2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:40:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 102989 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: May 15, 2022, 06:09:50 PM »

Sorry you could not make it to Queens. That was an interesting experience.

Literally the worst timing cause of AP week and also my parents concerns. How was it?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1351 on: May 16, 2022, 05:36:30 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2022, 10:12:51 AM by Torie »

I fixed the AOC seat (and the numbering system), and  we shall see if that fix was adopted today. I think I also have determined what the loadstar of your map was, which perhaps explains all those extra chops. That is all I am going to say.  Angel

Oh, one other thing. SCOTUS may invoke ISLD, and exclude courts from drawing maps, including inter alia the NC map, and throw it into the dumpster, never to be seen again. I have said before, and say again, that redistricting brings out the worst in people.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/have-the-courts-made-gerrymandering-better-or-worse/

As to Queens, I had to endure once again listening to the Intervenors' lawyer for the group that wanted to toss the Assembly maps for this election cycle (they lost) go on and on and on and on, this time for the purpose soliciting clients. I finally interrupted him and asked him if he planned to finish that evening or go into the morning hours. Dan and I finally commenced to walk out, which did finally shut him up. Interesting crowd, to say the least.

Oh, I see the dude filed another lawsuit for his clients in Manhattan to toss the assembly maps. I asked him if that was the plan, and he dodged the question. At least his commute has been considerably shortened.

https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/1526174001403514882?s=20&t=VkMj3lGThtZJAZtwLoFgbA
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1352 on: May 16, 2022, 09:22:20 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2022, 09:26:27 AM by lfromnj »

Waiting.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1353 on: May 16, 2022, 09:43:57 AM »

Watch them be released at 11:59pm
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1354 on: May 16, 2022, 10:17:31 AM »

Waiting.

Inasmuch as it was posted in the morning, that squib contains no information actually. I am going to walk the dog. Cervas has a tough job drawing the state senate map with all those  arcane requirements that sent me screaming to the exits. So he might be under the gun. So it is time for the pack to go foraging.

At least for Congress, he has at least one splendid template to work from to save him a lot of time. Sunglasses
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1355 on: May 16, 2022, 10:55:10 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2022, 11:03:43 AM by Oryxslayer »

Not the outcome the GOP wanted. Also not what incumbents wanted.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1356 on: May 16, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »

That’s a moderate win for Dems though I don’t get why they did that to Buffalo.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1357 on: May 16, 2022, 11:05:30 AM »

Waiting.

Inasmuch as it was posted in the morning, that squib contains no information actually. I am going to walk the dog. Cervas has a tough job drawing the state senate map with all those  arcane requirements that sent me screaming to the exits. So he might be under the gun. So it is time for the pack to go foraging.

At least for Congress, he has at least one splendid template to work from to save him a lot of time. Sunglasses

I would be in the 3rd under this proposal.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1358 on: May 16, 2022, 11:14:29 AM »

Also rip to the Orthodox seat.

Overall, stuff like Buffalo and NY-08 and 9 keep me asking why.

The map seems a tad sloppy around teh edges, but a reminder this is still an initial draft.

Also kinda surprises me NY-21 is only Trump + 11.

Seems like a large emphasis was placed on keeping cities/counties whole
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1359 on: May 16, 2022, 11:15:21 AM »

Ironically this is likely a 23-3 map in a 2018 scenario.

Hurts Dems for 2022 but this makes House very winnable for them in a neutral type of D+2 generic ballot year.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1360 on: May 16, 2022, 11:18:29 AM »

Actually a lot of nyc is quite simillar to my map wonder if it had any influence.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1361 on: May 16, 2022, 11:27:55 AM »

SP Maloney has announced that he’s going to switch districts in an attempt to take out Mondaire Jones. Terrible.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1362 on: May 16, 2022, 11:28:41 AM »

Not a bad map at all. I do think it cuts up the Chinese community in southern Brooklyn a bit too much, and Western NY is very weird, but everything else seems p solid.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1363 on: May 16, 2022, 11:29:55 AM »

SP Maloney has announced that he’s going to switch districts in an attempt to take out Mondaire Jones. Terrible.

I mean it is his home county.  The partisan difference between the 2 is marginal . Honestly some respect for taking the arguably tougher race.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1364 on: May 16, 2022, 11:32:59 AM »

Anyone else find it weird how Biden did slightly better in this iteration of district 2 than 3?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1365 on: May 16, 2022, 11:34:49 AM »

Jones could challenge Bowman and they are doublebunked.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1366 on: May 16, 2022, 11:39:28 AM »

Wow, they really bacon-stripped the Orthodox and Asian communities in south Brooklyn.

At least Tompkins is in a competitive seat.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1367 on: May 16, 2022, 11:41:08 AM »

16th is overwhelmingly Bowman’s current district and its northern boundaries have barely changed.

Similarly, 17th is mostly Jones’ current seat and 18th is majority SPM’s current territory. Maloney is quite clearly the one who is stepping out of line here, evidently because leadership views Jones as a threat and wants him eliminated. Watch for DCCC’s biggest primary spend to be here even though they suppsosedly set stringent rules and blacklisting for “campaigning against incumbents”.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1368 on: May 16, 2022, 11:45:27 AM »

16th is overwhelmingly Bowman’s current district and its northern boundaries have barely changed.

Similarly, 17th is mostly Jones’ current seat and 18th is majority SPM’s current territory. Maloney is quite clearly the one who is stepping out of line here, evidently because leadership views Jones as a threat and wants him eliminated. Watch for DCCC’s biggest primary spend to be here even though they suppsosedly set stringent rules and blacklisting for “campaigning against incumbents”.

Nobody is entitled to their seat. Running where your home is located, regardless of difficulty, is far more noble than trying to follow "your" district as it moves.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1369 on: May 16, 2022, 11:49:53 AM »

Wow, they really bacon-stripped the Orthodox and Asian communities in south Brooklyn.

I have said it before and I will say it again: in order to not discriminate against the various NYC groups that are legally protected, you need to find Whites from somewhere to add into the seats to prevent minority packing, and the Orthodox are just the closest and most readily available. The progressives are also a viable option, but as shown by this map, you need to partially carve them both up for all the minority seats. There is a reason why the GOP's dream map had one of the LI seats reach into the region, rather than use a existing dem seat.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1370 on: May 16, 2022, 11:51:24 AM »

Well we freaked out for nothing lol
kwabbit

« Reply #1371 on: May 16, 2022, 11:58:08 AM »

Slightly odd map, and one that is pretty favorable for Democrats. Standard fare for a Princeton Election Consortium disciple.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1372 on: May 16, 2022, 11:58:29 AM »

I have said it before and I will say it again: in order to not discriminate against the various NYC groups that are legally protected, you need to find Whites from somewhere to add into the seats to prevent minority packing, and the Orthodox are just the closest and most readily available. The progressives are also a viable option, but as shown by this map, you need to partially carve them both up for all the minority seats. There is a reason why the GOP's dream map had one of the LI seats reach into the region, rather than use a existing dem seat.

NY-9 is an interesting choice regardless. Previously the gentrifying areas in Fort Greene/Clinton Hill/Bed-Stuy/Prospect Heights/Crown Heights/Lefferts Gardens were split between NY-8 and NY-9 so that neither was at particular risk for a primary challenge from the progressive (white, at least as far as its voters go) left as demographics change. But this NY-9 could well be plurality white among actual primary voters by the end of the decade, despite pulling out of some of the progressive liberal areas, although its white voters will of course include a lot of Orthodox Jews from Midwood and Italians from Bath Beach.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1373 on: May 16, 2022, 12:04:11 PM »

What will Molinaro/Schmitt do? They are double bunked
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1374 on: May 16, 2022, 12:16:34 PM »

For the umpteenth time, there’s no way they’re holding the Senate if they’re "definitely" losing the House.
What is your reaction to the ny ruling? Does that change your opinion?

Not really.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies