Oregon Bans Retail Plastic Shopping Bags
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:04:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oregon Bans Retail Plastic Shopping Bags
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Oregon Bans Retail Plastic Shopping Bags  (Read 1407 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2020, 10:45:02 PM »
« edited: January 02, 2020, 09:50:04 PM by NOVA Green »

Not sure if this is the best place to post it, but I couldn't find anywhere else so apologies if the Mods need to shift the thread elsewhere.

As of Today, Paper and Plastic bags are officially banned from retail stores in Oregon, unless consumers choose to pay the extra 5 Cents....

This is the Modern Day equivalent of the Oregon "Bottle Bill", and although there were already many Cities and Counties that had passed similar policies it is now the law of State....

Personally I don't mind it, even although I live in a +20% Trump County.

We already have canvas bags in the trunk or backseat of the car, but never remember to bring them into many of the places we shop in what was a "non bag ban county"....

Not sure about all of you other Atlas Posters out there, but if you don't live in Oregon and are simply visiting, be prepared to BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag) so that we don't deal with all of the litter and trash that comes with disposable shopping bags....

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/mm/production/Pages/Bags.aspx
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 11:02:45 PM »

Probably could've posted this in the U.S. general discussions sub. Anyway, I have a few nice totes I've rarely used and this just gives me a reason to use them now.

I have a collection of plastic bags that I've been recycling as garbage bags and other carrying devices.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 11:11:04 PM »

As of Today, Paper and Plastic bags are officially banned from retail stores in Oregon, unless consumers choose to pay the extra 5 Cents....

I'm confused... how is this different than a five cent tax on bags? Calling it a ban seems overly dramatic and counterproductive.

Anyway I like bag taxes, although perhaps they should be higher. The tax is easily avoidable if you purchase a tote, which is incredibly simple. Totes pay for themselves after a month or two of shopping and are very easy to incorporate into your daily routine. Plastic bags are insidious and most of the time can't be recycled anyway.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 11:41:33 PM »

It's good to use tote bags regularly, but plastic bags can be reused as garbage bags, and paper bags can be recycled or even composted.  Sometimes that will be easier for people than having to bring the right bag(s) with them.  The main problem with plastic bags I think is when they end up as litter.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »

how is this different than a five cent tax on bags? Calling it a ban seems overly dramatic and counterproductive.

^
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 11:04:45 AM »

how is this different than a five cent tax on bags? Calling it a ban seems overly dramatic and counterproductive.

^

From what I've read,  it's plastic bags that are thinner than 4 mils (0.004 inches) that are actually banned.   

The 5 cent tax applies to thicker plastic bags (think turkey bags) and paper bags.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »

^

From what I've read,  it's plastic bags that are thinner than 4 mils (0.004 inches) that are actually banned.   

The 5 cent tax applies to thicker plastic bags (think turkey bags) and paper bags.

Please tell me measuring that is someone's full-time job. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »

The exact same law went into effect yesterday here:

https://www.mbs.news/2020/01/plastic-bags-in-austria-are-now-banned.html
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 11:37:45 AM »

...this isn't a ban. Unless literally every product that has a tax on it is banned, which means hotels and cars are banned in all states.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 12:20:29 PM »

Cuyahoga County OH and Charleston SC also banned plastic bags.

New York state's ban will go into effect on March 1st,  Maine's on April 22nd, and Vermont's July 1st.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 12:38:22 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2020, 12:49:30 PM by Nyvin »

...this isn't a ban. Unless literally every product that has a tax on it is banned, which means hotels and cars are banned in all states.

The non-recyclable plastic bags are banned,  the ones you commonly see at grocery stores.   The "ban" applies to plastic bags thinner than 4 mils,  a standard grocery store plastic bag is about 0.5 mils.

Paper bags are not banned, they only have a recycled content requirement and an associated tax (or fee..?) added to them.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 07:22:19 PM »

The non-recyclable plastic bags are banned,  the ones you commonly see at grocery stores.   The "ban" applies to plastic bags thinner than 4 mils,  a standard grocery store plastic bag is about 0.5 mils.

Paper bags are not banned, they only have a recycled content requirement and an associated tax (or fee..?) added to them.

Thanks Nyvin for clarifying to BRTD / "I am Talking to You", who clearly didn't read anything on the link which I posted.

Apologies if I didn't clarify further in the OP for those simply "doing a seagull".... since I can certainly understand how some folks might have interpreted it as meaning not a "plastic bag ban" but rather paying the extra 5 Cents (or more depending upon municipality for 40% post-consumer paper bags) that are commonly sold at retail stores....

Let's put it this way, a few days before New Years I walked down the street to my local neighborhood corner market and was told that I would have to carry my items since they had run out of their bags and didn't reorder because the law was changing....

A few days before X-Mas, we went "big food shopping" at our local discount Supermarket (No... not Walmart), and were informed that as well, but they did have a stockpile of cardboard boxes that we could use to load up our $100+ grocery bill....

Technically not a ban on "paper bags", and the law allows purchases of plastic bags of certain thickness for items such as garbage bags, lawn care bags, etc....

I'm sure when I have to go back to work this coming Week after the 2 Week furlough at the Factory, we'll get some folks gripping about it, but whatever.... (Rolls virtual eyes).

I am curious if this might help promote what is left of the Paper Pulp Mill Recycling Plants in Oregon, where we have still seen jobs lost, while Oregon is literally exporting recycled paper products to China, only in order to see them reprocessed and then sold back to America as recycled TP or what have you.....

Now it would be interesting to see a US State / Global Map of places that have similar "Plastic Bag Ban Bills" in effect.....

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 07:30:04 PM »

^

Please tell me measuring that is someone's full-time job. 

I believe there is a reporting requirement for businesses, so presumably that means that merchants simply verify their "Bag Men" and affirm they are compliant. Additionally, I understand that there is a $250 Fee per violation, so I can certainly imagine that citizens reporting businesses that are not compliant will quickly make it economically unfeasible for businesses that choose not to comply....

It's a bit different from when Oregon passed the Statewide smoking ban, where in theory you could have (50) smokers in a bar lighting up in civil disobedience, but the bar would only face one fine per incidence, basically a $250 fine for failing to enforce anti-smoking regs vs per individual smoker lighting up....

Although I consider myself good at math, at 0.4 MM might be much harder to distinguish than for example between 6' - 8'    Wink
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 08:23:16 PM »

The thread title: "Oregon Bans Plastic & Paper Bags"

Not "Oregon bans a certain type of plastic bag" or "Oregon taxes some plastic and paper bags while banning one type." No the title clearly states per English grammar that all paper and plastic bags are banned. It's incorrect.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 08:23:43 PM »

smh
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 09:53:33 PM »

The thread title: "Oregon Bans Plastic & Paper Bags"

Not "Oregon bans a certain type of plastic bag" or "Oregon taxes some plastic and paper bags while banning one type." No the title clearly states per English grammar that all paper and plastic bags are banned. It's incorrect.

Thanks BRTD.... glad I have a Seagull keeping me honest, that doesn't want to choke on plastic bags flying over our beautiful Oregon Coast.

Revised the thread title, and certainly was not trying to post *fake news*, despite the fact you could have easily looked at the details had you so desired.

Appreciate your update, and please advise if my thread title still is incorrect....   Smiley
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 10:07:12 PM »

Plastic bag bans are stupid and unhygienic. Not everyone drives, and not everyone carries unhygienic cloth bags around with them all the time. It's a literal nickel-and-dime tax that will hurt the poor more than anyone.

Funny how they're being imposed from on high by liberal legislatures, and never are put to the people for a vote.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 10:46:37 AM »

^

Is a thin plastic bag worse for some reason?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 11:42:17 AM »

^

Is a thin plastic bag worse for some reason?

They're used more in mass numbers, and also recycling machines that process plastic waste can't process them and they frequently cause jams.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »

Plastic bag bans are stupid and unhygienic. Not everyone drives, and not everyone carries unhygienic cloth bags around with them all the time. It's a literal nickel-and-dime tax that will hurt the poor more than anyone.

Huh

This is like arguing that requiring people to carry a photo-ID is bad because wallets are burdensome and unhygenic (?).

I also don't really understand what the "not everyone drives" point. You don't need a car to carry around reusable bags. You can even find some (for cheap) that are collapsible/compressible to the point that they fit inside a jacket pocket.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 07:15:51 PM »

Huh

This is like arguing that requiring people to carry a photo-ID is bad because wallets are burdensome and unhygenic (?).

I also don't really understand what the "not everyone drives" point. You don't need a car to carry around reusable bags. You can even find some (for cheap) that are collapsible/compressible to the point that they fit inside a jacket pocket.

https://www.bagtheban.com/learn-the-facts/health/

Yeah, everyone carries bags around while walking the streets of NY. Want to go on the spur of the moment to buy stuff from the drug store or grocery store? Better hold everything in your hands or spend money to buy yet another dumb bacteria-growing made-in-China "reusable bag". This crap is coming to New York in March. I say no thanks.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 08:03:09 PM »

Hillsboro already had this law and it was extremely annoying as it seemed like every time you went to Safeway or a Trader’s Joe , you would be charged 5 cents per bag and now it will be in Beaverton too which means in a place like Fred Meyer where we buy a lot of things we will have to pay at least 20-25 cents more . Just ugh
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 08:05:16 PM »

Hillsboro already had this law and it was extremely annoying as it seemed like every time you went to Safeway or a Trader’s Joe , you would be charged 5 cents per bag and now it will be in Beaverton too which means in a place like Fred Meyer where we buy a lot of things we will have to pay at least 20-25 cents more . Just ugh

Just put bags in the trunk. This is really a tax on stupidity and/or stubbornness.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 08:30:45 PM »

Before I clicked on this, I only saw "Oregon Bans Retail P..." and was wondering why OR would want to ban retail politics.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 10:13:09 PM »

Before I clicked on this, I only saw "Oregon Bans Retail P..." and was wondering why OR would want to ban retail politics.

Naturally because Oregon is extremely strong Centralized Party State from both the 'Dems and the 'Pubs, as opposed to a State with a traditionally weak centralized State Party Structure.... Wink

The ghosts of Hatfield and McCall are still alive and well in Oregon....    Wink

BYOB next time you walk into a grocery store in Oregon....   Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies