Jordan parliament passes draft law to ban gas imports from Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:12:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Jordan parliament passes draft law to ban gas imports from Israel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jordan parliament passes draft law to ban gas imports from Israel  (Read 955 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2020, 03:01:28 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-jordan-israel-gas/jordan-parliament-passes-draft-law-to-ban-gas-imports-from-israel-idUSKBN1ZI0H2
Jordan’s parliament on Sunday approved a draft law to ban imports of Israeli gas to the country just days after they started under a multibillion-dollar deal struck in 2016 which is opposed by much of the population.

The motion was passed unanimously by Jordan’s 130 lawmakers and will be referred to the cabinet to be made law, although legal hurdles may prevent it coming into force.
Well good that the people’s voice was finally heard after being ignored by the King.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 04:58:56 PM »

If most of the people don't want to buy Israeli gas that's fine, don't buy it, but why must they make sure the minority can't?  This will hurt purchasers of gas in Jordan much more than it will hurt Israeli producers of gas.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »

If most of the people don't want to buy Israeli gas that's fine, don't buy it, but why must they make sure the minority can't?  This will hurt purchasers of gas in Jordan much more than it will hurt Israeli producers of gas.
Because the minority let them ban it. From the article, it’s kind of implied that the king is pressuring the Israelis not to do anything extreme. Same goes for most things allowed to get passed by the Parliament, it’s all calculated and approved by the Hashemites lest a parliamentary dissolution happens.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 12:02:28 PM »

Worst “ally” ever.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:05 AM »

I get it, I do not mind BDS movements and such, but I would not support or vote for it. Israel has a lot to offer the world in terms of tech and the economy, and I’m not willing to toss that out for the Palestinians or whatever just because they are mostly muslim (also they are arabs so not helping their case with me).
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »

I get it, I do not mind BDS movements and such, but I would not support or vote for it. Israel has a lot to offer the world in terms of tech and the economy, and I’m not willing to toss that out for the Palestinians or whatever just because they are mostly muslim (also they are arabs so not helping their case with me).
Openly admitting to hating Arabs, huh?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:26:14 PM »

We need to do something about the anti-Semites on this forum.  Its so out of control they’re now openly cheering it.

Hello???
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 12:51:52 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 07:44:35 PM »

Either unite with your fellow brethren in the Global South or perish under the boots of the core powers. Behaving like a derrière won’t get you far my man.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »

Either unite with your fellow brethren in the Global South or perish under the boots of the core powers. Behaving like a derrière won’t get you far my man.

As soon as they stop viewing and sometimes even treating half of my family as inferior crap, I'm aight.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »

As soon as they stop viewing and sometimes even treating half of my family as inferior crap, I'm aight.
Dude, are you seriously going to view an entire group of people as bad because some people of that same ethnicity was mean to your parents? You understand how stupid that sounds, especially basing your political opinions on some rude gents?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »

Dude, are you seriously going to view an entire group of people as bad because some people of that same ethnicity was mean to your parents? You understand how stupid that sounds, especially basing your political opinions on some rude gents?

Bad is a very strong word. And it’s broader than that, I won’t get too deep into the details since it’s well known, but suffice to say they systematically treat the ethnicity and neighboring ethnicities of one of my parent’s side like crap, especially when it comes to cultural differences within Islam as well as foreign laborer treatment.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 09:05:57 PM »

Bad is a very strong word. And it’s broader than that, I won’t get too deep into the details since it’s well known, but suffice to say they systematically treat the ethnicity and neighboring ethnicities of one of my parent’s side like crap, especially when it comes to cultural differences within Islam as well as foreign laborer treatment.
Dude, I don’t know your situation, but it isn’t the Palestinians that utilize that labor. So get over the cultural spats and know the true people you should be delegating that negative energy too.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 10:16:00 AM »

This comments in this thread are beyond sad going from Marxist PSOL to anti Arab Bagel is just hilarious
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 02:21:17 PM »

The global BDS movement knows that Israel becoming an energy titan is basically the end of attempts to isolate it. No wonder they're acting up now.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 03:03:36 PM »

The global BDS movement knows that Israel becoming an energy titan is basically the end of attempts to isolate it. No wonder they're acting up now.
Huh?? how would that happen?Huh?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 04:11:28 PM »

Their growing energy production and natural gas mining in their coastal waters. Surveys indicate they have a game-changing resource down there, which is why Lebanon was briefly trying to make a move to claim those waters.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 01:20:29 AM »

Their growing energy production and natural gas mining in their coastal waters. Surveys indicate they have a game-changing resource down there, which is why Lebanon was briefly trying to make a move to claim those waters.

If anything, Lebanon was at most trying to gain a bargaining chip in the Shebaa Farms dispute.

That said, given Israel's repeated use of economic pressure on the Palestinians, I can certainly understand wariness in any of its neighbors becoming economically entwined with Israel until there is a complete peace deal in the region.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »

Lol didn't the clowns end up with nothing in the end?
BP🌹
BP1202

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 06:54:45 PM »

If anything, Lebanon was at most trying to gain a bargaining chip in the Shebaa Farms dispute.
Wouldn't control of natural gas reserves be much more valuable than that sliver of relatively undeveloped land?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies