1994 midterms under HW Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:59:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1994 midterms under HW Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1994 midterms under HW Bush  (Read 587 times)
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2020, 11:34:01 AM »
« edited: January 10, 2020, 01:11:47 PM by АndriуValeriovich »

If George H.W. Bush was reelected in 1992 against Clinton or any other Democrat, how Denocrats and Republicans do in the 1994 election?

My guess:

Senate:

D gain: DE, FL, MN, VT, WA
R gain: ME
D+4
Democratic: 60
Republican: 40

So, Al Gore stayed in the Senate, no TN-Sen special election will happen

Dennis DeConcini, Donald Riegle probably will not retire, they will win reelection

OH and FL Democratic Party probably will find better candidate and they will win election

Closest election are ME-Sen, where Snow barely won and DE, where Roth barely lost

Governor:
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »

There's obviously no Gingrich Revolution, as the Democrats don't lose control of Congress in 1994, being that they (at least partly) lost in real life as a reaction to Clinton's unpopularity during his first 2 years. Hell, the Democrats probably make gains, as I'd imagine that the Republican base would be the ones sitting home on Election Day (considering the anti-government anger of the time shimmered from the conservatives). Who knows? Perhaps George Pataki, Newt Gingrich, Dick Armey, & Tom DeLay would all go down as mere footnotes, & Tom Foley would never lose his seat?

W. also doesn't even run for Governor of Texas (let alone President sometime down the line), seeing that he ran for both as a means of payback for what he considered to have been unfair treatment toward his father. He'd just stay in baseball & maybe eventually become MLB Commissioner. Jeb would also probably sit out in '94, as he wouldn't want the Bush name to backfire, though I'd imagine that he'd still end up running for Governor in 1998, & I see no reason as to why he'd be unsuccessful in doing so, since it would definitely be a Democratic president's midterm.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »

IRL, Mack won reelection with 70% of the vote. He definitely doesn't lose. I think Gorton and Jeffords also manage to hang on.

In terms of governors, Republicans manage to pick up Oklahoma, Kansas and Wyoming, but Richards and Cuomo both hang on, as does Wilson in California.

Cuomo/Gore is the Democratic ticket in '96, and fatigue after four terms of Republican presidents allows them to beat Quayle easily.
538Electoral

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 11:15:51 PM »

Republicans obviously don't do nearly as good.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies