Scranton fires campaign chief over 'white guy' remark
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:22:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scranton fires campaign chief over 'white guy' remark  (Read 1411 times)
danwxman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »

By Sharon Smith
Of The Patriot-News
Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Scranton fired his campaign manager last night after Jim Seif called Scranton’s political rival, Lynn Swann, “the rich white guy in this campaign.” Swann, a former Pittsburgh Steeler, is African-American and if elected would be the first black Republican governor. Seif made the remark during a call-in program last night on PCN, which featured him and Swann’s campaign manager. Ray Zaborney. Zaborney responded to Seif’s comment by saying, “That’s one of the most ridiculous and insulting things I’ve ever heard in politics.”

When a caller challenged Seif about his comment, Seif said that if “Mr. Swann finds that objectionable, I will apologize.”

It’s unclear whether he did. Efforts to reach Seif this morning were unsuccessful. Swann and Scranton, who are both running for governor, are currently locked in a battle for the Republican State Committee’s endorsement. Swann has already picked up two non-binding endorsements from two of the party's six regional caucuses and appears to be the front-runner for the GOP’s Feb. 11 endorsement.

Scranton, who trails Swann in the polls, recently called for the committee to refrain from making an endorsement.

Scranton attempted to reach Swann last night to apologize. In a statement, Scranton expressed regret for what Seif said. “I want to apologize to Lynn Swann, his family, supporters and PCN viewers for the offensive and disturbing comments made on my behalf.” Scranton in a statement said that Seif’s remarks, “in no way whatsoever reflect my views or those of my campaign.”

Mike DeVanney, Scranton’s deputy campaign manger, will take over Seif’s duties until a replacement is named.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »

Scranton probably was probably looking for an excuse to fire him before this anyway. Every poll shows him losing to Swann in the primary.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:21:44 PM »

Scranton and his supporters are weirdos anyway.

Lynn Swann better hope the Steelers win the SuperBowl so he can take advantage of a "Steelers-rule, I was a Steeler" bounce.  Isn't he leading Rendell in the polls now anyway?
MissCatholic

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 11:26:47 AM »

Scranton and his supporters are weirdos anyway.

the same people that support santorum?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 11:29:02 AM »

Funny line.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 11:58:23 AM »

For some reason I have aways associted former LT. Govenor Scranton with the now dying-breed Rockfellar Republicans.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 10:57:51 PM »

For some reason I have aways associted former LT. Govenor Scranton with the now dying-breed Rockfellar Republicans.

He and his father are those type of Republicans.

The Scranton campaign is sinking fast and it's too much fun to watch.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 12:06:15 PM »

I think with Scarnton in freefall in the polls and with Swann pulling ahead the general election is going to be close. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies