2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:24:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 102771 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: January 24, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »

I assume the Dem's proposed another, perhaps even more biased map, and the GOP has just had enough. Of course they are playing into Dem hands here, but that might just be the only option.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #576 on: January 26, 2022, 01:46:53 PM »

Maps coming next week.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #577 on: January 26, 2022, 01:54:01 PM »

I’m thinking 22-4 map, similarish to what we currently have but NY-24 becomes safer for Ds, and NY-1, NY-11 get turned into narrow Biden seats the GOP could win, and NY-18 and NY-19 get shored up as much as possible. Rural R upstate seat is inevitably going to be cut. I don’t see the Rochester-Buffalo snake and an aggressive 22-3 happening.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2022, 05:56:20 PM »

Looks like they are going to shoot for 23-3.

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #579 on: January 26, 2022, 05:58:36 PM »

Watch them not go through with it.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #580 on: January 26, 2022, 06:00:00 PM »

I'm still skeptical of 23-3 coming to pass, but I think the signaling thus far has been unmistakable. The people who matter want an aggressive map.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #581 on: January 26, 2022, 06:04:19 PM »

If you actually read through the memo, it's like SPM and the insiders have already drawn a map and are just describing into the legislature.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #582 on: January 26, 2022, 06:12:40 PM »

Surprised by the Manhattan Staten island push. Always thought they would always have it take in Brooklyn Progs.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #583 on: January 26, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »

Surprised by the Manhattan Staten island push. Always thought they would always have it take in Brooklyn Progs.
"Who needs road continuity when there's the Staten Island ferry?" - whoever came up with that idea.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #584 on: January 26, 2022, 06:16:00 PM »

"Who needs road continuity when there's the Staten Island ferry?" - whoever came up with that idea.

Yeah but someone has to take in those progressives now.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2022, 06:17:14 PM »

I mean if any district has justification to use water crossing, its this one. 70K average riders per day on the ferry.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2022, 06:23:53 PM »

An interesting thing is the immediate effects of Katko's retirement. SPM does propose resurrecting the earmuffs, but not to create a third Dem seat between Rochester and Buffalo. No, the earmuffs are the Rochester seat. Instead, eastern Rochester and the suburbs would go with Syracuse connected by the shoreline towns and not much else. Most of Ithaca and Binghamton would go in NY-19.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #587 on: January 26, 2022, 07:35:40 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #588 on: January 26, 2022, 07:42:52 PM »

Yeah, that NY-22 isn't looking real safe. Even without Katko, I think Syracuse has some ticket splitters.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #589 on: January 26, 2022, 07:52:56 PM »

Holy sh!t, the Dems did NOT come to play with that memo

It only took two decades but Democrats have finally gotten good at the game pioneered by Tom Delay.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #590 on: January 26, 2022, 08:05:25 PM »

I feel like a NY-11 Staten Island - Lower Manhattan District could theoretically be won by Sarah Davis type Republicans if partisanship was reduced and they played all their cards right (not gonna happen) as it seems like a very high-propensity, somewhat diverse, pragmatic professional family sort of district. They'd obv have to run up large margins in Staten Island and prolly cut down the margins in Lower Manhattan Suburbs such as Battery Park City. Would be funny though if Republicans somehow ended up representing lower Manhattan
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #591 on: January 26, 2022, 08:05:27 PM »

Very, very pleasantly surprised. A beautiful fair map out of the Empire state!
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #592 on: January 26, 2022, 08:07:17 PM »

Yeah, that NY-22 isn't looking real safe. Even without Katko, I think Syracuse has some ticket splitters.

Seems like their goal was to make all the other upstate seats safe or likely D; if you try to redistribute NY-22 to even out partisanship you're gonna get a bunch of ~ Biden + 11 districts which could start getting iffy and certain incumbents would be really unhappy.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #593 on: January 26, 2022, 08:09:51 PM »

I feel like a NY-11 Staten Island - Lower Manhattan District could theoretically be won by Sarah Davis type Republicans if partisanship was reduced and they played all their cards right (not gonna happen) as it seems like a very high-propensity, somewhat diverse, pragmatic professional family sort of district. They'd obv have to run up large margins in Staten Island and prolly cut down the margins in Lower Manhattan Suburbs such as Battery Park City. Would be funny though if Republicans somehow ended up representing lower Manhattan

Bring back the ghost of Guy Molinari! The district was Staten Island-Lower Manhattan when he first got elected to Congress in 1980.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #594 on: January 26, 2022, 08:10:23 PM »

conceding 2 GOP upstate seats and then keeping one more middling Biden seats is probably the smarter play than trying to make all the other seats a little bit redder. Not really something for Dems to be particularly unhappy about
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #595 on: January 26, 2022, 08:15:41 PM »

I guess the Dems assume the NYS high court is hack city, and the NYS Constitutional  provision that maps should not unduly favor one party is a dead letter. They are also assuming that the Dems in the state senate other than the false flag Simcha Felder perhaps, will vote unanimously for the map.

It becomes ever more clear to me that humans should not draw maps. The species is just too flawed to handle it. Black boxes should based on tight algorithms.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #596 on: January 26, 2022, 08:36:52 PM »

I guess the Dems assume the NYS high court is hack city, and the NYS Constitutional  provision that maps should not unduly favor one party is a dead letter. They are also assuming that the Dems in the state senate other than the false flag Simcha Felder perhaps, will vote unanimously for the map.

It becomes ever more clear to me that humans should not draw maps. The species is just too flawed to handle it. Black boxes should based on tight algorithms.

I'm hoping that the experience of IL and, perhaps, NY will lead more Republicans to the same conclusion.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #597 on: January 26, 2022, 08:53:24 PM »

It's not hard to imagine applying the Ohio SC's dissent ruling onto the New York map adjusted for state laws and come up with the same legal BS philosophies they used over there (Proportionality not mentioned anywhere so don't use it, what really is a competitive district, these words are so mysterious we should just ignore them, etc).
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #598 on: January 26, 2022, 09:01:57 PM »

Where are you going to find one of those? They’re called “Democrats” nowadays and NY’s got closed primaries.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #599 on: January 26, 2022, 09:02:45 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2022, 09:19:16 PM by Torie »

I guess the Dems assume the NYS high court is hack city, and the NYS Constitutional  provision that maps should not unduly favor one party is a dead letter. They are also assuming that the Dems in the state senate other than the false flag Simcha Felder perhaps, will vote unanimously for the map.

It's not hard to imagine applying the Ohio SC's dissent ruling onto the New York map adjusted for state laws and come up with the same legal BS philosophies they used over there (Proportionality not mentioned anywhere so don't use it, what really is a competitive district, these words are so mysterious we should just ignore them, etc).

All of which degrades the very basis of a society ruled by laws fairly applied as opposed to the persons who happen to have the power. It weakens the very foundations of a democratic society. This is a nadir period of all three branches of government, although obviously Biden was an uptick from Trump, but then that is a very low bar.  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies