Opinion of Søren Kierkegaard
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:41:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Søren Kierkegaard
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Danish theologian widely considered to be the father of existentialism
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Opinion of Søren Kierkegaard  (Read 634 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2020, 10:43:45 PM »
« edited: January 08, 2020, 11:15:22 PM by Scott🦋 »

I am currently reading A Kierkegaard Anthology, one of the books I got for Christmas.  It is a fairly comprensible introduction to his work for laymen, in so far as the man's writing can be appreciated by a wider audience.  His observation of the Western Christianity of his time - that those who practice it sacrifice essentially nothing, as they are more or less conforming to the norms of a "Christianized" society, and are in essence adhering to a religion which is completely alien to that of its founders - undoubtedly displays itself today, and augments itself with the mass commercialization that we are exposed to every holiday season.

The Christian faith as a whole, therefore, has very little to offer that diverts itself from contemporary society.  And such is evident by the decline in church membership in all denominations, irrespective of their "liberal" approaches to theology or emphasis on social justice issues.  And it's no coincidence that those countries which adopted Christianity as a pillar of the culture saw the fastest decline in religiosity in the last century.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:08:12 PM »

I have a lot of respect for him, and his understanding of faith is infinitely more profound than the one you get from your average megachurch pastor. I'm not sure how far I can go in agreeing with him (he can get a little too angsty for my tastes even now), but I haven't found myself disagreeing with him on much.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 12:34:57 AM »

A somewhat interesting writer, but the leap of faith is stupid as hell and pretty much undermines his entire philosophical project.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies