The last movie you've seen thread 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:51:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2020  (Read 1213 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2020, 03:23:22 PM »

Don't have one for this year yet!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:25:07 PM »

I saw an odd one last night.

American Pop.

This is an incredibly obscure movie that I found out about largely by accident, I had a conversation with my mom where I made some reference in old TV shows I watched which jogged her memory of a strange animated movie she saw in the early 80s shortly before I was born on some movie channel on an early cable TV package they had. Based on some vague clues, (animated and included a cameo by Janis Joplin basically) I identified it as this, and she said it sounded like it.

This movie is incredible. The 1981 release is a bit surprising, this was no doubt definitely playing against type for what people assumed of animated movies at the time. For a relatively short film (barely over an hour an a half) it sure tells an epic story. Better not to know much about it going in, so I'll just say it's a multi-generational story spanning from the 1890s to the early 80s at the time it was made. The animation (done by the now basically obsolete practice of rotoscoping) has a sort of friendly yet surreal at times texture to it and is always engaging. Frankly it's a real shame this is so forgotten, although the wiki article on it might explain why: Due to music licensing issues it didn't even receive a home video release until 1998, 17 years after its release and would probably have been forgotten altogether had it not have been for the cult following around its creator: Ralph Bakshi. Luckily today it's available easily for streaming rental on Amazon and YouTube.

I HIGHLY recommend this, as cliche as the phrase "not like any movie you've seen before" is, it definitely applies in this case.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:36:06 PM »

I had a transatlantic round trip, and finally saw a few movies I've been wanting to see for some time.

Zombieland 2: Same great gags as the first movie, but I thought the ultimate challenge that they had to overcome in the movie was a bit underwhelming. Anyway, very much worth an airplane viewing.

Once Upon a Time in Holywood: Whoa. It's hard to be on the level of Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained, but this one did it. So much more enjoyable than Tarantino's last movie. Really didn't understand the point of the movie and how the story tied in with the Sharon Tate

Doctor Strangelove: I've been meaning to rewatch this one for some time, so I through it in there. Funny bits of it, but it was a bit more of a downer than I remembered.

Black Mass: Another rewatch, but I have been interested in the old Boston organized crime scene after recently listening to the Last Seen podcast about the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum heist. Dark, but really fun to watch.
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 07:21:04 PM »

The Downton Abbey film. As a big fan of the series, this was a must-watch for me. It was definitely worth the wait.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:50:18 PM »

The last movie I watched was 'Double Dragon.' It's terrible, but also kind of endearing.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 10:01:18 PM »

Going in to see Underwater shortly, even though Just Mercy was probably the smarter choice. I'm expecting zero character development and non-Oscar level everything, but I like sci-fi horror when it's well made and this one is intriguing me. I've heard mixed reviews but a consensus on "paper thin characters with no character development".

I'm also 2/3 of the way through The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest on Netflix and will probably finish that tonight. It's good but not great so far.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 10:03:28 PM »

I saw 1917 on Friday, it was amazing!!
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »

Serial Rabbit 5
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 01:22:43 AM »

Once Upon a Time in Holywood: Whoa. It's hard to be on the level of Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained, but this one did it. So much more enjoyable than Tarantino's last movie. Really didn't understand the point of the movie and how the story tied in with the Sharon Tate
Tarantino wanted to make a movie about the relationship abd dynamics between and actor and stuntman that had a closecrelationship and had worked together for years after he saw one such relationship on the set while making one of Deathproof, Django or Inglourious.

He also wanted to make a film about late 60s Hollywood when everything was changing. Less cowboys, more hippies, in real life and on television as well. Lots of famous actors couldn't transition or struggled transitioning. It's a love letter to this time period and to this age in between two eras. Manson Family happened to be in that area at that time, and he wanted to add that stuff in so he just did.

The film is also about Rick and Cliff really representing the old guard and trying to adapt. Rick plays a cowboy on TV, Cliff basically IS a cowboy if you think about it, and at one point he's out doing wild west small desert town cowboy stuff while Rick is acting that character out on camera at the exact same time.

Don't want to get into spoilers on a public forum like this, but that's the general idea.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 04:59:07 AM »

1917. Personally, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Visually, it's stunning, but that's really al, I can remember. I'm still trying to understand why you hire three HUGE actors and give them minimal screentime.

The characters weren't anything special to me (though the acting was very good), and I could pick out the ending from about halfway through. The script was about what I expected, nothing special.

I still think Journey's End remains vastly superior as far as World War 1 dramas go.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 09:08:37 AM »

Epic film with some real scary bits.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 11:13:06 AM »

Part of what made 1917 special was exactly that - the singular focus.  You really felt like you were there with the two troops at times, and the ending (no spoilers) was a perfectly cinematic feel to sum up what World War I was ... the audience felt like many soldiers who had completed their missions, I imagine.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 04:56:53 PM »

Part of what made 1917 special was exactly that - the singular focus.  You really felt like you were there with the two troops at times, and the ending (no spoilers) was a perfectly cinematic feel to sum up what World War I was ... the audience felt like many soldiers who had completed their missions, I imagine.

I couldn't feel that myself. It just didn't jump out and grab me like that.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2020, 05:31:39 PM by Deranged California Suburbanite »

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at home for the first time. I had seen in twice in theaters (a rarity for me). Still stands up as a great movie to me. However, it will never live up to its first viewing imo. It will never match the tension I felt, knowing the history of Sharon Tate and the Mansons while not knowing how the movie was going to go.

The film is also about Rick and Cliff really representing the old guard and trying to adapt. Rick plays a cowboy on TV, Cliff basically IS a cowboy if you think about it, and at one point he's out doing wild west small desert town cowboy stuff while Rick is acting that character out on camera at the exact same time.

Don't want to get into spoilers on a public forum like this, but that's the general idea.

My favorite summary is that it’s about a man who wants to meet his neighbors.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 08:35:34 PM »

Knives Out. I've seen it 2x and could see it a third time. Also, Like a Boss and Little Women, both good.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 09:18:09 PM »

Tarantino wanted to make a movie about the relationship abd dynamics between and actor and stuntman that had a closecrelationship and had worked together for years after he saw one such relationship on the set while making one of Deathproof, Django or Inglourious.

He also wanted to make a film about late 60s Hollywood when everything was changing. Less cowboys, more hippies, in real life and on television as well. Lots of famous actors couldn't transition or struggled transitioning. It's a love letter to this time period and to this age in between two eras. Manson Family happened to be in that area at that time, and he wanted to add that stuff in so he just did.

I realize that I stopped typing mid-thought. I meant to say that I didn't realize how it was going to tie together the storylines, but it washed over me when the credits started to roll. Wow. Just wow. I was really impressed with Tarantino's work on this one.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 12:13:32 PM »

Not a new movie or anything, but I finally watched A Quiet Place last night since I saw they were releasing a sequel.  While it isn't groundbreaking or anything, I thought it was pretty good at setting the atmosphere, and the acting was very good.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 05:32:46 PM »

LBJ (2016)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 02:59:29 AM »

I just watched Short Term 12 from 2013 for the first time, starring Brie Lsrson, Kaitlyn Dever, Lakeith Stanfield and Rami Malek. Holy s__t was this a good movie. Why the hell haven't I heard people talking about this one before? I checked Letterboxd and IMDB after and it yeah it does have really high ratings, yet I never see it namedropped or recommended to others online. DEFINITELY check this movie out, it's a VERY well acted drama about a foster "home" (institution) of sorts, focusing on the young adults who work there and the teenagers that live there. It's both heartfelt and heart-breaking.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 09:23:41 AM »

I’ve seen knives out hoping it was a spoof on Agatha Christie’s 10 Little Indians. While it was an otherwise good movie, having me a laugh at times and having an excellent soundtrack, I couldn’t help but feeling like there were moments when it was just nothing. Otherwise good movie, really hope it doesn’t get a sequel.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 08:37:31 PM »

The Empire Strikes Back.

I found it boring
Heretic!
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 10:52:02 PM »

Just Mercy. I have no idea what to make of it.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »

In theaters: Cats

At home: Iron Man
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »

WHY?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 06:04:07 PM »

Me and some friends got drunk and went to it to see how bad it actually was. Turned out pretty bad.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies