Sultan Qaboos is dead (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:42:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sultan Qaboos is dead (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sultan Qaboos is dead  (Read 1481 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: January 11, 2020, 10:15:16 PM »

I'm going to interrupt the lovefest on a Middle Eastern absolute monarch and say RIP, HP.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 10:45:04 PM »

Tbh "enlightened despot" sounds about right, the point is that the second word also applies.

I don't think there's much of a contradiction in saying that, by the standards of a Middle Eastern sheikh, he was indeed a massive FF...but those standards are so amazingly, horrifically low that they allow a man who was in fact a brutal tyrant to be fairly described as an FF in comparison with his peers.

Yes, these points exactly. I was certainly not trying to claim that Qaboos was nearly as much of an HP as the constellation of other Gulf potentates who ebbed and flowed around him.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »

It's worth mentioning there were longtime rumours the Sultan was deep in the closet, which, if true, would be especially relevant, given Oman's laws penalizing homosexuals.

One of the factors that led to the coup he launched against his father was his father destroying his Gilbert and Sullivan LPs.

Honestly, that's a mood. Qaboos would make a great, and probably very sympathetic, fictional character; unfortunately, in his capacity as a real person...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies