rural areas being ignored, but I doubt that Trump knows, much less cares, about DFL politics.

Au contraire.

The Iron Range is full of historically Democratic union voters who are culturally conservative energy industry workers and miners who have been loyal, liberal Democrats for most of my life (and that includes during the McGovern debacle in 1972).  Trump is well aware that this move is another shift toward latte liberal suburban environmentalism at the expense of union workers in "dirty" industries that were the guts of the Democratic Party that I knew for most of my life, and was a party that I could generally support, even after registering Republican (for local political considerations) and even as the Democratic Party pushed its pro-life elected officials out of the party, one office at a time.

Today's Woke Dipstick Democrats are working hard to ensure that the 2020 Democratic Party nominee gets a lower portion of union voters than did George McGovern (whom the AFL-CIO did not endorse).  The latte liberals are now all Democrats, and the country is more socially liberal now than it was in 1972, and that's not ALL for the worse, but the Democratic Party has traded people who work at union  jobs for a living in exchange for socially liberal soccer moms and Woke Imbeciles.  That does make for a different Democratic Party, does it not?  I strongly suggest that this trade in constituencies has changed the Democratic Party by making it more elitist and less responsive to the people who actually do the work of our society.  If that's how they intend to rebuild the middle class, I suppose I'll learn to live with disappointment.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 11:47:31 PM »

1-No one really cares about this except legislative insider types.
2-Trump doesn't know about this either and if he does a campaign rally here raving about that he'd be seen as just raving about things no one really finds engaging.
3-Bakk's district is heavily based around Duluth suburbs and the rural parts of NE Minnesota Hillary won, (Lake and Cook counties.) It even narrowly voted for Hillary as a whole.
4-Tina Smith and Tim Walz did roughly equal in both Bakk and Kent's seats.
5-I really hope the MN GOP makes this their #1 campaign issue in 2020, it's vaguely reminiscent of 2018's "rave constantly about Keith Ellison and claim every statewide Democratic candidate is him."
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 12:40:42 AM »

1-No one really cares about this except legislative insider types.
2-Trump doesn't know about this either and if he does a campaign rally here raving about that he'd be seen as just raving about things no one really finds engaging.
3-Bakk's district is heavily based around Duluth suburbs and the rural parts of NE Minnesota Hillary won, (Lake and Cook counties.) It even narrowly voted for Hillary as a whole.
4-Tina Smith and Tim Walz did roughly equal in both Bakk and Kent's seats.
5-I really hope the MN GOP makes this their #1 campaign issue in 2020, it's vaguely reminiscent of 2018's "rave constantly about Keith Ellison and claim every statewide Democratic candidate is him."

Exactly!

And  noting your last point I must ask... can the GOP win anything statewide in Minnesota, besides possibly a Presidential contest, if even Keith Ellison won?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 12:42:35 AM »

Au contraire.

The Iron Range is full of historically Democratic union voters who are culturally conservative energy industry workers and miners who have been loyal, liberal Democrats for most of my life (and that includes during the McGovern debacle in 1972).  Trump is well aware that this move is another shift toward latte liberal suburban environmentalism at the expense of union workers in "dirty" industries that were the guts of the Democratic Party that I knew for most of my life, and was a party that I could generally support, even after registering Republican (for local political considerations) and even as the Democratic Party pushed its pro-life elected officials out of the party, one office at a time.

Today's Woke Dipstick Democrats are working hard to ensure that the 2020 Democratic Party nominee gets a lower portion of union voters than did George McGovern (whom the AFL-CIO did not endorse).  The latte liberals are now all Democrats, and the country is more socially liberal now than it was in 1972, and that's not ALL for the worse, but the Democratic Party has traded people who work at union  jobs for a living in exchange for socially liberal soccer moms and Woke Imbeciles.  That does make for a different Democratic Party, does it not?  I strongly suggest that this trade in constituencies has changed the Democratic Party by making it more elitist and less responsive to the people who actually do the work of our society.  If that's how they intend to rebuild the middle class, I suppose I'll learn to live with disappointment.

I agree with the general spirit of this, but only MN political insiders and Atlas neckbeards know or care about who leads the DFL, is my point.  If Democrats are going after urban and suburban voters at the expense of rural, this is partly because that's where more of the voters are.  Rural communities are sadly in decline and neither party has much to offer them.  The Republicans take their votes for granted much in the same way centrist Democrats take African Americans for granted.

A few months ago I transcribed a bipartisan political conference for creating job opportunities in rural Iowa, and even there the solution they proposed wasn't to bring back dangerous mining jobs which the economy will no longer support, but to invest in STEM (particularly tech) fields and businesses.  Blue-collar union jobs are going to be harder to create and sustain in the age of automation, as are most jobs, and rural communities are being affected the most.  With fewer union jobs being available, Democrats are at an inherent disadvantage.  De-wokeifying the party probably wouldn't help them regain the ground they've lost in these areas.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 01:14:38 AM »

The DFL could lose every Iron Range seat Trump carried they hold (note that most weren't close even in 2016) and still hold a healthy majority in the State House. There's not really a lot. And the population trends are not good for the GOP at all. One thing that'll be clear after the 2020 census is that now even Minneapolis and St. Paul are gaining population after decades of decline and grew faster than the state. Almost all Obama-Trump areas meanwhile lost population and the previously booming exurbs have significantly slowed. The base map even before any gerrymandering is going to suck for them. And in terms of winning statewide it's clear if it didn't even work in 2016 it's not going to work after 4+ years of population shifts.

If the MN GOP wants to double down on rural strength I'm fine with that, it's not going to be a winning strategy.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 07:44:29 AM »

Its important to note that you could easily frame this change in leadership as "MNDFL chooses woman to lead state senate caucus over man".

I personally dont think the fact that Bakk is from the Iron Range and that Kent is from the Twin Cities to be the key detail, especially since she holds a marginal while the guy holds a safe seat and was a long time leader. Based on reports from fellow caucus members, some just wanted a new fresh face, others wanted to vote in a female caucus leader, and some were at odds with his stance on issues such as gun control. Of course, geographic influence likely played a role here, but its not the main reason for his ousting.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »

The main reasons for Bakk being ousted is his positions on gun control and especially environmental issues, due to his opposition to many mining regulations. Obviously his region plays a role in those things but he wasn't ousted just based on being in the "wrong" area, or for being a man, which honestly would be even worse than if it was for his region alone.

And probably the decisive factor was him just being around too long.
SInNYC

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »

I vote for dumb move by the DFL. Lake county went from 31 points in 2012 to 2 points for Hillary, and St. Louis County (a big one) went from 30 to 12. Add to this national democrats triaged the historically solid D district in 2018 and they still voted R by only 5 points. This is truly a case of 'the party left me, I didnt leave the party' (unlike many other cases where people claim so).
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »

The main reasons for Bakk being ousted is his positions on gun control and especially environmental issues, due to his opposition to many mining regulations. Obviously his region plays a role in those things but he wasn't ousted just based on being in the "wrong" area, or for being a man, which honestly would be even worse than if it was for his region alone.

I'm confident that Minnesota will swing to Trump this year.  Minnesota is finally a real swing state.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »

I'm confident that Minnesota will swing to Trump this year.  Minnesota is finally a real swing state.
https://www.minnpost.com/national/2019/12/after-strong-showing-in-2018-democrats-may-be-heading-into-2020-with-an-advantage-in-suburban-minnesota
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies