Oregon Bans Retail Plastic Shopping Bags
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:07:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oregon Bans Retail Plastic Shopping Bags
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Oregon Bans Retail Plastic Shopping Bags  (Read 1421 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 10:16:23 PM »

Before I clicked on this, I only saw "Oregon Bans Retail P..." and was wondering why OR would want to ban retail politics.

Naturally because Oregon is extremely strong Centralized Party State from both the 'Dems and the 'Pubs, as opposed to a State with a traditionally weak centralized State Party Structure.... Wink

The ghosts of Hatfield and McCall are still alive and well in Oregon....    Wink

BYOB next time you walk into a grocery store in Oregon....   Smiley

I read that has Hatfield and McCoy and I was confused about why 2 feuding families are so powerful in Oregon
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 10:37:37 PM »

Before I clicked on this, I only saw "Oregon Bans Retail P..." and was wondering why OR would want to ban retail politics.

Naturally because Oregon is extremely strong Centralized Party State from both the 'Dems and the 'Pubs, as opposed to a State with a traditionally weak centralized State Party Structure.... Wink

The ghosts of Hatfield and McCall are still alive and well in Oregon....    Wink

BYOB next time you walk into a grocery store in Oregon....   Smiley

I read that has Hatfield and McCoy and I was confused about why 2 feuding families are so powerful in Oregon

Well, certainly that is not the case, although Hatfield's Mom did come from Tennessee, who I believe was a "blacksmith" on the Southern Pacific Railroad Lines back in the dayz....     Wink

Here's a brief intro to legendary Republican Governor and Senator Mark Hatfield, as well as legendary Oregon Republican Governor Tom McCall.

(This was way way back in the time where we actually had reasonable Republicans running for elected office in Oregon).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hatfield

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_McCall
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 11:48:24 PM »

how is this different than a five cent tax on bags? Calling it a ban seems overly dramatic and counterproductive.

^

From what I've read,  it's plastic bags that are thinner than 4 mils (0.004 inches) that are actually banned.   

The 5 cent tax applies to thicker plastic bags (think turkey bags) and paper bags.

Is a thin plastic bag worse for some reason?

They're used more in mass numbers, and also recycling machines that process plastic waste can't process them and they frequently cause jams.

If the thinner plastic bags are banned, stores will use more of the thicker bags instead.  And any plastic bags I don't think are normally recyclable in curbside recycling whatever their thickness.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »

how is this different than a five cent tax on bags? Calling it a ban seems overly dramatic and counterproductive.

^

From what I've read,  it's plastic bags that are thinner than 4 mils (0.004 inches) that are actually banned.   

The 5 cent tax applies to thicker plastic bags (think turkey bags) and paper bags.

Is a thin plastic bag worse for some reason?

They're used more in mass numbers, and also recycling machines that process plastic waste can't process them and they frequently cause jams.

If the thinner plastic bags are banned, stores will use more of the thicker bags instead.  And any plastic bags I don't think are normally recyclable in curbside recycling whatever their thickness.

So we went to do "big shopping" today and spent roughly $150 on groceries to last us a few weeks worth of food.... we had 4-5 Canvas bags in the Car that we brought into the store, and ended up spending $3 for three more bags (Buck a Bag), which will certainly come in handy in the future, although in reality we only needed to buy one bag....

Not a big deal, although folks will likely bitch and complain about it, but honestly actually was much easier for the "Pack Mule" (Husband) lugging heavier sacks of canvas versus trying to grab all of the plastic bags, many of which will likely fly away and kill migratory birds and ocean life....

It's all about a mental reset... BYOB, let's get rid of the plastics, just like we used to clip the six-packs knowing that birds would die on on the Streets of America...

It is great to see the return of American Eagles after the massive death caused by DDT, as written in by Rachael Carson's book "Silent Spring"....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=silent+spring+by+rachel+carson&crid=2N28GWK9BP1SX&sprefix=silent+spring%2Caps%2C230&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_13
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 11:15:30 PM »

Hillsboro banned them awhile ago and it's just another annoying thing about living here. Yes, I have purchased reusable bags and use them again and again to buy groceries. Unfortunately, I use plastic bags for a while bunch of other things like putting my lunch in them or my running clothes in them. Paper bags are basically useless for both (at least the kind you can buy in the grocery store here are), so I've resorted to asking family and friends for plastic bags everytime I travel elsewhere. I suppose maybe there is a way to order a bunch of plastic bags? That's what I guess I'll ultimately have to do.
Boomerberg2020
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 12:43:15 AM »

Hillsboro banned them awhile ago and it's just another annoying thing about living here. Yes, I have purchased reusable bags and use them again and again to buy groceries. Unfortunately, I use plastic bags for a while bunch of other things like putting my lunch in them or my running clothes in them. Paper bags are basically useless for both (at least the kind you can buy in the grocery store here are), so I've resorted to asking family and friends for plastic bags everytime I travel elsewhere. I suppose maybe there is a way to order a bunch of plastic bags? That's what I guess I'll ultimately have to do.

This is law is so stupid! What was wrong with paper bags?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 01:56:52 AM »

Cuyahoga County OH and Charleston SC also banned plastic bags.

New York state's ban will go into effect on March 1st,  Maine's on April 22nd, and Vermont's July 1st.

Cuyahoga County's ban will unfortunately be pretty short lived I think. The republican controlled (gerrymandered) Ohio legislature has been making a lot of noise about passing a new law banning cities from banning plastic bags. So much for local government control, right conservatives?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies