2020 New Zealand general election & referendums (17 October) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:44:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 New Zealand general election & referendums (17 October) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 New Zealand general election & referendums (17 October)  (Read 42011 times)
Pulaski

« on: April 26, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »

The spark was Simon Bridges' response to the government extending the level 4 lockdown through the weekend, basically he said the government "hasn't done the groundwork" on issues such as contact tracing and New Zealand's lockdown is too strict-he claims Australia has gotten similar health outcomes with a more relaxed lockdown but the economic cost is less there (honestly it's probably too early to tell and New Zealand's strategy of elimination seems slightly different from Australia's strategy of suppression).

He's not wrong, really; media here have been saying similar things - Australia seems to have achieved very similar results with slightly less restrictive measures. The strategy may be different, but that's a minor concern as far as I'm concerned; neither country is likely to eradicate the virus any time soon.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the cannabis referendum - I was planning on looking into a trip to NZ next year to celebrate. Obviously that may not happen now.
Pulaski

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 05:41:03 AM »

Well, a fantastic night for Labour and a well-deserved victory. Glad to see Winston Peters thrown out. Hope this enforces the message with state and federal leaders here across the ditch: big electoral gains to be had from sound, careful leadership on Covid, not endless buck-passing.

If the cannabis referendum passes, it becomes hard to justify not moving to New Zealand once my partner and I are set up to do so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies