2020 Singapore general election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:44:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 Singapore general election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2020 Singapore general election  (Read 3254 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »

Sengkang GRC is fairly youth heavy so the big youth surge that was suppose to hit PAP back in 2015 finally came out in 2020.
The one Singaporean Leftist I know wrote a lot about Sengkang GRC. Seens to be where the WP put their young studs, including Raeesah Khan and Jamus Lin.
Singaporean lefists are a mess, they are too plugged into the western cultural wars to build a base here.
That is radically different from what I’m hearing in that they are effective in keeping it to the downlow and focusing on Bread and Butter issues.
The WP has leftists in it, MP Rasseah Khaninfamously tweeted that everything you need to know about her politics is that she's read "every book about Angela Davis "and  MP Jamus Lim it's latest rock-star puts his pronouns in his Twitter bio but it's not a leftist party. It's a grass-root generic anti-incumbent party with no solid ideological foundation lacking a coherent ideology besides providing a democratic check on the PAP.

The WP has had electoral successes but leftists have failed to translate that into any influence on discourse.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2020, 08:34:15 AM »

Sengkang GRC is fairly youth heavy so the big youth surge that was suppose to hit PAP back in 2015 finally came out in 2020.
The one Singaporean Leftist I know wrote a lot about Sengkang GRC. Seens to be where the WP put their young studs, including Raeesah Khan and Jamus Lin.
Singaporean lefists are a mess, they are too plugged into the western cultural wars to build a base here.
That is radically different from what I’m hearing in that they are effective in keeping it to the downlow and focusing on Bread and Butter issues.
The WP has leftists in it, MP Rasseah Khaninfamously tweeted that everything you need to know about her politics is that she's read "every book about Angela Davis "and  MP Jamus Lim it's latest rock-star puts his pronouns in his Twitter bio but it's not a leftist party. It's a grass-root generic anti-incumbent party with no solid ideological foundation lacking a coherent ideology besides providing a democratic check on the PAP.

The WP has had electoral successes but leftists have failed to translate that into any influence on discourse.
Well what is the official, dominant discourse doesn’t translate to the spoken or unspoken words and feelings on the Street. The WP, and opposition as a whole, have gained seats and voter support since last election due to years of development and the PAP getting historic dents from being in charge.

Anyway, I hardly see how stuff like reading Angela Davis or having pronouns in ones Twitter Bio makes one “woke” or whatever, or at least noticeable to the public in Singapore who aren’t saturated in this stuff.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2020, 09:01:29 AM »

Or they just leave...
But "culture wars" takes on a different meaning when queer sex is still illegal (not to mention the racism practiced by the Chinese majority...)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »

The WP has leftists in it, MP Rasseah Khaninfamously tweeted that everything you need to know about her politics is that she's read "every book about Angela Davis "and  MP Jamus Lim it's latest rock-star puts his pronouns in his Twitter bio but it's not a leftist party. It's a grass-root generic anti-incumbent party with no solid ideological foundation lacking a coherent ideology besides providing a democratic check on the PAP.

Well what is the official, dominant discourse doesn’t translate to the spoken or unspoken words and feelings on the Street. The WP, and opposition as a whole, have gained seats and voter support since last election due to years of development and the PAP getting historic dents from being in charge.

Anyway, I hardly see how stuff like reading Angela Davis or having pronouns in ones Twitter Bio makes one “woke” or whatever, or at least noticeable to the public in Singapore who aren’t saturated in this stuff.
Because they are perceived as a pragmatist centrist party that offers a more connected grass-root version of the PAP without representing a structural change to the system. The election also took place with memories of covid-19 and the governments inital mismanagment of the problem in dormitories new.

Their current fight is with the government over a minimum wage, functionally I think center-left singaporeans and liberals probably benefit most from the WP rather than actual leftists.
Or they just leave...
But "culture wars" takes on a different meaning when queer sex is still illegal (not to mention the racism practiced by the Chinese majority...)
I'm a Singaporean who's a technically a first-generation immigrant being born in India. The problem with Singaporean leftists is that they have retreated into their own inner cocoons rather than trying to convince society of the merit of their positions(and at heart I do agree with their points). It's also important to understand that Singaporean racism is far more sublt than those of it's surrounding countries which often legally impose majoartiran dominance.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »

Well while the WP is centre-left and a de facto multi-class, mild socDem party in orientation, you are missing key details. Firstly, the party shifts the discussion and makes leftism in general not a bad thing by dispelling myths on Left-wing anything. Secondly, while it is a degenerated workers party, it’s still the best thing Singapore has considering that key texts and organizations emitting class-consciousness is banned.

Even for a country where homosexuality is illegal, this stuff isn’t anything in actuality lol. Politically I suppose.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies