FT 14.17 – Regional Linguistic Freedom Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:02:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 14.17 – Regional Linguistic Freedom Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 14.17 – Regional Linguistic Freedom Act (Debating)  (Read 464 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »
« edited: January 27, 2020, 10:23:43 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN ACT
to ensure the linguistic freedoms of Frémont and her citizens

Section 1 (Title and Definitions)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Regional Linguistic Freedom Act."
ii. A “jurisdiction” refers to any state, city, or municipality within the region of Frémont.

Section 2 (Ballot Language Rights)
i. The person responsible for publishing the official ballot must create a ballot written in English, although they are permitted to publish additional ballots for public use in other languages.
ii. If a voter’s ballot is written in a language other than English, the person responsible for counting the votes in the election must count their vote to be just as valid as if the ballot was written in English.
iii. If the section of the ballot in question calls for the voter to vote from a pool of one or more candidates, the names of each candidate must be written out using Latin characters, Arabic numerals, and/or any other characters present within the candidates’ names.
iv. To make tallying the votes easier for the vote counter, if a question on a non-English ballot is a yes or no question, the “yes” option must be placed first, the “no” option placed second, and the “abstain” option placed third.
v. Unless the voter mentions what their response translates to in English, they are not permitted to omit any of the three options listed above in subsection (iv).

Section 3 (Access to Government Services)
i. The Government of Frémont is committed to ensuring that
   a. All citizens of Frémont, without regard to their first language learned, have equal opportunities to obtain basic needs and services provided by their government;
    b. Those who don’t speak English have the same health access, education rights, and access to utilities as English-speakers; and
    c. Obtaining these basic needs and services shall be as painless and straightforward to those who cannot speak English as it can possibly be.

ii. In carrying out the commitment of the Government of Frémont under subsection (i), the region’s government shall mandate that every jurisdiction within the region provide its services in languages whose speakers consist of more than 1% of the population.
   a. These “services” are including, but not limited to, all services regarding healthcare, education, law enforcement, and utilities.
    b. If a jurisdiction’s population is less than 20,000 as of the latest census, it is exempt from subsection (ii).
    c. The number of people who speak each language can be determined either by an official census done by the jurisdiction, or by judging of a sample size consisting of at least 10% of the jurisdiction’s population.
    d. Acknowledging that a wide amount of Frémont is reliant on its usage, all of the services listed in subsection (ii) must be provided in English alongside the other languages.
Sponsor: Koopa D. Quick, MFP

The member from Iowa has the floor.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 06:14:03 PM »

Thank you, Mr. First Minister.

This bill is essentially split into two parts, regarding ballot validity and access to public services, respectively. However, these two sections are both written to insure that the language rights of Frémonters are not infringed.

§2 regards the ability of our commonwealth's people to vote in their preferred language, as well as the vote counter's ability to interpret the choices made. Frémont is a very diverse region, and it is highlighted by the tongues spoken across the region. Not all people in our region are proficient in English. This is an indisputable fact. Seeing as the election process is done in the name of the people's voices, we shouldn't shut out their voices just because they aren't written in the Queen's English. Should we expect all of our first-generation Frémonters to cast ballots in languages they can't speak? What about the native peoples of our region who arrived here before any anglophone did? Henceforth, this act strives to strike a balance between allowing as many people to participate in our elections as possible, and also making the process a whole lot easier for the person counting the votes. After all, should we really expect Truman to be able to proficiently read English, Irish, French, Navajo, Mandarin Chinese, and every other language spoken in our commonwealth? I think that this is the best way to work with this.

§3 regards the ability for non-English speakers to have the same right to local services as you and me. In subsection (i), I have written a commitment set out by our government that is inspired by Canada's Official Languages Act , s 39(1). The commitment set out by our government ensures that people who speak a minority language in Frémont will have the same access to government institutions as any English speaker. Subsection (ii) of this bill regards what jurisdictions must provide certain languages in what language.

The Official Language Amendment of 2020 was originally going to be included in this bill, but it was made into a separate amendment due to purposes regarding the legality of its inclusion.

I hope that my fellow parliamentarians understand my goals of promoting the freedoms of ALL of our citizens. I yield my time.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 06:00:37 PM »

I know Koopa really wants more confrontation in parliament, but I can't think of a reason to oppose this bill. Tongue
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 06:20:04 PM »

I know Koopa really wants more confrontation in parliament, but I can't think of a reason to oppose this bill. Tongue

If Koopa really wants confrontation I'm happy to provide it. The supermajority makes it entirely pointless, but if it's wanted then it can be provided.
Roblox

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 06:58:32 PM »

rabble rabble rabble aggggghh.

There, I have brought strong intellectual debate to parliament!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 07:33:01 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2020, 07:39:46 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

New idea to create confrontation in Parliament. We/I the opposition will hire an orchestra to sit in the public gallery for all sittings. Don't ask how we can afford this or what's the point of it. We'll figure out those little details later.
Also to make it worse we're going to put the brass and percussion at the very front. Just to make it clear that the Orchestra is trying to torture you.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 07:49:44 AM »

New idea to create confrontation in Parliament. We/I the opposition will hire an orchestra to sit in the public gallery for all sittings. Don't ask how we can afford this or what's the point of it. We'll figure out those little details later.
Also to make it worse we're going to put the brass and percussion at the very front. Just to make it clear that the Orchestra is trying to torture you.

Do you take requests? I really wanna hear Nancy Had a Little Lamb, with extra slide whistle.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 08:08:47 AM »

Do you take requests? I really wanna hear Nancy Had a Little Lamb, with extra slide whistle.

We have an entire year of children who desperately don't want to play the recorder booked for next week. I'm sure they can satisfy that demand.
Roblox

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »

motion for a final vote.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 08:30:31 PM »

(Brief) Objection

Before we move to a final vote, I would just like to know if the first minister would be willing to include the parts of this act about voting rights in future Frémont ballots.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 11:34:52 PM »

(Brief) Objection

Before we move to a final vote, I would just like to know if the first minister would be willing to include the parts of this act about voting rights in future Frémont ballots.
Certainly, though someone may need to remind me. Smiley
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:58:49 PM »

(Brief) Objection

Certainly, though someone may need to remind me. Smiley

Great.

I recall my objection. Motioning to a final vote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 09:18:23 PM »

Seeing no objection, we proceed to a vote. Members will vote Aye, Nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.

Aye!
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 09:25:29 PM »

Aye
Roblox

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 07:45:15 PM »

Aye
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »

Aye (shocking vote from the koop here)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »

AN ACT
to ensure the linguistic freedoms of Frémont and her citizens

Section 1 (Title and Definitions)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Regional Linguistic Freedom Act."
ii. A “jurisdiction” refers to any state, city, or municipality within the region of Frémont.

Section 2 (Ballot Language Rights)
i. The person responsible for publishing the official ballot must create a ballot written in English, although they are permitted to publish additional ballots for public use in other languages.
ii. If a voter’s ballot is written in a language other than English, the person responsible for counting the votes in the election must count their vote to be just as valid as if the ballot was written in English.
iii. If the section of the ballot in question calls for the voter to vote from a pool of one or more candidates, the names of each candidate must be written out using Latin characters, Arabic numerals, and/or any other characters present within the candidates’ names.
iv. To make tallying the votes easier for the vote counter, if a question on a non-English ballot is a yes or no question, the “yes” option must be placed first, the “no” option placed second, and the “abstain” option placed third.
v. Unless the voter mentions what their response translates to in English, they are not permitted to omit any of the three options listed above in subsection (iv).

Section 3 (Access to Government Services)
i. The Government of Frémont is committed to ensuring that
   a. All citizens of Frémont, without regard to their first language learned, have equal opportunities to obtain basic needs and services provided by their government;
    b. Those who don’t speak English have the same health access, education rights, and access to utilities as English-speakers; and
    c. Obtaining these basic needs and services shall be as painless and straightforward to those who cannot speak English as it can possibly be.

ii. In carrying out the commitment of the Government of Frémont under subsection (i), the region’s government shall mandate that every jurisdiction within the region provide its services in languages whose speakers consist of more than 1% of the population.
   a. These “services” are including, but not limited to, all services regarding healthcare, education, law enforcement, and utilities.
    b. If a jurisdiction’s population is less than 20,000 as of the latest census, it is exempt from subsection (ii).
    c. The number of people who speak each language can be determined either by an official census done by the jurisdiction, or by judging of a sample size consisting of at least 10% of the jurisdiction’s population.
    d. Acknowledging that a wide amount of Frémont is reliant on its usage, all of the services listed in subsection (ii) must be provided in English alongside the other languages.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies