The new film where woman falls in love with & makes love to carnival ride
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:53:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The new film where woman falls in love with & makes love to carnival ride
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The new film where woman falls in love with & makes love to carnival ride  (Read 833 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2020, 01:27:55 AM »
« edited: February 13, 2021, 04:19:26 AM by Come For AOC, Stay For Policy »

JUMBO (2020 film)
IMDB
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6818118/
Rotten Tomatoes
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jumbo_2020

This film just debuted at the Sundance Film Festival and stars Noemie Merlant - who you might know from the 2019 movie "Portrait Of A Lady On Fire" - falling in love with, having erotic fantasies about and having sex with an amusement park ride.

Apparently there are a bunch of different rides known as "tilt o whirls", and I can't find a picture of exactly which type of ride it is, but THIS is fairly close to the type of "tilt-a-whirl" in the movie. A bit of research has shown me that there aren't clearly defined names for certain types of rides.

What are your thoughts? Please share and discuss.

P S
I took this from a movie review online to share with the class (mild spoilers):
On its surface, however, this pleasantly delirious feature debut tells the fable-like story of Jeanne, a young loner (“Portrait of a Lady on Fire” breakout Noémie Merlant) who develops a deep psychosexual attraction to the tilt-a-whirl ride at the rundown Belgian amusement park where she works. So much that she orgasms at the thought of jet-black oil jizzing out of its metal parts and enveloping her nude body like the symbiote from “Venom.”

SOURCE
https://m.imdb.com/news/ni62760691?ref_=m_tt_nwr_3

UPDATE (Feb 2021)

Trailer is out and release dates revealed!

In theaters February 19 2021
On streaming March 16 2021
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:50 AM »

Hard pass
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 02:26:13 AM »

They warned us that this sort of thing would happen when we legalized gay marriage, but did we listen? No.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »

Is it an A24 film, or a French production? If it's either of those, it becomes much more believable.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 08:27:56 PM »

Is it an A24 film, or a French production? If it's either of those, it becomes much more believable.
Belgian director, French star, French-sounding names for the producers , production companies, supportong cast. I believe the film takes place in Belgium. Combined with the following Wikipedia quote, I'm guessing it's a French film:

WIKIPEDIA ---> BELGIUM

Belgium is home to two main linguistic groups or communities: the Dutch-speaking Flemish Community, which constitutes about 60 percent of the population, and the French-speaking Community, which comprises about 40 percent of all Belgians.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 12:54:38 AM »

Watch this end up winning Best Picture at next year's Oscars like The Shape of Water did. XD

Also, when casually glancing over the topic's title, I thought, "Wow, they actually made a film adaptation for this?": https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8946239-twisted.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 03:24:00 AM »

shocked that this wasn't a Tender Branson thread
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 01:48:20 AM »

Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 01:50:11 AM »

Excuse me, WHAT?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »

JUMBO (2020 film)
IMDB
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6818118/
Rotten Tomatoes
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jumbo_2020

This film just debuted at the Sundance Film Festival and stars Noemie Merlant - who you might know from the 2019 movie "Portrait Of A Lady On Fire" - falling in love with, having erotic fantasies about and having sex with an amusement park ride. THIS is what a tilt-a-whirl looks like if anybody wasn't 100% sure or couldn't remember.

What are your thoughts? Please share and discuss.

P S
I took this from a movie review online to share with the class (mild spoilers):
On its surface, however, this pleasantly delirious feature debut tells the fable-like story of Jeanne, a young loner (“Portrait of a Lady on Fire” breakout Noémie Merlant) who develops a deep psychosexual attraction to the tilt-a-whirl ride at the rundown Belgian amusement park where she works. So much that she orgasms at the thought of jet-black oil jizzing out of its metal parts and enveloping her nude body like the symbiote from “Venom.”

SOURCE
https://m.imdb.com/news/ni62760691?ref_=m_tt_nwr_3

UPDATE (Feb 2021)

Your link to the Tilt-a-Whirl is correct, but that's not the ride featured in the trailer. Apparently the reviewer you quoted didn't know or couldn't see the dramatic differences between the two rides.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 12:33:35 PM »

Your link to the Tilt-a-Whirl is correct, but that's not the ride featured in the trailer. Apparently the reviewer you quoted didn't know or couldn't see the dramatic differences between the two rides.
Thanks. Apparently the world of theme park and carnival rides hasn't set clearly defined names and labels for different types of rides, so we all get to be unecessarily confused and have trouble communicating about them. "Tilt a whirl" in a modern context is now apparently a very non-specific and unhelpful term.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 12:46:03 PM »

Thanks. Apparently the world of theme park and carnival rides hasn't set clearly defined names and labels for different types of rides, so we all get to be unecessarily confused and have trouble communicating about them. "Tilt a whirl" in a modern context is now apparently a very non-specific and unhelpful term.

Almost all the big amusement park rides have specific brand names. Park operators would probably get into trouble from the manufacturer by advertising a ride by the wrong name. I had never heard Tilt-a-Whirl used to mean anything other than the specific ride with spinning cars on the track surface. Specifically Tilt-a-Whirls never take the rider into the air as Jumbo does. Is this a problem with translation from French?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 12:54:22 PM »

Almost all the big amusement park rides have specific brand names. Park operators would probably get into trouble from the manufacturer by advertising a ride by the wrong name. I had never heard Tilt-a-Whirl used to mean anything other than the specific ride with spinning cars on the track surface. Specifically Tilt-a-Whirls never take the rider into the air as Jumbo does. Is this a problem with translation from French?
It's a problem with the film makers not showing the specific brand name in the movie trailer or promotional materials, as well as people on the internet having watched the trailer - or having watched the film at the Sundance Film Festival last year - not being able to correctly identify the type of ride it is for others.

I dove into Wikipedia briefly and wasn't able to find much, other than the fact that those in the industry usually call things by their proper name and the general public tends to call things whatever they want to call them.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 02:43:33 PM »

First there was the “woman in love with fish-man” movie and now this.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 04:30:06 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2021, 04:41:33 PM by muon2 »

It's a problem with the film makers not showing the specific brand name in the movie trailer or promotional materials, as well as people on the internet having watched the trailer - or having watched the film at the Sundance Film Festival last year - not being able to correctly identify the type of ride it is for others.

I dove into Wikipedia briefly and wasn't able to find much, other than the fact that those in the industry usually call things by their proper name and the general public tends to call things whatever they want to call them.

FWIW I took a look at the trivia in IMDB. They mention that Jumbo's last name is Schneider though it isn't used in the film. My guess is that could be from the French company Schneider Electric that makes motors and other electrical equipment used in rides.

Edit - I also found that the term Tilt-a-Whirl was used in the Sundance program, and critics copied the usage from there. I don't know who writes the program text, but they clearly don't know their rides. And I don't know what Larson Intl, which owns the trademark, thinks about its usage in the program.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »

I'm sorry, WHAT
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length