Describe Obama 08/Romney 12/Hillary 16/Trump 2020 voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:45:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe Obama 08/Romney 12/Hillary 16/Trump 2020 voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Describe Obama 08/Romney 12/Hillary 16/Trump 2020 voters  (Read 1391 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:27:21 PM »
« edited: January 05, 2020, 01:51:40 PM by Old School Republican »

I know a few and their reasons for voting this way as well so describe these types of voters . These people by the way said if they could have voted in 2000 and 2004 they would have voted for Gore in 2000 and Bush in 2004(their feelings at the time , not with hindsight )
Troll and Sock Puppet. Delete my ACCOUNT!
thechosenwon
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:33:02 PM »

A disaffected white, working-class Democrat from Arkansas who supported Bill Clinton's runs for Governor and President, voted Kerry '04, and supported Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primaries, but reluctantly voted for Obama's message of "Hope and Change" in 2008. Disappointed by slow economic recovery, the voter fell for Republican efforts to "make Obama a one-term President" in 2012, but "came home" (I hate that term in 2016 to vote for Hillary. Having seen the economy remain stable and having been energized by Trump speaking on behalf of the angry white man, this voter intends to vote Trump in 2020 and will remain Republican thereafter.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »

A disaffected white, working-class Democrat from Arkansas who supported Bill Clinton's runs for Governor and President, voted Kerry '04, and supported Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primaries, but reluctantly voted for Obama's message of "Hope and Change" in 2008. Disappointed by slow economic recovery, the voter fell for Republican efforts to "make Obama a one-term President" in 2012, but "came home" (I hate that term in 2016 to vote for Hillary. Having seen the economy remain stable and having been energized by Trump speaking on behalf of the angry white man, this voter intends to vote Trump in 2020 and will remain Republican thereafter.

No did you not read my description lol , they supported Bush in 2004 not Kerry but they couldn’t vote though cause they weren’t eligible yet to do so.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:45:30 PM »

Who in their right mind would vote for Bush against Kerry with hindsight? I honestly doubt the validity of these voters you mention lol.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »

Who in their right mind would vote for Bush against Kerry with hindsight? I honestly doubt the validity of these voters you mention lol.

It’s not with hindsight , it’s their feelings at the time . They supported Gore in 2000 and Bush in 2004 but weren’t eligible to vote either time
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 01:53:34 PM »

Voters attracted to "establishment" candidates who prioritize national security/stability + the economy
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »

It’s not with hindsight , it’s their feelings at the time . They supported Gore in 2000 and Bush in 2004 but weren’t eligible to vote either time
Well, probably NeverTrump types who appreciate his standard NeoCon policy record while in office. Too bad they would not vote Biden though.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »

I know a few and their reasons for voting this way as well so describe these types of voters . These people by the way said if they could have voted in 2000 and 2004 they would have voted for Gore in 2000 and Bush in 2004(their feelings at the time , not with hindsight )

Neocon who prioritizes regime change in Iran.

In 2000, they like Gore because he was supposedly more interventionist than Bush (who ran as a semi-isolationist).

In 2004, they backed Bush because they were excited by the Axis of Evil rhetoric and figured that he might follow up regime change in Iraq with Regime Change in Iran.

By 2008, they had come to see that the war in Iraq was harming prospects for regime change in Iran. It was strengthening Iran's position (with growing influence in Iraq) and also was draining away America's will to fight in Neocon wars. Hence, in order for regime change to become a realistic prospect again for Iran, it was necessary to end the Iraq war. Although Obama might not be likely to launch a war on Iran, at least then his successor might be more likely to do so.

In 2012, they loved Romney for his hostility to Iran, and hoped that President Romney would be Bush II: Iran Edition.

In 2016, they liked Hillary's discussions/mentioning the Quds force and Solemeini, and feared that Trump would be isolationist (but were not sure). Also, they supported the Iran nuclear detail, because, let's face it, the US is not going to invade a country with nukes - regime change war can only be waged against a non-nuclear regime.

In 2020, after Trump's escalation against Iran, they decided to back Trump for that reason.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 03:56:58 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2020, 04:00:02 PM by Old School Republican »

I’ll give a couple hint :

- they aren’t neo cons and while they may  prefer establishment politicians they don’t like them either . If they were neo con establishment voters they would have voted for McCain in 2008.

-This isn’t really hard as many of you are making it out to be , and if you just look at the years it will become really obvious.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 04:42:32 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2020, 04:45:40 PM by Frenchrepublican »

Someone who always vote for the incumbent party candidate when the economy is doing well.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »

Someone who always vote for the incumbent

Nope
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »

*provided a good economy
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 05:24:40 PM »

Yup that’s the correct answer , they said they will vote to re-elect the party in the White House if the economy is doing well , if it was doing bad they will vote for the opposite party . 2004 they said was the one exception where they would have (if they could have voted ) where they would have taken into account something  other than the economy into account .

The answer to this I thought was pretty obvious, in 2000(if they could have voted ), 2016, and for now in 2020 the economy is/was doing well so they supported the incumbent party , in 2008 and 2012 the economy was doing bad so they supported the opposition party and 2004 was ambiguous but the economy wasn’t doing badly either and terrorism was a huge issue so they voted for the incumbent party
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »

People who say they want "change" above everything else, but were afraid of Trump in 2016. Now they see him as an effective gadfly who isn't too dangerous for their tastes, and will vote for him ahead of any of the establishment Dems.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »

Affluent college educated suburban whites

2008: voted Obama because of W Bush's incompetence, financial crisis, and McCain's instability
2012: voted Romney because of lukewarm economy and Obama's ineffective economic policies
2016: wanted to vote GOP but got scared of Trump and fears of a Trump presidency bringing recession so went with "safe" choice Hillary
2020: happy with Trump's policies and the state of the economy, freaked out by how hard left the Dems are and voting Trump
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »

Yup that’s the correct answer , they said they will vote to re-elect the party in the White House if the economy is doing well , if it was doing bad they will vote for the opposite party . 2004 they said was the one exception where they would have (if they could have voted ) where they would have taken into account something  other than the economy into account .

The answer to this I thought was pretty obvious, in 2000(if they could have voted ), 2016, and for now in 2020 the economy is/was doing well so they supported the incumbent party , in 2008 and 2012 the economy was doing bad so they supported the opposition party and 2004 was ambiguous but the economy wasn’t doing badly either and terrorism was a huge issue so they voted for the incumbent party

^Uh...

Voters attracted to "establishment" candidates who prioritize national security/stability + the economy

Well you should have taken out the establishment part lol as if they wouldn’t support Obama in 2008 or  Trump in 2020.

Troll and Sock Puppet. Delete my ACCOUNT!
thechosenwon
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 08:56:28 PM »

BINGO! This is the common denominator!

If they supported Gore in 2000, they are even more likely to be a southern Democrat.

I did not read your paragraph.
538Electoral

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »

Someone who was dissatisfied with the state of the economy in both 2008 and 2012, Was too disgusted by Trump's comments to vote for him in 2016 but supports him now thanks to the state of the economy.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 12:26:21 AM »

Someone who votes for the Democrat and the Republican in alternating years.
Someone who won the Super-Duper Megabucks lottery after Trump was elected, got his winnings as a structured settlement, and is scared of big taxes by Democrats.
Someone neurotic.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 12:59:11 AM »

Inconsistent
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 01:28:15 AM »

A wealthy voter in a place like Atherton CA or Greenwich CT. Maybe also University Park or something. Voted for Obama 08 in the D wave, hated Obamacare so went Romney, thought Trump would be insane and leave NATO so went Clinton, now likes how Trump has governed in office and is scared of how liberal all the Democrats are.
Forward
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 02:02:23 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2020, 04:08:21 PM by Forward »

It's very easy to describe a Gore/Bush/Obama/Romney/Hillary voter. There were many, many people who voted like this. I don't know why people are acting as if this is a rare voting pattern. I can't believe only two people mentioned the group of people in which this voting pattern is extremely common.

Rich people!

Bush won the top income bracket in 2000 by around 55/45, Bush won it again by around 65/35 in 2004, Obama won it in 2008 by around 53/47 IIRC (being the first Democrat to do that since LBJ), Romney won it in 2012 by around 55/45, and Clinton and Trump both performed around evenly with this group (with exit polls showing Trump with a slight edge and other polls showing Clinton with a slight edge). This indicates a lot of Gore/Bush/Obama/Romney/Clinton voters in this group.

I know Gore 2000 performed similarly to Obama 2012 with rich voters in the nation at-large, but if you look specifically at the results of many of the richest cities in the US, Gore did much better than Obama 2012 in most of them IIRC.  

Obama/Romney/Clinton was the voting pattern of many, many of the wealthiest towns in the US such as Atherton, CA, Greenwich, CT, etc.

It's easy to imagine a rich voter who was turned off by Bush's anti-intellectualism and boorish behavior and turned on by the strong economy in 2000, turned on by Bush's tax cuts in 2004, turned off by the recession in 2008, turned off by Obama's "class warfare" rhetoric in 2012, and turned off by Trump's racism and boorish behavior in 2016.

I can't think of a more "stereotypical rich person voting pattern" than Gore/Bush/Obama/Romney/Hillary.

My mother is a Gore/Bush/Obama/Romney/Hillary voter.

The part that makes this difficult however is the Trump 2020 part. It's hard for me to imagine upscale voters going back to Trump in 2020, especially considering Biden is probably going to be the nominee. However, if Bernie is the nominee, I could easily imagine this with the Trump 2020 part.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 03:48:17 AM »

Rich people -- the ultimate swing voters?

Many, now that I think of it,  would be single-issue voters with taxes or foreign policy/defense as their issues. I can imagine many of them turning against Trump for foreign policy. If conservative, they are also cautious. They have assets to protect both from expropriation and from destruction in war.

The old excuse for intervention, "American interests abroad" typically meant investments such as United Fruit Company (Guatemala in the 1950's). 
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 02:17:57 PM »

It's very easy to describe a Gore/Bush/Obama/Romney/Hillary voter. There were many, many people who voted like this. I don't know why people are acting as if this is a rare voting pattern. I can't believe only one person mentioned the group of people in which this voting pattern is extremely common.

Rich people!

Bush won the top income bracket in 2000 by around 55/45, Bush won it again by around 65/35 in 2004, Obama won it in 2008 by around 53/47 IIRC (being the first Democrat to do that since LBJ), Romney won it in 2012 by around 55/45, and Clinton and Trump both performed around evenly with this group (with exit polls showing Trump with a slight edge and other polls showing Clinton with a slight edge). This indicates a lot of Gore/Bush/Obama/Romney/Clinton voters in this group.

I know Gore 2000 performed similarly to Obama 2012 with rich voters in the nation at-large, but if you look specifically at the results of many of the richest cities in the US, Gore did much better than Obama 2012 in most of them IIRC. 

Obama/Romney/Clinton was the voting pattern of many, many of the wealthiest towns in the US such as Atherton, CA, Greenwich, CT, etc.

It's easy to imagine a rich voter who was turned off by Bush's anti-intellectualism and boorish behavior and turned on by the strong economy in 2000, turned on by Bush's tax cuts in 2004, turned off by the recession in 2008, turned off by Obama's "class warfare" rhetoric in 2012, and turned off by Trump's racism and boorish behavior in 2016.

I can't think of a more "stereotypical rich person voting pattern" than Gore/Bush/Obama/Romney/Hillary.

My mother is a Gore/Bush/Obama/Romney/Hillary voter.

The part that makes this difficult however is the Trump 2020 part. It's hard for me to imagine upscale voters going back to Trump in 2020, especially considering Biden is probably going to be the nominee. However, if Bernie is the nominee, I could easily imagine this with the Trump 2020 part.

My mom fits this type for the most part, but considered McCain a great patriot and war hero, and never warmed up to Obama. She went Clinton/Clinton/Bush/Bush/McCain/Romney/Hillary. She is super stoked about Mike Bloomberg, obvs.

Never in a million years would she support Donald Trump. She calls Trump a betrayal of everything Republicans should stand for.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 07:16:17 PM »

Well-off, economically focused center-right voters who voted for Obama in 2008 due to the recession and Clinton in 2016 due to fear that Trump would be more populist than he is.

Either that or someone who just alternates voting for Republicans and Democrats.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies