2008 after 2 terms of Al Gore (no crash)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:01:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 after 2 terms of Al Gore (no crash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 after 2 terms of Al Gore (no crash)  (Read 771 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2020, 10:38:19 AM »

How would 2008 have looked like after 2 terms of Al Gore as prez? By election day, the economy is still going as it did in IRL 2007. There was Iraq War, but Afghanistan was invaded. In 2004, Gore won reelection due to rally around the flag mood after 9/11 over John McCain.
vanteran
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 09:11:12 PM »

Obama likely isn't the nominee as his "hope" message wouldn't resonate as much if times were better during the 2008 campaign. He probably doesn't even run under these circumstances. I'm not sure Hillary runs either because she wouldn't be comfortable with her changes of winning as a result of Democratic fatigue. So I think Vice President Joe Lieberman (D-CT) wins the nomination against a progressive challenge from Gov. Howard Dean (D-VT) and a centrist challenge from Sen. John Edwards (D-NC). With McCain out of the race in the 2008 GOP primary, I think Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) wins the nomination as the voters feel a more conservative challenger will fare better in the general given the more moderate McCain lost.

So I think the election is a race between Lieberman and Huckabee. The result is the identical map of 2004 IRL I believe with Lieberman winning NM. 281-256 electoral votes.

Al Gore successor after 8 years is... Mike Huckabee?
538Electoral

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:28:35 PM »

312-226
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 02:18:10 AM »

16 years of democrats would have ended their time in office anyways, so McCain wins but by a much smaller margin than Obama in real life and he doesn't run for a second term due to being 76, and Obama probably gives it a go after a full senate term and history is the same from there
vanteran
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »

16 years of democrats would have ended their time in office anyways, so McCain wins but by a much smaller margin than Obama in real life and he doesn't run for a second term due to being 76, and Obama probably gives it a go after a full senate term and history is the same from there

So you're saying McCain runs again and is successful after losing to Gore in 2004?
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 10:13:15 PM »

So you're saying McCain runs again and is successful after losing to Gore in 2004?

I didn't read the original post and answered how I would have pictured it in my mind

But the point still stands. A Republican would win that year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies