Jindal to run against Blanco for Louisiana Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:57:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jindal to run against Blanco for Louisiana Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jindal to run against Blanco for Louisiana Governor  (Read 6468 times)
Galactic Overlord

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 12:07:19 AM »

Except for former Rep. Chris John and current treasurer John Kennedy, there are few white Democrats that could give Bobby a race (excluding John Breaux, who would likely win).  Many of the first-tier Democratic officeholders or ex-officeholders in the state are getting older or have lost many races already.  There's little fresh blood to be found on the Democratic side.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 03:33:03 PM »

Damn you Landrieu!!! You had a shot at the governors office and you go and blow it on entering the mayors race for the god-forsaken city of New Orleans. Although I guess if he does a good job on reenventing New Orleans he could stage a comeback and take the governorship or a senate seat if it is availible.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 04:40:42 PM »

I think he fears being defeated on a ticket with Blanco due to her unpopularity.  This way he can build a record as the Mayor who brought New Orleans back.  He could also run for another office at a later date.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 06:47:18 PM »

I agree with Storebought - Jindal will be a very weak candidate due to his race, even with Blanco's problems.  Even if the rural whites hate her, she still white, and Jindal isn't.

I must confess that I haven't followed that Katrina story very closely - I thought most people blamed Bush for the lack of any response, not some governor?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 08:15:32 PM »

Bobby Jindal is probably my favorite conservative.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 09:51:05 PM »

I agree with Storebought - Jindal will be a very weak candidate due to his race, even with Blanco's problems.  Even if the rural whites hate her, she still white, and Jindal isn't.

I must confess that I haven't followed that Katrina story very closely - I thought most people blamed Bush for the lack of any response, not some governor?

Blanco's statewide numbers went into the tank after Katrina.  Even if many LA residents are disappointed with Bush, he'll never be on the ballot again.  Blanco will be. 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 10:25:51 AM »

Bobby Jindal is probably my favorite conservative.

Interesting... but why?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2006, 12:37:17 AM »

My optimistic streak says Blanco will pull an upset.  Hell, her term's barely half-over.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »

That's optimism?
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »

It sure isn't optimism for me!  Look at my avatar and you'll understand why.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006, 04:26:16 PM »

I figured Democrats would demand another nominee.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2006, 05:14:19 PM »

Dont they have runoffs in Lousiana?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »

Blanco's statewide numbers went into the tank after Katrina.  Even if many LA residents are disappointed with Bush, he'll never be on the ballot again.  Blanco will be. 

Pretty much everyone got thrown in the wrunger over Katrina. Bush, Blanco, and Nagin all got blamed. Pretty much only two politicians were able to keep their hands clean - Sen. Landrieu (through political wrangling and the sheer fact that she isn't an executive) and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (because Mississippi didn't suffer as much and had far better disaster relief - it must be embarrasing for Louisiana that they're worse than Mississippi...).
Barbour, BTW, is considered a possibility for the 2008 Republican nomination.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2006, 05:57:19 PM »

(because Mississippi didn't suffer as much and had far better disaster relief - it must be embarrasing for Louisiana that they're worse than Mississippi...).
Barbour, BTW, is considered a possibility for the 2008 Republican nomination.

Riley was out until Hurricane Katrina.

Mississippi sure did suffer, though.  And despite talk, Barbour will not appear on a ballot outside Mississippi.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2006, 11:46:27 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2006, 11:51:24 PM by Atty. Gen. Brandon H »

It's blame everyone. (I blame Mike Brown.)

Dont they have runoffs in Lousiana?

Yes.

---
I got Blanco's speech on TV this afternoon. Some of it was pretty good. I didn't find anything horrible in it (but I judge on actions more than words). I would like to know how not consolidating the Metro New Orleans Area Levee Boards into one Levee Board will cost the state something like 12 million dollars of federal money.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2006, 01:39:48 AM »

Ha.  Nominate Barbour and cinch Hillary into the White House.

But in the world of reality, Blanco has 2 years to improve herself.  It wasn't that she was bad during Katrina, she was just frazzled.  And I wonder why?  Maybe because a situation like that had NEVER happened before and there's nothing she could've done to prepare herself for it.  Yeah, I probably would've been frazzled too.  But Blanco has 2 years to rebuild the state, and could do a lot of good.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2006, 02:39:44 AM »

It wasn't that she was bad during Katrina, she was just frazzled.

I hope that is her campaign slogan.  Very encouraging.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2006, 07:57:44 AM »

Ha.  Nominate Barbour and cinch Hillary into the White House.

But in the world of reality, Blanco has 2 years to improve herself.  It wasn't that she was bad during Katrina, she was just frazzled.  And I wonder why?  Maybe because a situation like that had NEVER happened before and there's nothing she could've done to prepare herself for it.  Yeah, I probably would've been frazzled too.  But Blanco has 2 years to rebuild the state, and could do a lot of good.

And more importantly, people have time to consider whether a Republican - whose ideology is adamantly opposed to helping them - would've helped them more than even the most incompetent Democrat.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies