Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 12:44:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy
« previous next »
Thread note
Vigilabo ego sum vobis

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 55
Author Topic: Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy  (Read 61017 times)
fluffypanther19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 10:39:36 PM »

well this is about to get interesting....

what a great start to the new year
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 10:40:02 PM »

Does anyone here think the draft will be reinstated for whatever conflict ends up happening with Iran?
I don't know, honestly. They had the draft for Vietnam and Iran is a bigger, more organized country, but it's likely it doesn't get to that point. Still, the Iranians seem to be pretty pissed, and with Trump in the White House God knows what happens now. Hoping not, because I'm about to cross into that age range Confused
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 10:41:19 PM »

Does anyone here think the draft will be reinstated for whatever conflict ends up happening with Iran?
I doubt that there will be many boots on the ground.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 10:42:21 PM »

Almost surely, knowing Dictator Donald.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 10:45:07 PM »

Damn....how are Trump supporters gonna pretend to hate Bush era neocon-ism now?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 10:48:22 PM »

Fuzzy Bear, please comment. 
Old Broken Down Pile Of Crap
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 10:51:44 PM »

The Paleocons were always deluding themselves and seeing what they wanted to see. Trump went on his YouTube channel in 2011 unprompted (this was not any kind of interview) and made a video demanding we send ground troops to Libya. He approved of Iraq in 2002 and only disapproved afterwards because we didn't "seize the oil". He is a classic neocon imperialist.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 10:54:58 PM »

War is a definite at this point. Woe to the millions of bodies that are expected in this conflict, along with any other anguish.

Let me break this down to you guys. The murder of that jackass Soleimani will definitely lead to war, a war that the US will go through even worse then Iraq or Afghanistan combined. Expect probable attacks on US troops in the region done by the IRCG and other militias and proxies. Iran is in a much better position militarily then Iraq during the war in 2003; a semi diversified economy, domestic armaments industry, and a unified home front are the obvious changes. I expect the protests in Iran right now to die down as most rally round the flag to avoid getting turned into Iraq. No one, especially none on the ground, wants this other then the PMOI and Shahis located in LA and American foreign policy thinktanks.

None of our European allies will be thrilled to go to war. I expect a lack of enthusiasm and even nations refusing to go to save their own political situation what with the continued crisis in the EU. Trump is going to be isolated, both on this front and at home. Get ready for the largest anti-war protests you’ll ever see with a president down  10 percentage points. The only question is if this escalates into what we saw with the protests in Nam.

I expect a global economic collapse to be worse then expected from this. I expect an emboldened Al-Qaeda and ISIS to act on this opportunity to claw back into Iraq and Syria. I expect the Iraqi government to fully abandon the US, even the Dawa party and especially the Sadrists. I expect this to be the beginning to the end of the American Empire itself. I can expect both pain from loss of life here and abroad.

To all who voted for Trump, I hope you’re happy for the death and destruction he has caused so far, and the cataclysmic disaster to follow.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 10:57:15 PM »

Hope it doesn’t start a war
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2020, 10:59:09 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's been an honor.
alancia
Argentina

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.35

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2020, 10:59:16 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »

Annnnd Karl Rove & Ari Fleischer are already on Fox dusting off their old Iraq war talking points of  “if you are critical of this then you support the terrorist” and “we’ll be greeted as liberators”
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2020, 11:00:14 PM »

I'm sure red avatars will demand restraint and consessions in order to keep the peace. If you F with America, the d__k hammer is gonna swing and it's gonna knock you over. Maybe Iran shouldn't have messed with the U.S. embassy if they didn't want to receive negative consequences.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2020, 11:00:29 PM »

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2020, 11:01:15 PM »

This isn't some minor bombing the media kills off after half an hour.

This is looking like something different.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2020, 11:03:43 PM »

The Paleocons were always deluding themselves and seeing what they wanted to see. Trump went on his YouTube channel in 2011 unprompted (this was not any kind of interview) and made a video demanding we send ground troops to Libya. He approved of Iraq in 2002 and only disapproved afterwards because we didn't "seize the oil". He is a classic neocon imperialist.

Wait....are you claiming that Trump is some kind....some kind of of a con man?!?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2020, 11:08:53 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2020, 11:13:37 PM by PA is Lean D »

I guess one of the good things that's coming out of Trump is that he's pushing the Democrats more towards an anti-interventionist platform while the Republicans are shifting more neocon because they're being forced to defend his every stupid action.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2020, 11:09:47 PM »

Wait....are you claiming that Trump is some kind....some kind of of a con man?!?
Outrageous! What’s next? Saying his supporters engage in bad faith when discussing the Bush administration?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2020, 11:10:11 PM »

Once the war starts, Russia will probably invade & annex either Ukraine, Belarus, or a Baltic state.  He's been waiting for an opening like this.  Something to distract the US/Europe.

I’d like that but it won’t occur
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2020, 11:11:14 PM »

Give him time. His cult leaders need to run up some trial balloons, figure out how they're going to spin this (plan is a 4-letter word in Trumpworld), and then he needs to sit and download them from FOXNews before he can share "his" opinions with us. 
Almost Anyone But Biden Or Trump (ABBoT but not Greg Abbott)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2020, 11:12:14 PM »

It would take way too long to train draftees to have any sort of immediate impact. So this could only occur if we were idiotic enough to try to actually invade and occupy Iran. Which would be a degree of idiocy much larger than the idiocy of invading Iraq, so... The question is... How stupid is Donald Trump? Hopefully not that stupid...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2020, 11:17:43 PM »

It would take way too long to train draftees to have any sort of immediate impact. So this could only occur if we were idiotic enough to try to actually invade and occupy Iran. Which would be a degree of idiocy much larger than the idiocy of invading Iraq, so... The question is... How stupid is Donald Trump? Hopefully not that stupid...

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2020, 11:18:06 PM »

Here we go...

Almost Anyone But Biden Or Trump (ABBoT but not Greg Abbott)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2020, 11:26:09 PM »

War is a definite at this point. Woe to the millions of bodies that are expected in this conflict, along with any other anguish.

Let me break this down to you guys. The murder of that jackass Soleimani will definitely lead to war, a war that the US will go through even worse then Iraq or Afghanistan combined. Expect probable attacks on US troops in the region done by the IRCG and other militias and proxies. Iran is in a much better position militarily then Iraq during the war in 2003; a semi diversified economy, domestic armaments industry, and a unified home front are the obvious changes. I expect the protests in Iran right now to die down as most rally round the flag to avoid getting turned into Iraq. No one, especially none on the ground, wants this other then the PMOI and Shahis located in LA and American foreign policy thinktanks.

None of our European allies will be thrilled to go to war. I expect a lack of enthusiasm and even nations refusing to go to save their own political situation what with the continued crisis in the EU. Trump is going to be isolated, both on this front and at home. Get ready for the largest anti-war protests you’ll ever see with a president down  10 percentage points. The only question is if this escalates into what we saw with the protests in Nam.

I expect a global economic collapse to be worse then expected from this. I expect an emboldened Al-Qaeda and ISIS to act on this opportunity to claw back into Iraq and Syria. I expect the Iraqi government to fully abandon the US, even the Dawa party and especially the Sadrists. I expect this to be the beginning to the end of the American Empire itself. I can expect both pain from loss of life here and abroad.

To all who voted for Trump, I hope you’re happy for the death and destruction he has caused so far, and the cataclysmic disaster to follow.

This is another case where the above analysis is quite plausible. However, it is so because, in large, part, Trump is the President.

Compare the situation now to the situation, for example, in the Cuban Missile Crisis. I would say that the situation is currently less than that.

So war is *not* inevitable. But avoiding war requires intelligent leaders with an understanding of strategy and, probably most importantly, a knowledge and appreciation of history.

Conflict can be averted, but it requires rational and deliberate leaders who can step back and look at the situation objectively (on both sides), and who can recognize this mutually and then call up the other leader and say "It looks like we are heading to an escalating cycle. We should be able to see clearly, both of us, that this will not be good for anyone. So what can we do to avoid this?"
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2020, 11:27:48 PM »

This is another case where the above analysis is quite plausible. However, it is so because, in large, part, Trump is the President.

Compare the situation now to the situation, for example, in the Cuban Missile Crisis. I would say that the situation is currently less than that.

So war is *not* inevitable. But avoiding war requires intelligent leaders with an understanding of strategy and, probably most importantly, a knowledge and appreciation of history.

Conflict can be averted, but it requires rational and deliberate leaders who can step back and look at the situation objectively (on both sides), and who can recognize this mutually and then call up the other leader and say "It looks like we are heading to an escalating cycle. We should be able to see clearly, both of us, that this will not be good for anyone. So what can we do to avoid this?"
None of the things to prevent a war from breaking out are present in this administration.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies