2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 108689 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: February 02, 2022, 10:57:40 AM »

There are two issues that I have found with 26 seat NY fair maps, that you both brought up and I would like to see what the suggested answers are, both for diversity of opinion's sake and to see how others resolved them. These two issues make it very easy to gerry NY for the dems, but hard to make a sensible map I have found.

1) Upstate new York has to lose a CD. If you are gerrymandering, this is the 22nd or maybe even the 21st if you are doing something with the Clinton/St. Lawrence region. On a reasonable map, the seat most reasonably to be cut is the 19th. NYC is just pushing north - good if you are gerrymandering cause it can eat red turf - and upstate pushing south, exerting a squeeze. But how do you group that cut? Putting everything north of Ulster+Sullivan+Dutchess in a upstate block comes about 140k short of 8 seats. There is no easy remedy cause Ulster and Sullivan are best kept together, and both that grouping or Dutchess are both 250K+.

Looking at it a different way doesn't exactly help, cause everything north of Rockland+Westchester is about 140K overpopulated for 9 seats, and dropping Putnam still leaves it at over 40K overpopulated. A new allignment is needed.

2) There is an either-or relationship in Brooklyn+Queens. Given the necessary minority seats, the need to both prevent packing of each minority group AND prevent the dilution of other minority groups while you are preventing packing, some White regions must be used to as counterweights for the Brooklyn AA seats. There are two options: the South Brooklyn Jews+Eastern Europeans and the west Brooklyn Progressives. Given the seat count, whichever one you go for will not get a seat of its own. Whichever one is cut up will have pieces paired with Staten Island, pieces that slightly or not at all resemble the other part of the district.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #826 on: February 02, 2022, 11:10:18 AM »

There are two issues that I have found with 26 seat NY fair maps, that you both brought up and I would like to see what the suggested answers are, both for diversity of opinion's sake and to see how others resolved them. These two issues make it very easy to gerry NY for the dems, but hard to make a sensible map I have found.

1) Upstate new York has to lose a CD. If you are gerrymandering, this is the 22nd or maybe even the 21st if you are doing something with the Clinton/St. Lawrence region. On a reasonable map, the seat most reasonably to be cut is the 19th. NYC is just pushing north - good if you are gerrymandering cause it can eat red turf - and upstate pushing south, exerting a squeeze. But how do you group that cut? Putting everything north of Ulster+Sullivan+Dutchess in a upstate block comes about 140k short of 8 seats. There is no easy remedy cause Ulster and Sullivan are best kept together, and both that grouping or Dutchess are both 250K+.

Looking at it a different way doesn't exactly help, cause everything north of Rockland+Westchester is about 140K overpopulated for 9 seats, and dropping Putnam still leaves it at over 40K overpopulated. A new allignment is needed.

2) There is an either-or relationship in Brooklyn+Queens. Given the necessary minority seats, the need to both prevent packing of each minority group AND prevent the dilution of other minority groups while you are preventing packing, some White regions must be used to as counterweights for the Brooklyn AA seats. There are two options: the South Brooklyn Jews+Eastern Europeans and the west Brooklyn Progressives. Given the seat count, whichever one you go for will not get a seat of its own. Whichever one is cut up will have pieces paired with Staten Island, pieces that slightly or not at all resemble the other part of the district.

What percebt of the black vote did Clarke win in 2018 anyway. Was it very strong or was it more like Lacy Clay vs Cori Bush ?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #827 on: February 02, 2022, 11:20:23 AM »

What percebt of the black vote did Clarke win in 2018 anyway. Was it very strong or was it more like Lacy Clay vs Cori Bush ?

I don't have the maps on hand, but when I saw them in the past, in all the Progressive vs AA races in the past 4 years, the Progressive, regardless of race, dominates the expected neighborhoods in West Brooklyn and Queens vs the incumbent in the AA areas usually in the east of the seat.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #828 on: February 02, 2022, 11:39:01 AM »

#1 is definitely a tough issue. To some extent, I like Phil's solution of splitting the banks of the Hudson, but on the other hand, it does feel awkward: putting Putnam County and Albany in the same district is a poor fit. I lean towards splitting Ulster and Sullivan: my impression is that the area is less integrated and certainly less dense than Dutchess. My optimal solution would probably look something like this: https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::0bae0382-02f2-40b9-a32e-5debe7a22f67

#2 is easier for me. The Brooklyn progressives don't have enough population for their own seat and aren't compact. The ethnic whites do have enough, and are compact. Drawing a South Brooklyn seat makes all of the Brooklyn seats together and better keeps together communities of interest. I lean strongly towards the South Brooklyn Jews+Eastern Europeans seat.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #829 on: February 02, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »

#1 is definitely a tough issue. To some extent, I like Phil's solution of splitting the banks of the Hudson, but on the other hand, it does feel awkward: putting Putnam County and Albany in the same district is a poor fit. I lean towards splitting Ulster and Sullivan: my impression is that the area is less integrated and certainly less dense than Dutchess. My optimal solution would probably look something like this: https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::0bae0382-02f2-40b9-a32e-5debe7a22f67

#2 is easier for me. The Brooklyn progressives don't have enough population for their own seat and aren't compact. The ethnic whites do have enough, and are compact. Drawing a South Brooklyn seat makes all of the Brooklyn seats together and better keeps together communities of interest. I lean strongly towards the South Brooklyn Jews+Eastern Europeans seat.
My reasoning for splitting the Hudson along its two banks is simple: there are only 4 bridges crossing the Hudson between Albany and Westchester counties, reducing the amount of connectivity that the two banks have to each other. That being said, while I prefer to draw the Hudson that way, I also concede there are benefits to doing it the traditional way, so I don't preclude an ideal map from doing the latter.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #830 on: February 02, 2022, 01:28:47 PM »

The congressional map has passed the Assembly by the (maybe not needed, but safe to have) 2/3 majority, 103-45
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #831 on: February 02, 2022, 01:29:57 PM »

The congressional map has passed the Assembly by the (maybe not needed, but safe to have) 2/3 majority, 103-45
Interesting that it's not a party-line vote?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #832 on: February 02, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »

State Site has yet to be updated with the exact vote transcripts, but one NO D vote I can see on twitter was Marcela Mitaynes of Brooklyn. Senate is expected to vote between 3 and 4.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #833 on: February 02, 2022, 01:40:18 PM »

State Site has yet to be updated with the exact vote transcripts, but one NO D vote I can see on twitter was Marcela Mitaynes of Brooklyn. Senate is expected to vote between 3 and 4.
Is it a matter of any importance the precise margin by which the map passes the State Senate? In terms of its likelihood of being overturned or whatnot.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #834 on: February 02, 2022, 01:44:13 PM »

Is it a matter of any importance the precise margin by which the map passes the State Senate? In terms of its likelihood of being overturned or whatnot.

In this situation, where the commission collapsed and provided nothing to edit, the constitutional amendment is a mess. Nobody knows if a majority or 2/3s are needed, though 2/3s is obviously preferable cause then that can of worms can remain closed.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #835 on: February 02, 2022, 01:45:03 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2022, 01:49:51 PM by Tintrlvr »

Looking at that sort of arrangement gives me the thought that I should redraw the 11th and 9th to put Bensonhurst in the 9th while placing Sunset Park in the 11th.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/73e32e04-cbcd-472c-942f-6023fab6e208
Something like this.

That makes sense, yeah.

I think your biggest problem is combining the UWS with Harlem, which leaves that seat plurality white. Not going to be acceptable. You have to pair white parts of Manhattan with Brooklyn to preserve that minority seat.

I doubt the courts would strike it down, honestly. Especially since the seat is still 60%+ non-White VAP and it can be pretty plausibly argued that Harlem and Brooklyn are disparate communities versus Harlem and the UWS.

It's not a court issue, it's a political issue. The north Manhattan seat has to sufficiently minority that it's not going to elect a white politician. You *might* be able to get away with the UWS, but certainly nothing south of that. (Incidentally, all of Manhattan north of 59th St on the west side and of 96th St on the east side is exactly one district, which is almost too neat to be true.)

On the whole, this map eliminates a minority seat in northern Manhattan in favor of creating a white seat in Brooklyn, which is just not viable.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #836 on: February 02, 2022, 03:14:59 PM »

This analysis was too amazing not to share.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #837 on: February 02, 2022, 03:20:01 PM »

The best part of that dumpster fire take was that cinyc did this breakdown after Thorongil made one of the 2017 mayoral map. And in that election Malliotakis won the 6th as drawn by about 2 points, while doing almost exactly the same as Silva in this local election. So he actually did worse than other city-wide GOP'ers here!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #838 on: February 02, 2022, 03:23:31 PM »

This analysis was too amazing not to share.

NY-06 Safe Dem>Lean R
#CantDismissTheCurtis
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #839 on: February 02, 2022, 03:27:24 PM »

She also a DSA member. Makes me wonder if DSA memberrs in state Senate could shoot it down but I think most likely it passes with 2/3rds or more.

She also represents Red Hook where the map gets quite crazy so maybe that has something to do with it too.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #840 on: February 02, 2022, 03:28:46 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/fe817ecb-ce7f-405e-8a00-6e2fcc802294
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #841 on: February 02, 2022, 03:43:25 PM »

Watching the live stream they passing stuff extremely fast in the State Senate lol (nothing on the maps yet)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #842 on: February 02, 2022, 03:47:37 PM »

They about to vote I think

https://www.nysenate.gov/

Stream
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #843 on: February 02, 2022, 03:49:26 PM »

I mean if it comes up for a vote its obviously going to pass.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #844 on: February 02, 2022, 04:25:00 PM »

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #845 on: February 02, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »

Important to note that both chambers passed a very slightly modified congressional map, with only a handful of census blocks swapped which has no effect on the overall partisanship or racial makeup of any district.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #846 on: February 02, 2022, 04:50:43 PM »

So much for the two thirds threshold lol. New York really pulled through
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #847 on: February 02, 2022, 05:03:15 PM »

Important to note that both chambers passed a very slightly modified congressional map, with only a handful of census blocks swapped which has no effect on the overall partisanship or racial makeup of any district.

Hopefully it is near the CD-1, CD-2 border in Nassau Co...
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #848 on: February 02, 2022, 05:05:33 PM »

The changes were two 0 population census blocks being swapped in NY-10 from what I can tell.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #849 on: February 02, 2022, 05:15:00 PM »

The changes were two 0 population census blocks being swapped in NY-10 from what I can tell.

Had a feeling it was something like that. 
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies