🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:49:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 93
Author Topic: 🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0  (Read 149899 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: January 24, 2021, 06:08:55 PM »

President Marcelo is arriving at his victory speech venue. Ventura is delaying, delaying and delaying his speech. But it seems that Marcelo will only speak after all the candidates speak. When will Ventura speak?

Ana Gomes is about to speak.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #951 on: January 24, 2021, 06:27:48 PM »

Results so far: 5 parishes to count

60.8% Marcelo
12.9% Gomes
11.9% Ventura
  4.3% Ferreira
  3.9% Matias
  3.2% Tiago Mayan
  3.0% Tino de Rans

39.3% Turnout
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #952 on: January 24, 2021, 06:29:18 PM »

Ventura is about to speak.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #953 on: January 24, 2021, 06:36:35 PM »

Ventura "resigns". Sort of. He will run again for the leadership, of course.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #954 on: January 24, 2021, 06:46:19 PM »

President Marcelo is speaking.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #955 on: January 24, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »

Lol

A bit like Renzi "resigned" in early 2017 only to run again for the PD leadership a couple months later (winning in a landslide).

Though to be fair I didn't even expect Ventura to go through with an official resignation, so he beat my extremely low expectations.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #956 on: January 24, 2021, 07:00:02 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2021, 10:44:40 PM by Mike88 »

Lol

A bit like Renzi "resigned" in early 2017 only to run again for the PD leadership a couple months later (winning in a landslide).

Though to be fair I didn't even expect Ventura to go through with an official resignation, so he beat my extremely low expectations.
He did it in a way like "yeah, I know what I said, I will do that sure, but look at them (the leftwing), I crushed them". So, not very convincing, but still.

Also, Marcelo is basically saying to the PSD, "Put your act together, and show you are an alternative". He also seemed to suggest, IMO, that he will be much more interventional in government affair which can create problems for Costa, we'll see.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #957 on: January 24, 2021, 07:26:30 PM »

Final results:

60.7% Marcelo
13.0% Gomes
11.9% Ventura
  4.3% Ferreira
  4.0% Matias
  3.2% Tiago Mayan
  2.9% Tino de Rans

39.5% Turnout

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #958 on: January 24, 2021, 07:42:23 PM »

UCP-CESOP poll for RTP:

Vote share % (compared with the previous poll)

35% PS (-4)

23% PSD (-5)
  9% CHEGA (+1)
  8% BE (+1)
  7% IL (+2)
  6% CDU (nc)
  2% PAN (nc)
  2% CDS (nc)
  1% Livre (+1)
  7% Others/Invalid (+4)

Poll conducted on 24 January 2021 as voters left polling places. Polled 4,627 voters.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #959 on: January 24, 2021, 09:31:55 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2021, 09:38:55 PM by Mike88 »

Parish map of the 2021 Presidential elections:

Marcelo won all districts, all municipalities, and 3,083 parishes (Madeira and Azores not shown in the map but he also won every single parish in both archipelagos). I didn't find any tie between any of the candidates. Ventura won 4 parishes, Joćo Ferreira 3 and Ana Gomes just 2.

Marcelo is the new Jeb! Cheesy
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #960 on: January 25, 2021, 02:23:38 AM »

Marcelo won all districts, all municipalities, and 3,083 parishes (Madeira and Azores not shown in the map but he also won every single parish in both archipelagos). I didn't find any tie between any of the candidates. Ventura won 4 parishes, Joćo Ferreira 3 and Ana Gomes just 2.

All municipalities is brutal. Ventura winning more parishes than Ferreira, considering how historically regionalized the PCP vote is, is also quite brutal.

Also any insight into Ventura doing slightly better in the Lisbon district (which I suppose is cosMopoLitAn?) than in the very right-wing Leiria one?
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #961 on: January 25, 2021, 04:06:09 AM »

All municipalities is brutal. Ventura winning more parishes than Ferreira, considering how historically regionalized the PCP vote is, is also quite brutal.

Also any insight into Ventura doing slightly better in the Lisbon district (which I suppose is cosMopoLitAn?) than in the very right-wing Leiria one?

He probably did better because Lisbon skews younger, and younger right-wing voters tend to pick newer parties while older right-wing voters stick with traditional parties.
crals

« Reply #962 on: January 25, 2021, 04:46:28 AM »

Lisbon's "cosmopolitanism" might be the very reason for that (more minorities to hate on). But he did best in very left-wing areas and there are parts of Lisbon district that fit this pattern.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #963 on: January 25, 2021, 05:08:47 AM »

Parish map of the 2021 Presidential elections:

Is it me or are the 4 parishes Ventura won located in the Alentejo? The part of Portugal that is rural and very left wing?

Did Ventura overperform in that area of the country? (#populism Purple heart ? )
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #964 on: January 25, 2021, 05:09:07 AM »

He probably did better because Lisbon skews younger, and younger right-wing voters tend to pick newer parties while older right-wing voters stick with traditional parties.

Lisbon's "cosmopolitanism" might be the very reason for that (more minorities to hate on). But he did best in very left-wing areas and there are parts of Lisbon district that fit this pattern.

I guess it makes sense. Thank you to both.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #965 on: January 25, 2021, 05:09:53 AM »

Is it me or are the 4 parishes Ventura won located in the Alentejo? The part of Portugal that is rural and very left wing?

Did Ventura overperform in that area of the country? (#populism Purple heart ? )

Spot on.

Someone please make the "Friendship ended with Mudasir" meme with an image of an Alentejo farmer and the following writing:

Friendship ended with PCP

Now
André Ventura
is my
best friend
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #966 on: January 25, 2021, 05:53:56 AM »

Spot on.

Someone please make the "Friendship ended with Mudasir" meme with an image of an Alentejo farmer and the following writing:

Friendship ended with PCP

Now
André Ventura
is my
best friend

Here it is!

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #967 on: January 25, 2021, 06:44:04 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2021, 06:48:44 AM by Mike88 »

Ventura had good results in the suburban ring around Lisbon, where there's a lot of social neighborhood with a lot of minorities. In Lisbon city, he polled a distant 3rd. The worst place for Ventura was my district, Porto, he polled 3rd in every municipality and only in municipalities did he polled above 10%. I have a hunch that football still has an impact in Ventura's prospects in the Porto area and overall, he did poorly in the North. The Alentejo parish wins for Ventura seems to be related with the gypsy community in those areas, according to a pundit I heard on RTP.

Gap between Ventura and Gomes by district:
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #968 on: January 25, 2021, 06:48:52 AM »

Final results:

60.7% Marcelo
13.0% Gomes
11.9% Ventura
  4.3% Ferreira
  4.0% Matias
  3.2% Tiago Mayan
  2.9% Tino de Rans

39.5% Turnout

So the exit polls actually slightly understated Marcelo, whilst having Ventura almost spot on?

That might upset a few narratives.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #969 on: January 25, 2021, 06:54:15 AM »

Final results:

60.7% Marcelo
13.0% Gomes
11.9% Ventura
  4.3% Ferreira
  4.0% Matias
  3.2% Tiago Mayan
  2.9% Tino de Rans

39.5% Turnout

So the exit polls actually slightly understated Marcelo, whilst having Ventura almost spot on?

That might upset a few narratives.
Yeah, that's true. Plus, the turnout predictions were an utter fiasco also. Marcelo was underestimated, while Gomes overestimated. Ventura numbers were spot on. The exit polls also oversestimated Tiago Mayan as he is very close of Tino de Rans, just a 0.3% gap, and some exit polls putted him in 4th or 5th place.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #970 on: January 25, 2021, 07:02:24 AM »

Is there any correlation between areas that heavily supported Salazar and Ventura support?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #971 on: January 25, 2021, 07:08:37 AM »

The overseas results are also interesting. For some reason, Ventura won in Namibia, and polled almost 32% in South Africa. In Europe, Marcelo performed exactly the same as in 2016 and Ana Gomes got basically the same share of vote Sampaio da Nóvoa had in 2016. Marcelo dominated the Americas, even in Brazil (I was expecting here a strong Ventura vote, maybe a "Bolsonaro effect", or overseas voters in Brazil are just still very loyal to the PSD). In Asia and Australia, the results were basically the same as in 2016, with few flips and the only big one was in Timor where Gomes won handily over Marcelo, she was Portugal's ambassador in Jakarta in the late 90's and had an important role in Timor's independence.

All results here:
https://www.presidenciais2021.mai.gov.pt/resultados/estrangeiro
crals

« Reply #972 on: January 25, 2021, 07:41:38 AM »

White South Africans proving the stereotypes right I guess

Football definitely had an impact imo. Aside from Ventura's poor performance there, Porto is also the district where Ana Gomes (known to be ourspoken about SL Benfica's antics) did best.

Ventura also did poorly (comparatively speaking) on the islands. Of course part of the reason is that his rhetoric doesn't resonate as much over there (not that many gypsies or other minorities) but his stance against regional autonomy may have also played a part.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #973 on: January 25, 2021, 07:46:10 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2021, 09:43:17 AM by Mike88 »

Is there any correlation between areas that heavily supported Salazar and Ventura support?
I believe it's difficult to make that correlation because Salazar's regime was a one party state, the National Union (UN) and it got almost always 100% everywhere. The 1958 presidential election and the 1969 general election were the only few expections, with some opposition lists winning some considerable share of the vote but there's few data about those elections. The only data I found, regarding the 1958 election in Porto district, shows that areas the UN won handily, Baićo and Marco de Canaveses, Ventura polled 3rd and 4th respectably, and areas with a strong opposition vote in 1958, Santo Tirso and Matosinhos, Ventura also polled badly in 3rd place and around 8% in both. In Salazar's birth parish and where he's buried, Vimieiro, Santa Comba Dćo, Viseu district, Ventura polled 2nd with 12% of the votes but Marcelo crushed him by winning more than 66% of the votes.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #974 on: January 25, 2021, 07:52:55 AM »

White South Africans proving the stereotypes right I guess

Football definitely had an impact imo. Aside from Ventura's poor performance there, Porto is also the district where Ana Gomes (known to be ourspoken about SL Benfica's antics) did best.

Ventura also did poorly (comparatively speaking) on the islands. Of course part of the reason is that his rhetoric doesn't resonate as much over there (not that many gypsies or other minorities) but his stance against regional autonomy may have also played a part.

I assume the islands are still very supportive of the two main parties and less for smaller parties, like CHEGA also. Of course, Ventura position of banning regional governments doesn't help but there's still a lot of party loyalty in the islands, particularly in Madeira with the PSD.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies